Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Fried Alternator Wires on cbr600f2

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried Alternator Wires on cbr600f2

So I trickle charged my battery while it was still in the bike today as I have in the past without issue. I removed the charger, started her up and soon smelled something burning. The source of the smell was the 3 pin alternator plug that connects the 3 yellow alt wires to the rectifier wires. The plug itself had melted and the wires started fusing together. What did I do to my bike? Anyone have thoughts? Thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Fried Alternator Wires on cbr600f2

Hey man, ugh I have the same bike and god did this **** give me a headache. Its a simple fix. 3 things keep your bike running, the stator motor (alternator for bikes) the battery for the power, and the rectifier moderates the volts flowing the the rest of the bike, or controls it rather. I had to replace both my stator, and my rectifier on my bike, and then finally it now stays charged. If what you said is true and the rectifier is fried (as you said it was melted and the wirest were fusing) then you need a new rectifier. If the white harness that plugs into the rectifier also is fried then you need a new rectifier harness as well. And if for some reason your bike continues to die after you know you have a good battery and a good rectifier, then sadly you need to replace the stator as well. But only replace that as a last option (if you know that no other wires are grounding out and possible draining the battery.)

I went on Ebay and found both the rectifier and the harness for like 29 bucks, which is about 60 dollars less than normal. I looked a gain a few months ago for a friend and they were stilling selling them for 29 bucks. I'm still using that rectifier half a year later so its well worth it. Hope

Hope this helped man, because this issue caused me a headache for over a month -.-
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fried Alternator Wires on cbr600f2

Originally Posted by trillyphily
Hey man, ugh I have the same bike and god did this **** give me a headache. Its a simple fix. 3 things keep your bike running, the stator motor (alternator for bikes) the battery for the power, and the rectifier moderates the volts flowing the the rest of the bike, or controls it rather. I had to replace both my stator, and my rectifier on my bike, and then finally it now stays charged. If what you said is true and the rectifier is fried (as you said it was melted and the wirest were fusing) then you need a new rectifier. If the white harness that plugs into the rectifier also is fried then you need a new rectifier harness as well. And if for some reason your bike continues to die after you know you have a good battery and a good rectifier, then sadly you need to replace the stator as well. But only replace that as a last option (if you know that no other wires are grounding out and possible draining the battery.)

I went on Ebay and found both the rectifier and the harness for like 29 bucks, which is about 60 dollars less than normal. I looked a gain a few months ago for a friend and they were stilling selling them for 29 bucks. I'm still using that rectifier half a year later so its well worth it. Hope

Hope this helped man, because this issue caused me a headache for over a month -.-
Thanks for the advice, I bypassed the plastic connector by splicing the wires together, replaced the rectifier with a $25 ebay unit and it works great