Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

for the track whores that ride the streets as well

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for the track ****** that ride the streets as well

Recently I had a little situation with my bike falling of the trailer, and have since then converted it to 100% track bike only.

Now that it's no longer streetable, I find myself wanting to ride, especially since the weather is warming up and so forth. Now, my questions is what type of bike do you reccommend for the street? I'm looking at a new GSX-R 600 or 750, a Ducati Monster S4R, or a 749/999.

My issue with the 600/750 or the 749/999 is it doesn't seem practical to ride on the street, but I never had an issue with my previous, and might want something more comfortable? I don't know what do the ppl who track their bikes ride on the street?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:16 AM
.RJ

Default Re: for the track ****** that ride the streets as well (.paul)

So much for that house...

If you cant ride it to work, and you're just using it for weekend ***** to get out on 2 wheels then get a older 600 on the cheap. No sense buying a $8-10k bike that gets ridden 2k miles a year.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:26 AM

Default Re: for the track ****** that ride the streets as well (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So much for that house...

If you cant ride it to work, and you're just using it for weekend ***** to get out on 2 wheels then get a older 600 on the cheap. No sense buying a $8-10k bike that gets ridden 2k miles a year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i bid on a house, and i didnt get it. my realator told me to wait till this fall/winter.

well i can ride to work no problem. I'd like something nice. I'm not a fan of older 600's that much.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:28 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .paul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bid on a house, and i didnt get it. my realator told me to wait till this fall/winter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like your realtor doesnt want the sale.... A bit short sighted to buy a new toy now if you are planning to buy a house in 6 months.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .paul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not a fan of older 600's that much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not enough bling for you? SV650 then.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:56 AM

how about a speed triple? they are more affordable than the ducati's and have more of an upright seating, and it shouldn't be over your price range, they can be had for around 7g's
Old 05-24-2006, 06:04 AM

A brand new Ducati or Gixxer as well as a new S4? Just come clean about your source of income Paul and we'll stop giving you **** about it. There's no way you're buying all these toys sans payment and saving for a house.

As far as the choice of bike, it really depends on how comfortable you want to get. We I straight commuting an SV wouldn't be a bad choice because of riding position but you'll probably want something sportier than that.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like your realtor doesnt want the sale.... A bit short sighted to buy a new toy now if you are planning to buy a house in 6 months.

Not enough bling for you? SV650 then.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, my realator is actually helping me out, by giving me sound advice that I have also researched and found to be true. the market is dropping and its prime moving season, so its slightly more of a sellers market, and in the fall/winter when ppl are in clutch to sell their houses, it's a little easier to get waht you want for the right price.

you know me i'm a materialistic *****, im not into the older stuff.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:37 AM

Default Re: for the track ****** that ride the streets as well (Apocalypse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A brand new Ducati or Gixxer as well as a new S4? Just come clean about your source of income Paul and we'll stop giving you **** about it. There's no way you're buying all these toys sans payment and saving for a house.

As far as the choice of bike, it really depends on how comfortable you want to get. We I straight commuting an SV wouldn't be a bad choice because of riding position but you'll probably want something sportier than that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's either a new car or the bike, and I'm stuck in the middle. My source of income? I live at home, I'm debt free, 20% to 401k, and the rest pretty much goes to saving. I have a good nest egg saved up since highschool. I think its time i splurge on myself with something fun that i'd enjoy a lot. so on that note, i'm stuck inbetween a new ducati(s4r/749/999) or a new bmw(m3/m5).
Old 05-24-2006, 06:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .paul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think its time i splurge on myself with something fun</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol.

What the new Mazda or getting a bike wasn't enough? I mean I'm all for making the most of one's situation but you should seriously step outside yourself and hear some of the things you say. From one rich kid to another... stop making us look so bad!

I'd rather use the money for a bigger house.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

S4r so I can be ub3r-jealous.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:47 AM
.RJ

If you can buy the bike, and still have $20-$25k saved for a house downpayment + $5k+ to furnish it, then I suppose there's no reason not to. We'll still call you a materialistic bitch thouh
Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol.

What the new Mazda or getting a bike wasn't enough? I mean I'm all for making the most of one's situation but you should seriously step outside yourself and hear some of the things you say. From one rich kid to another... stop making us look so bad!

I'd rather use the money for a bigger house.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the mazda was something I needed to get because my exploder broke and was carless, and at the time, all my money was in a CD, and I wasn't going to break that for a more expensive car, and the mazda was fun peppy, it just liquidated my checking. The bike was cheap, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, but I can no longer utilize it on the street, hence this thread

I'm in no way making any one look bad. I want a house real bad, but it's just not happening at this point, and it's unrealistic and would be a investment, but not a good one at the same time.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol... paul...

new s4 = 47k = 800ish/mo over 60 months
new bike = 10k = 285/mo over 36
new mazda3 = 19k = 325/mo over 60
mortgage on 300k house = 1700ish/mo

all numbers are generous and that all comes out to 3110/mo... assuming you have a 60k/yr job, that is pretty much all of your money after taxes. eating, partying, gas, bills, clothes not accounted for.

then again, maybe you're making 6 figures and we just don't know it.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (Mike C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol... paul...</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... mike...
Old 05-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oops i made an error... you wouldn't keep the mazda if you got an s4... still, quite silly.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Commuting with highway riding? Or street-only? The Monsters ergos are a bit easier to take if you're doing the latter, but the lack of wind protection on the highway will make you regret a Monster.

When I had a track-only bike, I kept my Superhawk for street-use only. I could ride that thing all day. The ergos are a lot comfier than a Supersport bike and it has more than enough power for street-riding.

I would suggest a VFR800. Not the newer one with VTEC (unless you like its looks). The previous generation is so much better looking. It handles well enough and makes a great commuter (or sporty-tourer, should the need arise).
Old 05-24-2006, 07:11 AM

sorry, can't own a honda never will anymore.

mike, i would not keep the mazda. i would not get an s4, as my materialism has made it that i want something that is what it is
Old 05-24-2006, 07:25 AM
I miss Andrea.

You should marry your girl and make things easier financially.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:40 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (Newk)

wow...
Old 05-24-2006, 07:47 AM

rob are you kidding? please tell me you're kidding.

cuase if not that is going under one of the dumbest things ever!

im 22! im no way in any means ready to get murried, and get that disease, onegina
Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should marry your girl and make things easier financially. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .paul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">onegina</TD></TR></TABLE>

rofl
Old 05-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Commuting with highway riding? Or street-only? The Monsters ergos are a bit easier to take if you're doing the latter, but the lack of wind protection on the highway will make you regret a Monster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am now getting used to the lack of wind protection. It was pretty bad when I first bought it, but I've forgotten what the R6 felt like and now the Monster feels ok. Plus I got my car back...so it's all good.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would suggest a VFR800. Not the newer one with VTEC (unless you like its looks). The previous generation is so much better looking. It handles well enough and makes a great commuter (or sporty-tourer, should the need arise).</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this 100%. My next bike will probably be a VFR and I have loved them ever since my brother had a few in the early '90's. I would love to have one sitting next to my Monster.

Paul, I don't know if the VFR is bling enough for you...but it's one of the best bikes on the road. You can find them for as low as $3K if you want a 1997 or 1998, which still look great and go like stink. Monster 620s and 750s can also be had for $3-4K if you can stand one that is a little older, like my 03.

And can we stop giving the guy a hard time about his finances? It's absolutely none of our business. I think Paul is pretty unassuming for someone who comes from that kind of background.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:09 AM

ross, i can't own a honda, they are cursed in my family. the VFR is a great bike, but just can't do it.

I don't mind them giving me a hard time about my finances, its part of them being them, it makes threads more interesting

I just would like to make it clear, my parents dont give me any liquid cash, they jsut supply me a place to stay with food until I can afford to buy a house.

And in my situation, I don't need to rent when I have this offer, and im very greatful for it. My relationship with my parents is great, so it doesnt make things hard.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd go for the Speed Triple because its a fun bike, not that expensive, and you wouldn't have to worry about theft as much as you would with any of the Japanese supersports. On the flip side you'd have to do some research into resale value. If you want more bling I think the MV Brutale would be mo' better than a S4R.

If you had to go sport I'd say K6 Gixxer 750 or used 999. K5 GSX-R 1000 wouldn't be bad either. At any rate if you need more cash when it gets towards house-buying time you can always sell your bike. You won't get back what you put into it but you'd probably only 'lose' $2k to $3k for the chance to ride something around all season.

As for house buying I agree that its probably a good idea to let the market continue to cool down for awhile. Don't know if prices will crash but you'll certainly see them slide by a good bit. Especially when a lot of these new homes get finished and inflate the supply.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 AM
.RJ

Default Re: for the track ****** that ride the streets as well (JMU R1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JMU R1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want more bling I think the MV Brutale would be mo' better than a S4R.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That thing is hideous..... looks kind of like a monster, only poorly executed and ugly.

Wont it be hard for getting parts and service? At least the ducati has a fairly reasonbly well supported dealer network, and coleman has 2 shops in the area.

Quick Reply: for the track whores that ride the streets as well