Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

"FI" Light Flashes Twice - replaced MAP sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "FI" Light Flashes Twice - replaced MAP sensor

Purchased 2001 CBR 600 F4i 1 month ago. Rode beautifully the whole time.

The other day I go out to start it up and the "Fi" flashes twice, pauses and continues flashing twice. I turn off the bike, go back inside to find out what that means. According to what I can find it generally means the MAP sensor is going bad or something upstream from it is. (i.e. the FPR)

EX: Part A is broken and the ecu compensates for it with a known good value. Without an actual sensor on Part A, then the ecu will throw a code for the next system/part in line to Part A, which in this case turns out to be the MAP sensor.

I've replaced the MAP sensor with a known good MAP sensor. Reset the ECU, did NOT ride it. And yet the Fi Light still flashed twice after every start up after replacement.

Today I rode it to the mechanic shop and by the time I got there the light went out. He just called me up and said he cannot get the bike to replicate the problem and the Fi is NOT coming on. He rode it around, let it sit and then cold start... everything. The idle isn't surging like it was when the Fi Light was flashing.

TL;DR: do you have to ride the bike around even after the ECU reset to kind of get the sensor/bike back into regular mode or what?