Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Motorcycles (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-motorcycles-26/)
-   -   uber exhaust awesomeness!!!! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-motorcycles-26/uber-exhaust-awesomeness-2598944/)

MV99-S 06-30-2009 02:24 PM

uber exhaust awesomeness!!!!

Ok so with a small amount of mandrel bending both at the muffler end and the arrow header end and with a small tab relocation so the end would sit slightly lower, Imagine 2008 600RR Micron GP reawrr!!!!!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/352...edownloadn.jpg

o give an example of the finished look

http://www.suzuki-gsxr600.com/galler...er_exhaust.jpg

Instead of this arrow full system with insert is going on, but if it wasn't for my need to ride long distance and therefore require a more civilized exhaust this is teh awesome.

The quote for the two mandrel bending's needed and bracket modification and adding one to the rear foot peg and the black ceramic coating I'm doing anyway was going to be less than 300 additional, and worth every pence.

I got the can for 330 on clearance and it only weighs 3 pounds so it will sell fast to the intended owners the R6's I guess

MSchu 06-30-2009 03:14 PM

Re: uber exhaust awesomeness!!!!

how do you know it is worth every penny if it hasn't been installed and tested?

MV99-S 06-30-2009 04:18 PM

immediately you a removing a number of tight bends and piping joins those are easy to calculate as is the resulting shift in powerband and then there is the weight 4 pounds less than my arrow and 10 pounds less than stock. not to mention mass centralization and the fact no one else except those with the weird double arrow systems have anything like it. and painted black it would look stock except for the sound.

MSchu 06-30-2009 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by MV99-S (Post 39090432)
immediately you a removing a number of tight bends and piping joins those are easy to calculate as is the resulting shift in powerband and then there is the weight 4 pounds less than my arrow and 10 pounds less than stock. not to mention mass centralization and the fact no one else except those with the weird double arrow systems have anything like it. and painted black it would look stock except for the sound.

I was speaking of performance over mass centralization and weight. If this is just a modification to a arrow header, then it looks really great. is this the rear section to a arrow header?

if its a new prototype full system there is no way of knowing it is worthwhile until you get it installed and tuned/tested

edit: I re read it... I understand what you are doing now. I hope you realize how loud that sucker will be. You have two swappable rear sections, one for the road and one for the track

MV99-S 06-30-2009 07:44 PM

Yeah unfortunately until I had it in my hands I couldnt tell how effective this would be even though this is an r6 ap where there is a pre muffler. After looking at it I realized this is going to be a track based mod and almost before I had gotten the box open I had added an arrow exhaust to my header order which will be here early next week. Another and final red flag was the etching "for offroad use only" that dooms me during any traffic stop in so cal.

The other great thing about this is that it rids under seat temps which as I already have a battery pack made from a123 cells would be a good move. To supplant this with the arrow I am having it ceramic satin black coated pre install and hopefully a thermal barrier coat inside the majority of it as well.

I wanted to use zircotec but the logistics of getting it over to the UK and back plus down time and added cost is not feasible to me at the moment.

life sux die 06-30-2009 08:46 PM

i'd personally go with the Leo Vince GP Pro slip-on if you're going for the "GP" look.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...e_gp_proLG.jpg

or Sato Racing slip-on for the '06-09 Yamaha R6

http://www.satoracing.com/06yzfr6so2.jpg

MSchu 07-01-2009 04:07 AM

Post up a final picture of that sucker when you get it finished... we'd love to see it

tegedrex 07-01-2009 06:54 AM

Or the barracuda

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL214.../368251591.jpg

Starscream 07-01-2009 08:59 AM

That Barracuda looks nice, reminds me of a 2 smoker GP bike lol.

MV99-S 07-01-2009 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by life sux die (Post 39093508)
i'd personally go with the Leo Vince GP Pro slip-on if you're going for the "GP" look.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...e_gp_proLG.jpg

or Sato Racing slip-on for the '06-09 Yamaha R6

http://www.satoracing.com/06yzfr6so2.jpg

Honestly I would'nt buy a bike that came with an exhaust that looked like that. They both look incredibly childish. Pie cut means they could'nt afford to do it right. And the second one isn't even an exhaust it's an expansion cone.

And really none of those compares to microns hydra-formed design aerodynamics or sound dampening per weight characteristics.

Lol whenever I see pie cut things because "mandrel bending titanium or another metal is to hard" I think back to 1996 and dc sports titanium race exhaust they built for a couple of cars as a side project that had no pie cuts and laugh.

There unfortunately was no way to pre check the dampening ability of the micron on a 600rr until I had one for inspection. I'll post a pic with the arrow installed after it gets coated though.

MSchu 07-01-2009 09:41 AM

There is no way Mandrel can be as exacting as a hand assembled/welded pipe unless it is being controlled by a CNC. It stretches the wall thickness and changes the density of the compound being bent. To me mandrel is the compromise technique. Not saying your slip on doesn't look good in those initial pictures, but welding up a pipe is an art form.

Are you hand bending/forming your sections or are they computer numeric controlled?

toshiro 07-01-2009 11:04 AM

in for updates. Get some video of the final sound if you can.

MV99-S 07-01-2009 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by toshiro (Post 39100051)
in for updates. Get some video of the final sound if you can.

this muffler is not getting used but I will post some video of the full arrow system when it's installed.

Originally Posted by MSchu (Post 39098852)
There is no way Mandrel can be as exacting as a hand assembled/welded pipe unless it is being controlled by a CNC. It stretches the wall thickness and changes the density of the compound being bent. To me mandrel is the compromise technique. Not saying your slip on doesn't look good in those initial pictures, but welding up a pipe is an art form.

Are you hand bending/forming your sections or are they computer numeric controlled?

err hand assembly creates piping joins and possibly reductions in piping diameter which reduces flow and changes the piping resonance and power curve negatively. Not to mention fatiguing and possibly warping the material and adding another point for failure.

Not to mention that any angle greater than 15 degrees causes airflow delamination and adds turbulence.

the place I go to has a hydraulically operated mandrel bender but it's done by hand for best fitment no pie cut can match this work.

EKhatch 07-02-2009 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by MV99-S (Post 39106855)
this muffler is not getting used but I will post some video of the full arrow system when it's installed.

err hand assembly creates piping joins and possibly reductions in piping diameter which reduces flow and changes the piping resonance and power curve negatively. Not to mention fatiguing and possibly warping the material and adding another point for failure.

Not to mention that any angle greater than 15 degrees causes airflow delamination and adds turbulence.

the place I go to has a hydraulically operated mandrel bender but it's done by hand for best fitment no pie cut can match this work.

How about showing us an exhaust your favorite shop has done where they made a bend in a length of pipe on their mandrel bender where the pipe had a sizeable increase in diameter from one end to the other.

Air flow "delamination"? Are you sure you are using the correct terminology? I don't know jack about the subject but I didn't think air was layered.

MSchu 07-02-2009 04:49 AM

err hand assembly creates piping joins and possibly reductions in piping diameter which reduces flow and changes the piping resonance and power curve negatively. Not to mention fatiguing and possibly warping the material and adding another point for failure..

That's a considerable amount of speculation.

You speculate that the pipe will be unfinished on the interior... you speculate that there will be a warping of material... you speculate that the assembler wouldn't know about angle deflection... you speculate that the pipe joints will not me magnafluxed...

You make a lot of assumptions

The Birdman 07-02-2009 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by EKhatch (Post 39109302)
Air flow "delamination"? Are you sure you are using the correct terminology? I don't know jack about the subject but I didn't think air was layered.

I would rather not get into this argument, but I thought I would just clarify that by "delamination" he means that the air flow in the pipe will no longer be laminar (smooth).

MSchu 07-02-2009 06:17 AM

Tasty treats...

http://www.spectrum5.com/Solidw5.jpg

FF-Greg 07-02-2009 09:21 AM

I hope it works out well for you. There was a guy on 600rr.net that did a gp style exhaust in hi. and it looked good not sure on the gains but i know it was loud. There have been a few more people since than to do it plus hooligan's bike has one i would pm him.

MSchu 07-02-2009 09:48 AM

Indeed.. at any rate, it looks nice OP

ILcrxsi1 07-02-2009 10:01 AM

A lot of arguing going on in here over 1 hp.

The Hooligan 07-02-2009 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ILcrxsi1 (Post 39112047)
A lot of arguing going on in here over 1 hp.

haha

i agree

ITR_GOD 07-02-2009 02:27 PM

they do mandrel bends on thin-wall titanium?

I like my exhaust, it shoots flames and points to the moon!

GSpeedR 07-02-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Birdman (Post 39109762)
I would rather not get into this argument, but I thought I would just clarify that by "delamination" he means that the air flow in the pipe will no longer be laminar (smooth).

Delamination refers to a flow boundary layer (portion of the fluid flow close to a parallel surface) that is no longer attached to a bounding surface. Also, laminar/turbulent flow descriptions should not really apply to flow in the boundary layer since the "effective" fluid dynamics are much more complex than the flow far from a surface...but they are often referred to as such anyway. When a flow separates, local rotational vortices form, fluid friction skyrockets, and in-line pressure gradients increase significantly...none of which are good.

You'd be surprised what small surface disturbances a boundary layer can absorb and you'd also be surprised how smooth the underside of a welded pipe can be when cleaned up afterward. Either way a mandrel bent pipe or a sectioned pipe can both hamper flowrates (and hence HP) if poorly designed. I agree with everyone else that it probably doesn't matter.

4LugR 07-02-2009 06:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
it can be done. but im going to warn you its not easy.. i finished mine back in april. yea, one of the guys on 600RR .net did it just before me with the same pipe. i didnt know until after i did it.. well his pipe was black, but same one. and yes. its loud. hahaha.

4LugR 07-02-2009 06:29 PM

changes the powerband around a bit. but with the power commander it makes the throttle response crraaaazy fast. oddly enough it picked up quite a bit of low end grunt as well