Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6?

I think its time I lubed my chain.. I believe I have an O-ring type chain.. not sure what that means but what kind of lube should I be using? Do I need a cleaning solvent as well as a lube?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:16 AM
D2N

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (R6)

You'll get a million different replies to this (kinda like "what kind of oil should I use?"), I'll letcha know what has worked for me.

Go for a ride ta warm the chain up, WD40 a rag and clean the chain then apply chain lube (I use PJ-1 Blue Label) and then re-wipe the chain off with the rag again afterwards to prevent excessive fling off.

If you can, let the bike sit for a half hpur or so and remember ya only need to lube the side if the chain that contacts the sprockets.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (D2N)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D2N &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll get a million different replies to this (kinda like "what kind of oil should I use?"), I'll letcha know what has worked for me.

Go for a ride ta warm the chain up, WD40 a rag and clean the chain then apply chain lube (I use PJ-1 Blue Label) and then re-wipe the chain off with the rag again afterwards to prevent excessive fling off.

If you can, let the bike sit for a half hpur or so and remember ya only need to lube the side if the chain that contacts the sprockets.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you own a r6 as well? I just want to make sure that we are on the same boat here
also you said let the bike sit for half hour or so.. this is after I apply the pj-1 blue?
When you say I only need to lube the side.. could you be a lil more specific? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:49 AM
D2N

Sprotbikes within the last 10+ years have all used O-ring chains in various sizes.

Several lubes out there - was just lettin ya know what I use.

What I meant on the "side" was the surface of the chain that contacts the sprockets - IOW the surface of the chain that is upward facing under the swingarm.

Yes - let sit after lubed.

Not an R6 owner.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:56 AM

I use Bel-Ray chain lube it sticks alot better than the PJ1
Old 08-28-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: (CBRF4i)

are there any lubes you should not use for o-ring chains? Autoparts store nearby had a can for 4 bucks.. it was called "gear and chain lube" didn't say specifically what kind of vehicle it was for.. but I figured I'd try it..
Old 08-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R6)

clean it down w/ pj1 contact cleaner and / or wd40... make sure to wipe off all 4 sides of the chain

then go back and lube all 4 sides of the chain w/ pj1 blue label chain lube, wipe off the excess and go

doing all this on a stand makes life a LOT easier
Old 08-30-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like Maxima Chain Wax...but then again maybe it's because all the mechanics that I work with use it as well haha
Old 08-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (DongTran)

I like the bel-ray chain lube. Its called clean or no mess or somthing like that. But it is a white more like a wax lube. Dont ever buy that cheap *** pepboys chain lube. That **** just flings everywhere and make a total mess.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (boosted-delslow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted-delslow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like the bel-ray chain lube. Its called clean or no mess or somthing like that. But it is a white more like a wax lube. Dont ever buy that cheap *** pepboys chain lube. That **** just flings everywhere and make a total mess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So other than making a mess and flinging issues.. will using the chain and gear lube from auto parts store going to hurt my chain in any way?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:46 PM

Cmon man put 2 and 2 together. If it flings off HOW is it gonna be good for your chain?
Old 08-30-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (CBRF4i)

no, gear oil is not going to hurt your chain.

O ring chains are sealed, with lube inside the seal. the most important thing for them is to use products that do not degrade the rubber seals, and to keep them as clean as possible.

now for the lube on the outside to protect the chain/sprocket interface you will find ALOT of debate. i used chain waxes for a long time (PJ1, belray, maxima, etc) and the main issue for me was how much they attract dirt. for the past 20k miles my chain has had nothing but WD-40 to clean then another coat of WD-40 as lube every 300-500 miles. people think i am crazy, but my sprockets are much less worn with about 22k miles of nothing but WD-40 than they were at 12K with cleaning with WD-40 then PJ1 as lube. the chain stays MUCH cleaner and i am still no where near getting ready to swap out the chain/sprockets like i had planned at 20k miles on em.

i honestly think the biggest issue in chain/sprocket wear is dirt and grime in the system, and the best thing you can do is just simply keep the chain clean. i get alot of flack for using only WD-40 as lube, but when people see my sprockets and chain and then i tell them how many miles are on them it makes em go hmmmmm...
Old 08-30-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: (smokee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smokee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, gear oil is not going to hurt your chain.

O ring chains are sealed, with lube inside the seal. the most important thing for them is to use products that do not degrade the rubber seals, and to keep them as clean as possible.

now for the lube on the outside to protect the chain/sprocket interface you will find ALOT of debate. i used chain waxes for a long time (PJ1, belray, maxima, etc) and the main issue for me was how much they attract dirt. for the past 20k miles my chain has had nothing but WD-40 to clean then another coat of WD-40 as lube every 300-500 miles. people think i am crazy, but my sprockets are much less worn with about 22k miles of nothing but WD-40 than they were at 12K with cleaning with WD-40 then PJ1 as lube. the chain stays MUCH cleaner and i am still no where near getting ready to swap out the chain/sprockets like i had planned at 20k miles on em.

i honestly think the biggest issue in chain/sprocket wear is dirt and grime in the system, and the best thing you can do is just simply keep the chain clean. i get alot of flack for using only WD-40 as lube, but when people see my sprockets and chain and then i tell them how many miles are on them it makes em go hmmmmm...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you for the insight on o-ring chains.. so if all the lube is within the o-ring why would you need to lube the outsides? Is this a misconception?

You said that you are safe as long as you dont use anything that would degrade the seals within the o-ring... so what type of products would degrade the seal?

I have heard people using wd-40 and the consensus is usually split 50/50.. people who use it swear by it.. people who don't say it isn't good.

Would my gear/chain oil work as well as wd-40 for cleaning/lubing purposes?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (R6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thank you for the insight on o-ring chains.. so if all the lube is within the o-ring why would you need to lube the outsides? Is this a misconception?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the lube that is sealed in the chain only lubes the pins of the chain that holds it together, the "hinges" of the chain so to speak. the outside of of the chain still needs lube to protect against water, and to lube the interface between the chain and sprockets. without any lube between the chain and the sprocket you would have bare unlubed metal and the friction that goes along with it. you still need lube there and thats where most people feel light lubes like WD-40 and gear oil/motor oil do not offer enough protection

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You said that you are safe as long as you dont use anything that would degrade the seals within the o-ring... so what type of products would degrade the seal?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

stuff like citrus solvents or goof off or anything designed to remove industrial adhesives could possibly be bad for rubber seals, or rubber in general. you wont run into this really, just read the label, it should say if it is not good for rubber.

Would my gear/chain oil work as well as wd-40 for cleaning/lubing purposes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think it would be fine for lubing as long as it is used often. clean and relube alot and you should be fine. it most likely wont clean the chain at all (neither will any of the waxes like PJ1, etc) because it doesnt have any solvent in it. WD-40 is like 60% solvent or something so the cleaning effect of it is really a side effect of the product. it needs the solvent to soak the solids into nooks and crannies, then the solvent evaporates, leaving the solids behind as lube.

karosene is a great solvent for chain cleaning, and much cheaper than WD-40

alot of peeps dont agree that WD-40 is heavy enough to protect against the pressures that the chain/sprocket interface makes, but i think it is fine as long as you reapply a ton and keep your chain clean and lubed, just dont let it dry out and get super grimey
Old 04-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (Reckless636)

I went excavating and dug this outta the archives..

WD-40 doesn't harm the seals?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (ScareyH22A)

my question is do you guys take your chain of compleatly? or do it on the bike?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (bottle fed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bottle fed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my question is do you guys take your chain of compleatly? or do it on the bike?</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the bike.. w/rear stand.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Grumpy Old Man

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went excavating and dug this outta the archives..

WD-40 doesn't harm the seals?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I only use it to clean the grime off of my chain and even then I just spray it on a rag and wipe the sides of the chain because I'm really careful when I lube my chain so very little grime collects.

I then use Maxima Chain Wax and you only need to spray it so it lubricates the O rings here:

The bottom of the picture shows where you need to spray. Spray in on your warm chain after a short ride and you'll be able to see it being absorbed into the chain. I usually wait a while before riding again so it can really soak in and dry up a little. I'm really careful when I spray and I take my time to just hit the area where the pink arrows are pointing. It's been 2000 miles on the R6 so far and the only wax I've had to clean up was when I got it from the dealership because they really cake in on there.

I'd only think about leaving some wax on the outside of the chain if I did a lot of rain riding and that would be to just prevent rust. I also hit the whole chain when I store it for the winter to help prevent moisture rust from it sitting for so long.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (RebornGSR)

Dayam! How long does it take to clean and lube your chain? Good lookin out with the much useful info.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like belray stuff ive been using it for years. I clean my chain with wd40 and a toothbrush then ride around for a little bit to warm up the orings then lube it up. If you have a rear stand its really easy and fast but if you dont its a pain. You can lube the exposed part of the chain then move the bike or lift the bike up a little on the side stand and move the wheel. It should be one of the things you do often if you want your chain to last.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: what kind of chain lube for a yamaha r6? (Etylorcen)

*subscribes*