Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

*Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 header

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (98vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that alaniz head the one i sold you?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, I still have that one layin around. The plan was to finish this motor, start on the turbo motor, and build a bone stock motor out of the parts that were left. I since bought a blown h22a4 with a perfect head on it so that leaves me with my three good ones that I was looking for. I have yours and another that need to be fixed, 3 more that are paperweights and the last one that I sawed in half, lol.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 hea

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rosko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm boostin the next build and its gonna take a waaay better set of sleeves than these

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats up with that......my sleeved H22 had very similar sleeves. Then I see other peoples and can't believe it. Who actually makes them???
For N/A it won't make a difference.....but I'd be afraid to boost it too much.
Have you considered BlackTrax to make you an IM? I made power past 8300 with mine and no issues. Very similar setup with JUN Cams and EuroR IM yielded barely an 8000rpm peak. Just thinking out loud!
Have fun with that setup!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 hea

I think the problem with these that I have is that they are just straight sleeves which would be prone to sinking in a boosted setup. Theres really not that much material in the bottom of the cylinder to keep it from pushing downward.

The next step up would be the flanged sleeve, with a flange around the top so its supported in two places. Then there is the GE style that has multiple steps in the sleeve and is also quite a bit thicker and is what I plan on going with. Honeslty I would have saved money if I had gone with them in the first place as opposed to IB, not even counting fixing their mistakes.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by :=:NirVTEC:=: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Have you considered BlackTrax to make you an IM? I made power past 8300 with mine and no issues. Very similar setup with JUN Cams and EuroR IM yielded barely an 8000rpm peak. Just thinking out loud!
Have fun with that setup!</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you talking a whole new manifold or one of their modified stockers?
Old 07-03-2007, 01:51 PM

when you mock everything up keep in mind those pistons are going to grow taller after they reach temp. and they will rock back and forth a bit in the cylinder during stroke depending on piston to wall clearance so one side of the piston could sit taller than the other. on my setup it was mainly the intake side of the pistons i had problems with.

if you dont want to cut the head you can also turn the pistons on a lathe. thats what i did on the next setups when i went 89 and 90mm. also check that gasket and make sure it doesnt hang over the cylinders at all, ive also had problems w/ that as well from cometic. it will chew up the pistons.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow very nice set-up
i think it will make more power than that! but it depends on the dyno i geuss!
the camp1320 header in my opinion will not hinder that much power from the motor. but nobody has really compared it too any other headers yet so who knows? when i got mine i really felt like it was all out all-motor header especially compare to the oem unit!
but where are you having it dynoed i only ask cause i am from iowa also.
sioux city
Old 07-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In terms of building your motor, do you plan on drag? or just autocross?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoldLudeRay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoldLudeRay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but where are you having it dynoed i only ask cause i am from iowa also.
sioux city</TD></TR></TABLE>

Theres a place in Waukee (just west of dsm) called Lund Motorsports. They're know for working on Mustangs, but they just bought a dyno this past spring. Idk if they do any tuning, I plan to do all that myself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Damon Reeves &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In terms of building your motor, do you plan on drag? or just autocross?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

drag racing, always wanted to autocross though
Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 PM

hey rosko this is hunterhk2. I am glad to see it all coming toghether for you.. keep up the good work man
Old 07-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rosko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you talking a whole new manifold or one of their modified stockers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I run a mod'd stocker. Removed IAB plate replced with 2 of their stacking plates. I would talk to Nat@BTP about it. I went with their Stage 3 and it was bored for my 70mm TB. I can't talk about power it made because it was done with other mods, but the JUN cams and BTP3 yielded huge power at 4-4500rpms and made some nice top end TQ further....
Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (Rosko)

MMMMMmmmmm....

That setup looks pretty Pig-Oggin'!!!

Let me know if you need a hand and I'll wheel-hop on down there in the red goat!!

Old 07-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder if anyone has done a Euro R vs. modified stock IM.

I guess it doesn't matter much to me as I can't use anything but an unmodified Honda mani, but I'm curious.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: (117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder if anyone has done a Euro R vs. modified stock IM.

I guess it doesn't matter much to me as I can't use anything but an unmodified Honda mani, but I'm curious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i have on a dynojet. i cant remember the exact numbers but the euro r was a big improvement in hp and tq. i will try to fing the graghs, this was several years ago. i tryed two different stock manifolds. one w/ only the butterflies removed and another w/ the baffles cut out and polished.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (117)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 117 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder if anyone has done a Euro R vs. modified stock IM.

I guess it doesn't matter much to me as I can't use anything but an unmodified Honda mani, but I'm curious.</TD></TR></TABLE>

jdogg just did this test, and came out with a very small difference. link in a second

edit: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1993840
Old 07-04-2007, 10:35 PM
most hood white kid

Good luck Shawn!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:34 AM

nice work so far man
Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoldLudeRay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoldLudeRay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow very nice set-up
i think it will make more power than that! but it depends on the dyno i geuss!
the camp1320 header in my opinion will not hinder that much power from the motor. but nobody has really compared it too any other headers yet so who knows? when i got mine i really felt like it was all out all-motor header especially compare to the oem unit!
but where are you having it dynoed i only ask cause i am from iowa also.
sioux city</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree still waiting to see some comparisions.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by :=:NirVTEC:=: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I run a mod'd stocker. Removed IAB plate replced with 2 of their stacking plates. I would talk to Nat@BTP about it. I went with their Stage 3 and it was bored for my 70mm TB. I can't talk about power it made because it was done with other mods, but the JUN cams and BTP3 yielded huge power at 4-4500rpms and made some nice top end TQ further....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What cams did you use prior to the Jun's ?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lude98SH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lude98SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What cams did you use prior to the Jun's ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Previously using S2S1's with stock IM, head gasket, valves...
Power was dropping before 8000 with them....not sure if I can blame the cams or IM for that.
The only comparison I have is someones local Prelude with 11:1cr(similar to mine) JUN cams and EuroR.....power dropping before 8000rpms. His car makes about 15whp more than mine PEAK, but I attribute that to an SMSP header and EuroR head(better finishing). As we all know PEAK power is just a number though.
When I build my N/A motor I will not rest on the dyno until I see what a EuroR VS BTP3 does.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 AM

Wow very nice setup! Keep us updated with numbersssss!! lol
Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice build
Old 07-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xiaogou)

Thanks for the good words everyone, I'd have never gotten this far without h-t.

Small update... I assembled the block with the thinner .03" headgasket I have and clayed it with the cam gears zeroed out and it looks pretty good. about .05" piston to head and about .125-.150" piston to valve.

Once I get the .06" headgasket I'll be able to do a little more. I'll assemble a few dummy springs in each side and play with the cam gears a bit and get a better feel for exactly what the clearances are at different points. Using Belbens degree wheel and drop indicators I should be able to get a pretty exact measurement at any point int the cycle. I'll also try to get an idea of the valve to valve clearance with these cams.

Ohhh, I bought a snap-on valve lash adjusting tool awhile back, finally got a chance to use it and man that thing is great! Its like a combination screwdriver with a wrench over top of it so you can set the valve lash with the screwdriver and then hold the screw in place while you tighten the nut to keep the screw from moving. definately a must have tool
Old 07-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rosko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ohhh, I bought a snap-on valve lash adjusting tool awhile back, finally got a chance to use it and man that thing is great! Its like a combination screwdriver with a wrench over top of it so you can set the valve lash with the screwdriver and then hold the screw in place while you tighten the nut to keep the screw from moving. definately a must have tool </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yeah dude, I'll never do a valve adjustment w/o one.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Shawn, is it up and running yet? It sure looks pretty.

Builds like this make me want to sleeve my motor to 90mm and swap an H22 head. Helloooo 200wtq.

Pirate
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PirateMcFred)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PirateMcFred &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So Shawn, is it up and running yet? It sure looks pretty.

Builds like this make me want to sleeve my motor to 90mm and swap an H22 head. Helloooo 200wtq.

Pirate
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its getting there, my head gasket came in today! I don't really have much time during the week, but little by little I should be able to get it buttoned up and have it ready to drop in this weekend. Then theres exhaust work to be done and a little bit of wiring too. Doubt I'll have it fired up this weekend but I should definately be making some progress.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ran into a bit of a bottleneck this morning. The cams degreed out just fine, but the measured lift at the retainer is a little short and I can't figure out why. Any ideas? I took all the valve lash out as recommended by skunk2, vtec is locked in and the indicators are both parallel to the axis of the valve.

I'm coming up with .487" lift on the intake when it should be .504" and .464" on the exhaust side when it should be .472" Maybe I'm just being ****, but something just doesn't seem right.

Quick Reply: *Rosko's H23vtec build* N/A 12.0:1, Sk2 Pro2, Euro R, RDX Injectors, Alaniz ported, Camp1320 header