Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

New Bike Rider, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bike Rider, need advice

Hey guys,
So im new to the forum and ive been reading up on it but its actually my first time posting because I really need advice. I really want to buy a motorcycle bike and will probably do so next month. Im thinking about the 2011 Honda CBR 250 cc. I am constantly being told how dangerous bikes are and how I shouldnt get one. And even though I know that this is true, I also know that there are ways to minimize this danger.

This leads me to my question. Is it a good idea to just ride my bike in rural areas, back roads, and places where theres is simply not that much traffic?

I live in the Boise area and freeways and main roads get really congested, especially in the afternoon.

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Bike Rider, need advice

Always best to learn and get comfortable with little to no traffic around you, that way you can focus solely on your riding and not getting taken out by a car haha. Good luck, be safe/smart and have fun
Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Trial User

Thanks mshake

As a rider yourself, do you even have fun when theres a lot of traffic or is it more fun when you have the roads to yourself so to speak?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Freeway traffic I don't like because of rate of speed and the amount of idiots haha. In town traffic is more fun then a car because lane splitting. But nothing beats an empty smooth twisty road though Just remember look where you want to go and that's where you'll end up, stare at the guard rail, sign, tree, etc. your more then likely get hit it
Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A 250cc bike is good to start out at. My first bike, and current one, is a 250cc 1989 yamaha virago. Very dependable bike.

Rural areas are excellent to start out in! Of course, practicing in a large parking lot at first has it's merits... a less traveled road is just as good.

Also, know that at some point in time you will lay the bike down while riding it. I wouldn't buy a "new" or mint bike until I feel 100% comfortable and able to ride one well. Current bike is a beater that is mechanically sound, and I am not afraid to lay it down if the situation presents itself where I have to. (Edit: Have only about 2 years of riding under my belt)
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Trial User

Thats what scares me justapirate. I was thinking of getting the 250 cbr but I only want to use it in rural areas and maybe around town when there is minimal traffic. I freak out just thinking of what would happen if I drop it in a congested traffic area. But I guess those are the risks that one takes when riding. Just the fact that I can end up being a vegetable or die is what has me thinking about it.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I recommend is to buy a USED 250 first. They can be had for around 2k and usually will sell for the same price if it's clean to begin with. This way, if u choose to upgrade to a bigger bike later, you won't be down on money from the first bike. If you dont plan to do alot of track riding, you can always get a sport 600cc bike(cbr f4i, sv650, fz6) more comfortable than a super sport like a 600rr, zx6-r, gsxr.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jorgon1022
Hey guys,
So im new to the forum and ive been reading up on it but its actually my first time posting because I really need advice. I really want to buy a motorcycle bike and will probably do so next month. Im thinking about the 2011 Honda CBR 250 cc. I am constantly being told how dangerous bikes are and how I shouldnt get one. And even though I know that this is true, I also know that there are ways to minimize this danger.

This leads me to my question. Is it a good idea to just ride my bike in rural areas, back roads, and places where theres is simply not that much traffic?

I live in the Boise area and freeways and main roads get really congested, especially in the afternoon.

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Well your off to a good start buy choosing a 250cc as a first bike, cheaper insurance, better mpg, easier to ride, cheaper to maintain.

You should take a MSF course, you'll become a better and safer rider.

Make yourself more visable and increase your night time visibility by installing HIDS, ride with your highbeams on during the day. I installed a exhaust to make my bike louder, really helps when splitting lanes and riding in higher rpms because if the car doesn't see you they might hear you. I also have a tidy light fender eliminator which produces a bright light at night on the rear.

if you want to go a bit further with safety wear bright neon color shirt/jacket/vest. Always wear proper gear, ride with atleast a motorcycle jacket, jeans, boots and gloves

Some tips I use everyday...

Stay out of cars blind spots, try to keep distance from cars, don't take it for granted that cars see you, ride as if your invisible to other vechicals, scan in front, to the side and rear mirrors frequently, flash highbeams going through conjested intersections, when stopping on off ramps or stop lights/signs check rear mirrors to make sure the car behind you is slowing down going to stop, i flash my brake lights to make myself more visable. when switching lanes don't just look at your mirrors, turn your head around and check if its clear. Always scan for debris, loose gravel or liquid on the road.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
Some good info, but let me add the following (I have been riding for nearly 40 years, so.....)

NEVER lay a bike down, do not think of this as an option. That is called a crash, period. Sliding along the pavement makes you an unlikely speed bump for some vehicle. Yes I know, there are times when that seems to be the last resort, but if you take any riding course (MSF is highly recommended), they'll tell you the same.

You ARE invisible to traffic. Cross traffic, on coming traffic and cars in your lane will not see you. You can dress in a clown outfit, and they still will not "see" you. Before the DLRs on cars, at least the m/c headlight caught the drivers' attention, but not anymore....too many daylight running lights now days.

Dress for the crash, sorry it is probably going to happen, better on your terms. Leather jacket (no windbreakers, hoodies, etc) or similar, DOT and/or SNELL 2012 helmet (full face preferred), full gloves, shoes that cover the ankles and demin pants or better.

Rural roads are best, take back roads to and from your destinations at first, freeways when traffic is light just so you get used to the speed differences. Then the dreaded downtown

Loud exhaust, no. There is no way this works. How can an exhaust, leaving the rear of a moving vehicle can travel ahead of the m/c and penetrate the cabin of a car (with the stereo blasting, or whatever) in time to let them know you're coming? Keep the peace, keep the exhaust quiet (you're just going to **** off the neighbors).

Used/New? meh, don't really matter, yeah you may drop your bike, but with a 250, you are making the right choice, IMO.

Good gawd, I need to get off my soapbox now! Ride safe! Ride alert!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:51 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

soon-to-be new riders
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Start slow and get the hang of it. A bike is a heavy monster that when fallen will cause lots of bruises, broken bones, and possibly death.
I used to own a '12 250R, well it was a great bike, laid it down at 1 mph on the grass being a beginner myself. Could never get it past 80. Was actually pretty darn slow, and passing cars was an effort. Riding it around the countryside was a blast since the sitting position was not as aggressive as a 600RR.

I traded this bike after 3 months for a '12 600RR which was when I rode it ridiculously fast and far more suited for my speed hunger. Passing cars is like taking candy from babies.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by swordofdoom
Start slow and get the hang of it. A bike is a heavy monster that when fallen will cause lots of bruises, broken bones, and possibly death.
I used to own a '12 250R, well it was a great bike, laid it down at 1 mph on the grass being a beginner myself. Could never get it past 80. Was actually pretty darn slow, and passing cars was an effort. Riding it around the countryside was a blast since the sitting position was not as aggressive as a 600RR.

I traded this bike after 3 months for a '12 600RR which was when I rode it ridiculously fast and far more suited for my speed hunger. Passing cars is like taking candy from babies.
Haha yup. I rode my buddy's older Kawi 250, that thing took forever to rev up n get goin. Night and day diff compared to a 600cc.

A lot of good info in here from turning your head instead of just mirror checkin, and bein' aware of your surroundings. Only thing i will add is to ride within your comfort level. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Everything else will come along almost naturally.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is lots of good advice here but the biggest piece of advice ever given to me regardless of your experience or the size bike you ride or a are considering is "keep your head on a swivel" and "if youre scared of the bike you shouldn't be on it in the first place". If you cant get past your own worries or anxieties then don't get on the road period, no one wants to get hurt but inevitably we all do have our accidents at some point, it crosses my mind every time I get on the bike and while more people around you in cars increases that risk you can just as easily go down on a patch of wet leaves or gravel in the middle of a open back road as you can in rush hour traffic and lane splitting. Just be careful, DO NOT BE SCARED, and have fun! If you have absolutely never ridden anything before in your life I would say don't even consider a street bike until you at least buy or borrow a dirt bike and ride for a couple months just to get used to riding and then once you think you understand the dynamics of front brake importance and leaning and shifting etc. you can move on to a street bike. If you have ridden before I say get a 600cc to start, a lot of people will recommend you start on a 250cc and I am one of those people that think its just unnecessary and a waste of time and money. My logic being that the jumps between bikes are so miniscule at some places and yet so vast in others that youre never really going to be able to make a gradual transition without spending more time and money than is necessary. I.E. the jump from 250 to 600R is a pretty big jump, its night and day on handling and power, same with the jump from 600R to 1000R, however the jump from 250 to 500 to 600 to 750 to 1000 is more gradual but lengthy and not needed. Most will argue me here but I just happen to feel like if a 600 is your end goal after a 250 and you never want to go bigger then just start with a 600 and add power adders to adapt the bike to your skill level, conversely though if a 1000 is something you want to ride one day I still recommend starting on a 600. Again a lot of people really over think this and want to be overly cautious and trust me they are rightfully so, bikes are VERY DANGEROUS, but if you really want to ride then nothing should stand in your way, just be safe, be aware and always wear a helmet.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Passing cars is like taking candy from babies.
you think its easy on a 600RR? I never even downshift from 6th on the highway on both my 954 and 750
Old 05-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brisketsammich
you think its easy on a 600RR? I never even downshift from 6th on the highway on both my 954 and 750
I like to Gun it and rev to redline. Its the rush with the screaming motor giving out a drug like satisfaction.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like to Gun it and rev to redline. Its the rush with the screaming motor giving out a drug like satisfaction.
yeah well Im fat and lazy