Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26!

So I have made some money after starting a job since last semester ended that I want to spend on a motorcycle. Many reasons for this, much of which the members of this part of the board share: fun, gas saving, etc. However, I do not have the desire, skill or ability to go buy a $10k bike to kill myself and leave debt behind the flaming fireball that is my parents' son.

Moving on, I am set on buying a mid-80's -> new sports bike that is =< 500cc, because of the death and money factor. Let me mention that I live in a fairly small city in Central New York, so the market for sport bikes is smaller than ATVs and dirtbikes, which means I have to look in bigger cities around the area (Rochester, Syracuse, Binghamton and whatever is in between) So I go searching, having almost no experience in the used motorcycle market, I check dealers which seem to have 1 or 2 used bikes tops, and mostly carry brand new 600cc expensive suicide devices. If I hated my parents and wanted to die, perfect choice, however I would easier off myself for free.

Moving on, I hit up craigslist and cycletrader, which rarely provide deals for the thrill-seeking college student. I do not want to spend over $4k, and want to look more in the $2k range and below. Now I know I am not going to find a 2007 for such a low price, but I am not asking for a gift from god. However, my collection of benjamins will allow me to barter for an '08 Ninja 250, but appearantly those fly off the shelves like free money as of late because they finally redesigned the bike and gas prices are through the roof. But, I find myself asking if it is really worth buying such an expensive bike that people say I will outgrow very quickly? Probably not, but it seems like Ninjas blink out of existence in central New York after 2 years since 2007 is the oldest model 250 I can find, and I am not paying $3k for one when the new one costs just 1 week's pay more.

That was all just entertainment, my question is this: Where do I find myself a bike?!

Cliffs: read the 2 lines above. ^
Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (CblP s40)

13x.wera.com

Old 06-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (CblP s40)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">13x.wera.com

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (GraphiteAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://forums.13x.com/forumdis...mid=6

</TD></TR></TABLE>fixed

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGlovr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a few places i frequent to stay abreast of market prices:

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zeroforum?id=71

http://r6messagenet.com/forums...?f=53

http://forums.13x.com/forumdis...id=48

http://www.nesba.com/TrackTalk...Login=

http://www.sportbikes.net/foru...?f=46

http://www.cbrforum.com/forumid_21/tt.htm

http://www.600rr.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24

http://www.craigslist.org

http://www.2wf.com/classifieds

http://www.stuntusa.com/forums...?f=14

http://www.kawiforums.com

http://www.gixxer.com/forums

http://www.recycler.com

http://www.bayarearidersforum....id=70

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (EGlovr)

Fireblades.org guy has a 01 954 or s/t like that for 2k..lots of great bikes on there for cheap..most around 2000 models though.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (Slidin'Sidewayz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slidin’Sidewayz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fireblades.org guy has a 01 954 or s/t like that for 2k..lots of great bikes on there for cheap..most around 2000 models though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am not really interested in someone's beater stunt/track bike. But thanks for the links guys, though it is tough to locate a bike close to me on a countrywide forum.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CblP s40 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am not really interested in someone's beater stunt/track bike. </TD></TR></TABLE>

for 2k, what do you expect?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would look for something like a Ninja 500, Nighthawk, Seca II, etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (GraphiteAccord)

Craigslist. Be willing to travel, because you're not going to find anything in middle-of-nowhere New York. Hint: Ohio is the hot-spot for used motorcycles in the Northeast.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for 2k, what do you expect?</TD></TR></TABLE>
He wants an '08 1000RR with 0 miles for $1999. Just like everybody else.

When he snaps back to reality, he'll realize that he should just walk into a Kwak dealership and ORDER an '08 Ninja 250, since that's what he seems to want.

The funny part is, despite being a poor "thrill-seeking college student," he thinks he is somehow less likely to die on a 250 vs. a 600.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The funny part is, despite being a poor "thrill-seeking college student," he thinks he is somehow less likely to die on a 250 vs. a 600. </TD></TR></TABLE>

still blows me away that people start on bikes that big...When I was 15, a 250 was considered pretty damn fast. I wasn't allowed to touch a restricted one until I was older....
Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GraphiteAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

for 2k, what do you expect?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Something older... in my original post I stated that I was looking for something '85 and newer. And I did state the budget I allocated for myself, I am not expecting a new liter bike. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Craigslist. Be willing to travel, because you're not going to find anything in middle-of-nowhere New York. Hint: Ohio is the hot-spot for used motorcycles in the Northeast.

He wants an '08 1000RR with 0 miles for $1999. Just like everybody else.

When he snaps back to reality, he'll realize that he should just walk into a Kwak dealership and ORDER an '08 Ninja 250, since that's what he seems to want.

The funny part is, despite being a poor "thrill-seeking college student," he thinks he is somehow less likely to die on a 250 vs. a 600. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do people even read or do they just flame? No one starts their car driving career on a Ferrari, and I don't plan on starting mine on a liter. A 250 will be more forgiving. I've ridden bikes before, and I could just as easily kill myself on a 60's Honda s90 if I was careless.

Whatever, I can take flames. Read more post less.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I started on a 600 gsxr, nothing wrong with starting on a 600.

As for finding a bike cheap, try ebay thats about it. You can usually find a ninja 500 for 2k or less or you can find a 600 that has been dropped and needs a little TLC for that. I almost picked up a 99 ninja 600 for 1600 that needed some cosmetics but was nice other than that........be prepared to look HARD and long!
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CblP s40 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do people even read or do they just flame? No one starts their car driving career on a Ferrari, and I don't plan on starting mine on a liter. A 250 will be more forgiving. I've ridden bikes before, and I could just as easily kill myself on a 60's Honda s90 if I was careless.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Obviously you didn't read my post as attentively as I read yours, because nowhere in it was I suggesting that you get a larger bike.

The problem is that you seem to think that bike size has some sort of direct relationship with possibility of injury. It doesn't. Any bike is dangerous, especially at normal traffic speeds on a public road. I couldn't tell you how many times I've nearly died riding conservatively on a straight road at 35mph - and it's mainly because of idiot drivers either not paying attention or pulling stupid moves. I ride slowly and cautiously, but I can't control what retards around me are doing.

I have a 750. Am I going to go splat because I have a 750 instead of a 250? No. Would I not go splat if I had a 250 instead of a 750? No. If I am going to go splat, it's going to be because I chose to ride anything at all.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Bought my bike from a friend that wrecked it a couple years back and never got around to fixing it. 00 ZX6r with 7.7k miles that is mechanically perfect for 1500. Put about 700 into new tires, some paint and bodywork, (screwed it up though, have to redo it), tank, and subframe It may not be the best looking bike, but still looks good.

If your mechanically inclined I would take a look into a dropped bike (frame, motor, etc still ok) Just make sure to have it looked at by someone that really knows what there doing before you buy. i.e. no cracked frame
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (uneek4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uneek4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I started on a 600 gsxr, nothing wrong with starting on a 600.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except that it hampers and slows the learning process, and makes many shitty riders.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look for an older GPZ or gixxer. they usually sell for decent prices.

try searching for a 90-94 ninja ex500

i got mine for 1,000 bucks w/ 10k miles in perfect condition. (about a year ago).
Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Obviously you didn't read my post as attentively as I read yours, because nowhere in it was I suggesting that you get a larger bike.

The problem is that you seem to think that bike size has some sort of direct relationship with possibility of injury. It doesn't. Any bike is dangerous, especially at normal traffic speeds on a public road. I couldn't tell you how many times I've nearly died riding conservatively on a straight road at 35mph - and it's mainly because of idiot drivers either not paying attention or pulling stupid moves. I ride slowly and cautiously, but I can't control what retards around me are doing.

I have a 750. Am I going to go splat because I have a 750 instead of a 250? No. Would I not go splat if I had a 250 instead of a 750? No. If I am going to go splat, it's going to be because I chose to ride anything at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but if you are going to crash because of your inability to control a much more powerful bike, then the size of the bike does matter. And that is what I am talking about. I know I cannot control what other people do. But if I buy a more forgiving bike then I will be more in control of what I am doing.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i started out on my f4i which is a 600. starting out on a big bike doesnt make you a shitty rider. it's the opposite. i was scared shitless of my bike when i first rode it, which made me take it slow. on a 250, i probably would have gone full throttle the first chance i got. if you buy an older buy, know that it's going to take a lot of money for you to keep them running properly. older bikes are less reliable and parts for them are harder to come by. i'd shoot for a newer ninja if you want a 250 or at least something from the early 2000's. i got my 01 f4i for $3k. also, if you plan on spending only a small amount on everything you need to ride, you are making a huge mistake. riding gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, boots) will cost you a lot more than you anticipated. my helmet alone costed me $300 and that was one of the lower line shoei's. do NOT go cheap when you decide to ride.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you want a GS500. you should be able to find one all day everyday for less than 3k. craigslist will be your best bet.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi!

If you want something less than 500 cc and less than $10k.

I suggest looking at the 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. Looks great and only priced at $3500 MSRP.

I am getting once I am finished with my MSF ccourse.

Here is a pic:

Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 AM
Suspetise...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Why is it impossible to find cheaper motorcycles to buy? Help me /26! (Numba1 B Series)

I know you're trying to be helpful, but...did you read his posts at all? He already said he's considering the '08 Ninja 250.

To the OP, if you do decide to go the EX250 route, research them a little. There were some changes earlier on in the years (late 80's I think?) that were pretty significant. The earliest ones had some issues and now have poor parts availability with limited interchange between the newer models. The price won't vary that much (hasn't in the 6-8 months I've been watching), so you might as well get a slightly newer and better one. Keep in mind when I say "better" I'm talking about things like front forks, carbs (driveability), that kind of thing, not "faster".