Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences???

Old 07-29-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences??? (backlash)

We seem to be having these conversations every day.

The RC is a race bike... you'll remember that every time you throw a leg over it. It'll overheat in traffic and roast your nuts. You arms and legs will ache after an hour or two - and your ears will hear singing. It's a pimp bike... park it by the bar's outdoor patio and you're in. Everybody else has pointed it out, but even though it's motor has been put to rest it's every bit of much of a track capable machine as any other bike you'll lay your hands on.

You want a cool RC, though? Go find an RC45!

The 1000RR has been likened to the 'beginners superbike.' It's really not all that fast as literbikes go, but it's smooth as butter and as refined and capable as anything that Honda's ever produced. The inline 4 mill tucked in between the spars is... well, and inline four. Sorry, not going to say anything about it. I'm not an I4 kind of guy. If you're going to ride your motorcycle every day for more than 10 or 15 minutes than this is more the bike for you than the 51. But if you want character in your machine then grab an RC key.

I think I'm a bit tired of hearing all the cynics say that it's so much better to start on a 600 than, for example, one of the above two bikes. To them, I say, "you're showing your age." Start on a modern 600 or a modern liter bike? Whatever, guys. You're reaching - bigtime. Talk to Ross, Apoc, myself, or anybody else that started on something that didn't come from the factory with a displacement set by a sanctioning body and wrapped in plastic: there is more to motorcycles than race results.
Today's 600s will spin up and spit you off just as quickly as the literbikes - don't make any mistake. We shouldn't be giving folks the impression that it's so much safer to start on this race bred machinery. There is a whole world of bikes out there to try out.... some that DON'T make 100 horses for every half a liter. Why not start on an old Bonneville? How about a motard? A ZRX? EX500? GS500? And we've hardly 'left' the plastic bike genre... you can get some real panache the loot you'll drop on some of the fairing rockets these days.

And seriously.... I know that there are VERY few of you who aren't going to take your bike into the hot spots on Friday night. And to that... well, I was in Adams Morgan last night. For those of you that don't know, that's DC's cheap college drink stop. Walking down the strip I saw an old Triumph, a Norton, an SV650 streetfighter, a Speed Four, one of the Monster Darks and a couple pieced together Cafe Racers (and they were HOT). Then, on my way out the Plastic Posse pulled in. GSX-R 1000's and R1's. And they sat there by the bikes and it was sad.

And God shed a tear for the stunnas that all looked the same.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences??? (ASteele2)

ASteele2:
Good read, and with me being an RC owner, I agree with what you wrote about the RC. I especially like the last line
Old 07-29-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend owns an RC51 and a 1000RR. He like's the feel of the RC's front end more but he knows he's quicker w/the RR.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASteele2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We seem to be having these conversations every day.

The RC is a race bike... you'll remember that every time you throw a leg over it. It'll overheat in traffic and roast your nuts. You arms and legs will ache after an hour or two - and your ears will hear singing. It's a pimp bike... park it by the bar's outdoor patio and you're in. Everybody else has pointed it out, but even though it's motor has been put to rest it's every bit of much of a track capable machine as any other bike you'll lay your hands on.

The 1000RR has been likened to the 'beginners superbike.' It's really not all that fast as literbikes go, but it's smooth as butter and as refined and capable as anything that Honda's ever produced. The inline 4 mill tucked in between the spars is... well, and inline four. Sorry, not going to say anything about it. I'm not an I4 kind of guy. If you're going to ride your motorcycle every day for more than 10 or 15 minutes than this is more the bike for you than the 51. But if you want character in your machine then grab an RC key.

I think I'm a bit tired of hearing all the cynics say that it's so much better to start on a 600 than, for example, one of the above two bikes. To them, I say, "you're showing your age." Start on a modern 600 or a modern liter bike? Whatever, guys. You're reaching - bigtime. Talk to Ross, Apoc, myself, or anybody else that started on something that didn't come from the factory with a displacement set by a sanctioning body and wrapped in plastic: there is more to motorcycles than race results.
Today's 600s will spin up and spit you off just as quickly as the literbikes - don't make any mistake. We shouldn't be giving folks the impression that it's so much safer to start on this race bred machinery. There is a whole world of bikes out there to try out.... some that DON'T make 100 horses for every half a liter. Why not start on an old Bonneville? How about a motard? A ZRX? EX500? GS500? And we've hardly 'left' the plastic bike genre... you can get some real panache the loot you'll drop on some of the fairing rockets these days.

And seriously.... I know that there are VERY few of you who aren't going to take your bike into the hot spots on Friday night. And to that... well, I was in Adams Morgan last night. For those of you that don't know, that's DC's cheap college drink stop. Walking down the strip I saw an old Triumph, a Norton, an SV650 streetfighter, a Speed Four, one of the Monster Darks and a couple pieced together Cafe Racers (and they were HOT). Then, on my way out the Plastic Posse pulled in. GSX-R 1000's and R1's. And they sat there by the bikes and it was sad.

And God shed a tear for the stunnas that all looked the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best post so far.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences??? (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend owns an RC51 and a 1000RR. He like's the feel of the RC's front end more but he knows he's quicker w/the RR. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I think I was actually quicker/faster with my sv650s on the track. The RC is a beast to move around.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASteele2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then, on my way out the Plastic Posse pulled in. GSX-R 1000's and R1's. And they sat there by the bikes and it was sad.

Viva la beat up raceglass!!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:09 PM

Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences??? (.Ash)

You guys make me proud!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASteele2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You guys make me proud!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Would you be less proud if I told you I bought a sissy kickstand?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences??? (.Ash)

The rc51 feels really stable but man does that thing you me tired on technical tracks. I rode it around for a couple sessions at streets of willow and after getting back on my f4i it felt like a feather haha.
The rc51 with nice pipes like satos is music to my ears.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 AM

Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences??? (GreyFox87)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreyFox87 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know for sure I want to buy some great safety equipment including: Helmet, gloves, jacket. btw are pants necessary as well as boots, let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes! Pants and boots are required. Why buy a jacket if you're not going to buy pants? Are you legs, ***, and dick any less important that what's above your waist? There are a lot of good textile riding pants out there, buy one and wear it.

Yes, boots are key and should always be worn. The easiest places to get a dibilatating injury are your head, hands, and feet, in that order. Always protect those three things, any other protection protection worn depends on your tolerance for having gravel brushed out off your skin with a wire brush. Get some good boots with a toe and heal protection, and something high enough that it won't come off in a crash.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ASteele2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We seem to be having these conversations every day.

*sniffle* Possibly the greatest post ever. I definitely teared up while reading it.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences??? (Etylorcen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Etylorcen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The rc51 feels really stable but man does that thing you me tired on technical tracks. I rode it around for a couple sessions at streets of willow and after getting back on my f4i it felt like a feather haha.
The rc51 with nice pipes like satos is music to my ears.</TD></TR></TABLE>
SOW is just not the right track for the RC, I was beat at the end of my day there.

Yes....yes the Satos are music to my ears also, I got mine like two months ago.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:54 AM
Trial User

Default Re: RC51 Vs CBR1000RR Pros, Cons, Differences???

Originally Posted by GreyFox87
I've been doing a lot of research on a bike, and I am currently 17, and I am turning 18 this fall, I was wondering about the 2 bike models that I am most interested in when purchasing a 2nd bike later on

What's the difference between the Honda RC51 and the CBR1000RR, besides the engine and the price tag?

Thanks
difference between those two bikes is they were designed for experienced Riders and no offense but but just like if you were my kid my kid throw dirt bikes his whole life but there's no way his first bike is going to be a 1000 Or Nah RC51 there's no shame in getting an old GSXR 750 I wish you the best man watch out for other people
Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your insight....but you're 14 god damn years late
Old 03-02-2019, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

lmfao