Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

NS250R - anyone have experience/insight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 10:14 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NS250R - anyone have experience/insight?

I'm looking at possibly getting an '86 Honda NS250R. It appears to be in excellent shape and has @17kmiles on it. Anyone have any comments on this bike, good or bad? What should I look out for? This will (may) be my very first bike. Oh, and don't say get a F4i or a Gixxer because I can't for several reasons. First, I don't want to spend that much as this is only going to be a spring/summer weekend "fun" bike. Second, I doubt that I could fit on a larger bike. Being 5'2" with a 28" inseam bigger bikes won't cut it . I already tried to straddle a new F4i and it just wasn't going to happen. The only larger bike might be a 500 Ninja or the elusive CBR400.

Any comments.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight? (DSF)

I may be mistaken, but I heard that two-stroke 250's were hard to maintain for the street. Aren't they geared more towards the track? Also, at least here in California, I thought that it was a pain in the *** to get the 250's registered, at least for the Aprilia.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, that nsr250R could argueably be a worse bike to start on than a 600cc 4 stroke sportbike. The 2strokes require oil in every tank of gas for engine lube and good oil to boot. Also they're supposed to be rebuilt every so often. I don't think 4 strokes are really "scheduled" to be rebuilt anytime during their normal operational lives. Sure I do but just for ***** and giggles. If you were suggested to get a 250cc bike to start and learn on whoever told you that meant a 4 stroke 250cc bike like a kawasaki ninja 250r/ ex250. 2 strokes make significantly more power than a 4 stroke of the same displacement. On the up side it is much lighter and easier to handle than a bigger 600cc bike but I wouldn't recommend it. 17kmiles is a lot, should be on a 2nd rebuild at least. you could look into an f2 or f3 instead of an f4i or either the 500r or 250r. Good luck finding a clean cbr400 for a reasonable amount of money though. also look into the sv's. They are very good learning bike due to the confidence you get from the feedback it gives. Plus they're cheap.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight? (tonydatyga)

dude, that nsr250R could argueably be a worse bike to start on than a 600cc 4 stroke sportbike. The 2strokes require oil in every tank of gas for engine lube and good oil to boot. Also they're supposed to be rebuilt every so often. I don't think 4 strokes are really "scheduled" to be rebuilt anytime during their normal operational lives. Sure I do but just for ***** and giggles. If you were suggested to get a 250cc bike to start and learn on whoever told you that meant a 4 stroke 250cc bike like a kawasaki ninja 250r/ ex250. 2 strokes make significantly more power than a 4 stroke of the same displacement. On the up side it is much lighter and easier to handle than a bigger 600cc bike but I wouldn't recommend it. 17kmiles is a lot, should be on a 2nd rebuild at least. you could look into an f2 or f3 instead of an f4i or either the 500r or 250r. Good luck finding a clean cbr400 for a reasonable amount of money though. also look into the sv's. They are very good learning bike due to the confidence you get from the feedback it gives. Plus they're cheap.
Depends which NSR you are looking at. Each year they tuned them further and further. The lastones had a credit card ignition. Stay clear of that one, unless you are best friends with HRC and can afford the race loom to unrestrict it.
You are much better to go for a TZR250, if you can get them? Or the little Priller. But as the man says you will strugle to learn the ropes with them as they a very peaky. The have pronounced powerbands and sod all torque, which means playing tunes all over the gearbox.
Look out for the SV650, or GPZ400, CBR400 they wil be much easier on you.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:27 PM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight? (tonydatyga)

Well, the NS250R has a seperate oil resevoir, so constant tank filling won't be necessary. And I'm pretty good at working on 2 stroke engines, so maintanence shouldn't be too difficult. I ultimitely want a bike that has a bit more power and torque than a Ninja 250 since I'll probably keep this bike a while (I hope). The biggest limiting factor is my size. I can almost definitely rule out F2s and F3s. I might be able to fit on a Hurricane or Ninja 500...might. I say that because a 5'4" aqaintance of mine can just get toes on those bikes. So I might be limited to 250 status, not because I'm a beginner and need a smaller engine, but because I'm small I'll be taking a look at the NS250R on Sunday, so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Other than this and a Ninja 250/500, the only other bike I was considering was the Honda VTR250. Also, assuming this bike is in 8-9 out of 10 condition (the pics I saw look more like 9 out of 10), what kind of price range should I be looking at, just so I don't get screwed.

Oh, and just to clear things up, this is a NS250R, not a NSR250. It has normal key ignition and is already tagged and titled in MD (where I am).

Thanks for the input.

[Modified by DSF, 7:31 PM 9/5/2002]
Old 09-05-2002, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MD, really? I'd love to come by and take a look. You are aware of the lowering applications of motorcycles for a more suitable seat height right? Just thought I'd mention that in case you didn't. If you wanted, you could ride my 250 and see how much you think it lacks in power. The suspension design is dated but those skinny tires like to turn over and lean. You'd be suprised at the mid corner speeds compared to the more venerable 600s. Course the exit speeds begin to be taken over by the power of displacement. As for price range, I just know they're rare but not too expensive as they aren't appealing to the majority of bike buyers. Very appealing to racers and yourself but that's a minority among all the friggin blue r6s. Course anything rare has the potential to be priced like an antique.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:29 PM

havent been on for a long time but back (in BC now)

17k ? hey, thats not that bad
If im not mistaken, the NS250R is not htat different from a NSR250R (MC18, is hwat i have)
And the cylinders are (if not too different from the NSR250) coated with... i dunno what, but its coated with something, so if you want to bore it, its not easy.

i would go for it! NS250 would be fun, and not alot of people have the chance to ever ride that stuff in the states (i think).

just dont use cheap 2-stroke oil or else youll end up burning the cylinder.
(btw, if you do end up destroying the cylinders, id just go get a NSR250R (or a SP or a SE) engine and drop that in.
Old 09-09-2002, 06:45 PM

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/specs...s250rmain.html

Looks like fun, though parts availability over here could be difficult as the bike wasn't ever sold on this side of the pond from what I can tell.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:57 AM

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight? (meept)

check out
http://www.tygaperformance.com

they have a **** load of parts for nsr250 and aprilia rs250
i was thinking of ordering a set of cowling too, but thats after i really get used to the bike (on track)
Old 09-10-2002, 12:40 PM

First off all, don't get a F4i/GSXR/R6 because that's just stupid as your first bike.

The NSR is basically a GP race bike. 2 stroke, and has a lot of power for a 250cc. I don't think it's the most comfortable, but should be pretty easy to toss around. This isn't the greatest bike to start on.

[Modified by integrate, 9:41 PM 9/10/2002]
Old 09-10-2002, 12:57 PM

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight? (integrate)

yup, its pretty bad for my back. the ns250 is probably worse than the nsr250. it seems like my friends nsr250 (wich is a later model than mine, mc21) is better for my back. but, i do have a bar handle set so i can change it from separate handles to bar handles if i want to.

the ns250, i think is somewhere around 40hp, while the nsr250 (mc18 and 21) is 45. the last model, mc28 is actually 40hp.

btw, the RGV250, which is the suzuki racer replica is 75hp (or somwhere in that range), same with the aprilia RS250
Old 09-13-2002, 05:03 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight? (Raz1983)

Well, I ended up buying it. I'm not sure if it's the "best" decision as a starter bike, but it's mine now No pics yet, but it looks exactly like this one...

All it has done to it is K&N filter pods and boy are they loud. As for riding position, it's not too bad so far. As short as I am, I can rest my chest flat on the gas tank. And as for power, I was surprised to say the least. Granted, I'm still getting acustomed to this bike, but while I was getting a feel for it on the road, as I shifted into second the front end lifted off the ground. Surprised me to say the least 290lb bike + 145lb rider = decently fast. Thanks for the links guys I've had a hard time finding any info on this bike. The previous owner was telling me that you can also swap in one of Honda's 350 engines. Hmmm, hybrid bike to add to my collection Nah, I think I'm plenty satisfied with what I have...for now. Now if I can just think in kph...stupid jap speedo
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM
Trial User

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight?

I have an 85 rothmans ns250r, great bike,I'm restoring it now as we speak.any you need to know just ask,I know these bikes in and out.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:26 AM
Trial User

Default Re: NS250R - anyone have experience/insight?

Originally Posted by Mark Nielsen
I have an 85 rothmans ns250r, great bike,I'm restoring it now as we speak.any you need to know just ask,I know these bikes in and out.
Hi Mark, found this old thread to seek help from your knowledge on the NS250R. I had to take a call on buying one, which has the Rothmans Decals.
I would like to know the key differences between the NS250R vs NSR250. Wonder if I made a bad decision on buying it, which has 4k kilometers and it’s on its way to me.

Thanks
Sam