Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Ride Report - Orange County, CA to SLC, UT

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride Report - Orange County, CA to SLC, UT

This is my first moto-vacation and ride report so please bear with me.

After more than a month spent finishing a rebuild of my 1995 Yamaha YZF600 and prepping my newly purchased 1995 Kawasaki KLR650, we were finally ready to hit the road. The plan was to leave the morning of Wednesday March 27th and ride to Zion National Park where we would spend the day hiking and noodling around. The next day we would ride to Bryce Canyon NP and do the same thing which would give us plenty of time to get to Miller Motorsports Park by Friday.

Here we are (I'm in black, my brother Han is in red) at 8:20 or so the morning of Day 1. We're already 2 hours behind the schedule I wanted to keep but we're finally packed and ready to ride.

Our first fuel stop was in Norco, CA which is only 40 or so miles from home. Some dude walked up to us and asked, "What we did" and then wanted some change. I told him we were on vacation and that we don't carry cash so he left.

The weather up to this point has been comfortable but starting to warm up a bit. The winds are a bit gusty in the desert and the KLR's loaded cruising speed is no where near what the YZF can do we we pull into Barstow, CA to take a break and get some grub. In-N-Out FTW. Also FTW was the fact the we beat the lunch crowd!

Before leaving Barstow, we planned to stop in Baker, CA since it seemed that our asses could only manage about 50-70 miles at a stretch. I know you Bimmer and 'Wing guys must be LOL but I'm convinced that "sport touring" is an oxymoron! The ambient temperatures are climbing and Han has to ride the KLR at 70-75 or so to keep the water temps from getting into the red. We're now in heat management mode which anyone with an RC51 will understand We get to Baker, get gas, and hog this spot for 1/2 and hour watching the Bimmers and Winger's roll by.

Between Baker and Primm, we got hit by a thunderstorm which brought bursts of driving rain and gusty winds. I got hit by one gust which produced a pretty big pucker moment but we made it past OK. We get to Primm, NV. get gas, lube the chains, check that we hadn't lost anything and then rode across the street to pose a bit. The security guys started telling us we couldn't park in the vallet lot but when he saw we were just taking pix, he left us alone.

Here's Han hamming it up:

Here I am giving the double ADV salute:

Interstates suck ***. Especially slabbing through the farking desert. We reach Vegas and hit rush hour traffic at 3pm or so. We were scheduled to take a fuel stop in town but opted to move on and get the hell out of Dodge. The bikes had plenty of fuel but my *** didn't so we pulled off just outside of town and take a break.

Somewhere along I-15 between Nellis and Mesquite, NV I was getting mentally tired and Though Han might be as well so I ripped past him and we pulled off onto a Truck Parking area to rehydrate and stretch a bit. Mesquite was 40 or so miles ahead.

We finally roll into Mesquite and by this time, the In-N-Out burger had worked its way through my system so food was on the brain. We found a Mexican restaurant which looked like they had air conditioning so Han ordered the awesome fajitas and I had the chilli relleno. Yes that's an adult beverage but it was the only one and we were there a long time.

Bellies full, we hit the road and quickly crossed into Arizona. The speed limit went up to 75 and everyone just started hauling ***. We descended into the Virgin River Gorge and took it easy taking in the sights. It's a beautiful canyon but I'm sure many lives have been lost in there considering the big rigs were just flying through there with 1, 2, and 3 trailers in tow. Holy CRAP! Just as we're about to come out of the gorge, I spot a Harley on the side of the road so we pull off to see if we can help. The guy's OK but seems to have an electrical issue so I can't do anything for him. He thanks me for stopping and tells me that he's on a group ride with 3 other dudes heading home to Hurricane, UT where we're going. I guess his "friends" didn't seem to notice when he stopped following.
The Virgin River Gorge (not my picture)

I bid farewell to the rider and we hit the road, making it to St. George, UT. by 5pm or so. By this time, Han and I have our hand signals working so we press onto Hurricane. We knew from the map that the exit was about 16-20 miles from St. George but we didn't see a single sign for the park or the town. Not wanting to keep going, I exited and got lucky. We weren't on the right road but it did lead to Hurricane. The problem was the road was being resurfaced and it was our side's turn to wait. The flagman waved us forward and it turns out he's from Pico Rivera which is close to where I work. The truck finally arrives and we pull into town to get gas.

By this time, my bank thinks someone's stolen my card so I have to pay inside which is where I find the beer we were looking for the previous year - Polygamy Porter! I pickup a sixer for us and a quart of oil for the bikes.

Gas tanks full and anticipation of rest pushed us back on the road to Zion. Up an hill and around a corner revealed some spectacular sights. We pulled off into the first vista point to take it all in:

It was getting dark with the sun setting behind us and the park entrance some 20 miles ahead.

The plan for the first day was to make it to the park by 2pm (3pm with the time change). We got to the campground at 8pm (9pm with the time change), rode over 700 miles, and got to our destination in once piece.

We changed and quickly made camp, drank the sixer while watching a ranger present a program about "Arches" in the campground, and went back and passed out. Day 2 to follow!

Last edited by Jasper_db1; 06-18-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ride Report - Orange County, CA to SLC, UT

if you see a bicycle shop near any of your fuel stops pull in and grab a pair of padded shorts. Wear them as boxers and it will do wonders for your @ss on the bike
Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice stuff, I miss you two guy. I would have given anything to make that trip a trio... looking forward to day two(Or the night life :-P)
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by svrider
if you see a bicycle shop near any of your fuel stops pull in and grab a pair of padded shorts. Wear them as boxers and it will do wonders for your @ss on the bike
I was wearing my performance bike spandex shorts underneath and my brother was wearing padded mountain bike shorts. They padded my chode and nuts but did nothing for the *** bones.

Originally Posted by MSchu
Nice stuff, I miss you two guy. I would have given anything to make that trip a trio... looking forward to day two(Or the night life :-P)
Miss you guys too, bud. A Memphis BBQ run isn't entirely out of the question I need to start taking 2 weeks at a time off and get some real distance in. The rest of Day 1 is coming as well as Day 2. I'll resize the pictures too. I forgot Lightroom defaults to 450px
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jasper_db1
The security guys started telling us we couldn't park in the vallet lot but when he saw we were just taking pix, he left us alone.
So the rent-a-cops also like to mess with riders up there too? lol

In-n-out, I want to eat there. I guess that's the first thing I will do when I visit Califa someday lol, everybody always says great things about it.

In for later...
Old 06-18-2009, 05:37 PM
slm

Originally Posted by Starscream
So the rent-a-cops also like to mess with riders up there too? lol

In-n-out, I want to eat there. I guess that's the first thing I will do when I visit Califa someday lol, everybody always says great things about it.

In for later...
Rent-a-cops come in two flavors, hard *** or just don't give a fugg.

Hope to make a trip like this someday. How is the KLX around town? I've been thinking of picking one up.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I bent my Wookiee

Originally Posted by Jasper_db1
I was wearing my performance bike spandex shorts underneath and my brother was wearing padded mountain bike shorts. They padded my chode and nuts but did nothing for the *** bones.
Good to know.

Looks good so far. In for updates!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome! Keep us updated.

I have to live vicariously through y'all.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love seeing this stuff, Duy. My own trip didn't happen, but I'm still young and willing to go out on a limb. In for more pics!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM
cthulward

looks like you're having a blast! good luck!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with the trip, looks awesome. im in a planning stage for my upcoming trips.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Day 2

We're back home already since the trip took place around the time of the SLC round of WSBK. I'm just now getting around to sorting and posting the pictures.

Day 2:

This is what we saw first thing in the morning on Thursday Mar 28. The Watchman Campground in Zion sits right next to the Virgin River. I was lucky enough to reserve this spot.

We got to Zion NP so late Wednesday so we decided to change our plans a bit. We checked the event calendar for WSBK and didn't really see anything we couldn't miss on Friday. We decided to head over to the South Campground in the morning to get a campsite since they were first come first served. The views inside the park are spectacular:

We walked over to the South CG when it was still "quiet time" so we just went about looking for a site that was already vacant. An older couple from Oklahoma said we could have theirs since they were just about to leave. SCORE!

We got the new campsite setup and by now I'm starving need to get something to eat. The couple who gave us the campsite suggested that we do the "Angel's Landing" hike so we took a shuttle to the trail head. Along the way, we met a nice gal from California passing through on her way to Sedona. She was just one of the many strangers we met on this trip that helped make the experience of traveling so memorable.

The view from Angel's Landing:

Last one. The trail is steep and narrow. They've got chains to hold onto since there isn't much to catch you if you slip.

We rest at camp for a while then take a shuttle into Springdale to plan the next stage of our journey over a couple pitchers of Wasatch Evolution Ale and a pizza.

Day 3 is next and we're back on the road!

Last edited by Jasper_db1; 06-19-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Day 3:

We get up and decamp before most of the park is up and were rewarded with unobstructed views of The Great Arch.

We pass through the tunnel honking out tunes like a couple of 8 year olds. The headlights on the KLR might as well be carbide lamps in that tunnel. I've got to put some real lights on that bike!
(not my picture)

Not far from the tunnel exit, we come across the vista point for Checkerboard Mesa so we pose for pictures there too. It was getting warm so we shed the jacket liners at this point.

We finally leave the park and end up getting gas and breakfast at a place called Tom's (I think) on US89. There were three Gold Wings riding up from South Carolina as well as a couple of BMW GS bikes there as well. I wish I took more pictures. Breakfast down, we hit the road heading north on US89 through some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. We went 20 miles without seeing a soul since horse, donkeys, sheep, and cattle don't have those - right?

Anyway, it was pretty warm near Checkerboad Mesa but out on the road, it keeps getting colder. At this point I'm shivering so we pull off to rest and put the liners back in.

We ride north on US89 through quiet little towns that pop up now and then which drop the speed limit from 65MPH to 35MPH. A sheriff was just off the road on a few occasions waiting to spring his trap. The roads were clear up until we got close to Spanish Fork where we hit road construction again. This time we had to ride on the dirt roadbed. I've done it before but this is Han's first time so I think he was a bit nervous about it. Anyway, we get to Spanish Fork, pickup I-15 again and ride into SLC.

Day 4/5 tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slm
How is the KLX around town? I've been thinking of picking one up.
It's a KLR650, not a KLX. The KLR is a great bike in just about every setting but high speed highway travel. It's a really fun bike in the twisties too!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:01 AM
My Name is Nobody

Wow... Utah is really looks like my kind of place...
Old 06-19-2009, 05:05 AM
cthulward

pretty much anywhere in the rockies is gorgeous... i'm riding out there for the 4th.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 AM
My Name is Nobody

Where you heading?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:06 AM
cthulward

teton national park via denver. the way from IL denver is devoid of anything interesting, so i'm going to try to hammer that part out in the first day. iron butt ftw

link

i think i'll take the northerly route home... a friend recommended the beartooth pass, and i might as well pass through sturgis just to see what it looks like without a bunch of bikes.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ragnaroek
teton national park via denver. the way from IL denver is devoid of anything interesting, so i'm going to try to hammer that part out in the first day. iron butt ftw

link

i think i'll take the northerly route home... a friend recommended the beartooth pass, and i might as well pass through sturgis just to see what it looks like without a bunch of bikes.
your ride to colorado is gonna be boring as hell, especially kansas, haha

but when you make it to colorado you'll be very happy !
Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! I love Angel's Landing. There are a ton of hikes like that at Zion's, but that's one of the best. I do love living in SLC and we've got plenty of canyon roads to ride on. However, the only downside is our riding season is 6-8 months out of the year. But skiing's phenomenal as well, so it works out. :p Hope you got a chance to visit MillerMotorsports track. Built up in 06, I think. Very nice facility.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 AM
cthulward

Originally Posted by p nut
Hope you got a chance to visit MillerMotorsports track. Built up in 06, I think. Very nice facility.
the report is from his trip to wsbk at miller
Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

teton national park via denver.
Awesome! I can't wait to read the report

Next year we're going to take more time heading up to SLC and maybe only attending the Sunday race instead of the whole weekend. I want to go through Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef on the way up and then Arches, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Granf Canyon on the way back.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome scenery. I would love to visit it someday!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the report is from his trip to wsbk at miller
Don't know why I didn't put two and two together. :p

FWIW, I like Bryce Canyon area much better than Zion's. Although they're both nice.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We hit Bryce on the way home - stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Ride Report - Orange County, CA to SLC, UT