Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Decision About My Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decision About My Bike

Sorry for the long post

Well my bike has been fouling out its plugs now for about 4 months. I would get them changed and the bike would run fine for a while and then start to run like crap and just feel like it was bogging down. I went to get the plugs changed last week and the bike ran well for a couple of days but the symptoms came back and the bike had to go back to the shop today.

The shop called me and said that the no.3 plug was fouled and has some oil on it along with some oil in the airbox, they said they replaced the plugs and cleaned out the airbox and also said that the bike is probably just getting old. The bike is a 1993 GSX-R 600W with almost 37,000 miles on it and is completely stock with no mods at all. I’ve had the bike for almost 3 years and when I got it only had 8,500 miles on it.

I’m guessing that maybe the rings are going bad on the bike (I have the same problem with a car I’m working on, oil on the plugs) but I don’t know very much about bikes.

I was wondering what I should do, obviously the bike might be needing some serious mechanical work soon but I just bought a house and don’t know if I could afford it. The main problem with that is I’ve never had a regular driver’s license and have always had a bike as my main transportation since I was 16 and wouldn’t make enough from the sale on the bike to get another one. I am currently learning to drive a car and working on getting a license and buying a car because I kind of thought this would happen some day so I thought I would be prepared.

So should I sell the bike and take a loss and not have a bike for a while, just keep the bike and let it sit and save the money (might take a very long time) to fix it or use the money I make on the bike to get another older.

Here is a picture of the bike and how much do you think I could get for it?

Cliffs: bike is messing up, always had a bike and not a car, should sell bike and not have one, sell bike and use money to get another bike or keep and fix
Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I miss Andrea.

Default Re: Decision About My Bike (alupso)

Having a car is always going to be more practical. If you want the start saving money go back to having a car. Wait till you are more financially stable to jump in the bike market again.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Decision About My Bike (Newk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Having a car is always going to be more practical. If you want the start saving money go back to having a car. Wait till you are more financially stable to jump in the bike market again. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But I've never had a car. I'm currently learning to drive and get good enough to go take the test so I'll have a license.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:54 PM
.RJ

Default Re: Decision About My Bike (Newk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Having a car is always going to be more practical</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you say this? My bike gets 45mpg commuting back and forth to work, it is easier to handle in traffic than a car, insurance is $12/month compared to $100+/month and maintenance costs are very low as long as you stay on top of it. I've put over 4,000 trouble free miles on my bike since march. From a $$ standpoint, there is not much more practical than a bike for commuting.

To the OP - The problem may be oil leaking down the valve cover gasket onto the plugs, or the carbs need to be removed and cleaned/rebuilt. Carb service will probably be $250 + parts. If the shop says its just "getting old" then find another shop that will appreciate your business
Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Decision About My Bike (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why do you say this? My bike gets 45mpg commuting back and forth to work, it is easier to handle in traffic than a car, insurance is $12/month compared to $100+/month and maintenance costs are very low as long as you stay on top of it. I've put over 4,000 trouble free miles on my bike since march. From a $$ standpoint, there is not much more practical than a bike for commuting.

To the OP - The problem may be oil leaking down the valve cover gasket onto the plugs, or the carbs need to be removed and cleaned/rebuilt. Carb service will probably be $250 + parts. If the shop says its just "getting old" then find another shop that will appreciate your business </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah my bike insurance is only $230/year and I got a quote for car insurance and it was $488/year. The parts for a bike are generally more expensive but as long as you keep up with the maintanence then you shouldn't really have to fix it very often. I still need a car because it sucks grocery shopping and I can only buy what will fit in my bag and also driving in the winter.

The shop said "it's just getting old" because they haven't really dug deep into the problem because I didnt think there was a major problem until now. I really dont evern know if there is a serious problem with the bike but I just thought I would ask in case there was so I would be prepared.

I'm going to pick the bike up tomorrow and I'll have a long talk with the owner and gets his opinion on what he thinks might be the problem and maybe get an estimate. If it's a $250-350 fix then that's a good price I can afford.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 PM
.RJ

Now that the weather is warm I hardly ever drive my truck, its much nicer overall Sitting in traffic when its 90 deg in leather sucks, but for the most part I dont see going back to a car as daily transport.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Decision About My Bike (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Now that the weather is warm I hardly ever drive my truck, its much nicer overall Sitting in traffic when its 90 deg in leather sucks, but for the most part I dont see going back to a car as daily transport.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah what really sucks is that I moved about 4 weeks ago and now my works is only 2 miles away and before it was about 13 miles.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alupso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But I've never had a car. I'm currently learning to drive and get good enough to go take the test so I'll have a license. </TD></TR></TABLE>
why are there cars in your sig???
2miles away, ride a bicycle to work
Old 06-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Decision About My Bike (Hond@)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hond@ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are there cars in your sig???
2miles away, ride a bicycle to work </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Decision About My Bike (Hond@)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hond@ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why are there cars in your sig???
2miles away, ride a bicycle to work </TD></TR></TABLE>

The two cars listed in my sig are cars that I bought and paid for but they weren't ever registered in my name and I have never driven either of them.

One car I bought because I am going to be using as alternate transportation when I get my license and the other I bought, fixed and gave to my girlfriend. I like working on cars as a hobby and it might be a little weird that I have bought two cars and never driven them but I do it just for fun.

Walking/riding a bike to work in the South Carolina heat would be out of the question, I know it's only 2 miles but it get's damn hot here. Yesterday it was 98 degrees with 100% humidity and plus I'm working 2nd shift right now so I don't get off work untill 12:00am and don't like being on the street with all the crazy people getting run over.

On kid of a side note, if I were to sell my bike now how much do you think I could get for it? I know it's a little old but it's still in pretty good shape.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I want that GSX-R
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 AM

Just my .02, but I'd say IN THE SHAPE it's in now ... maybe $1,200
Old 06-13-2006, 08:50 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Decision About My Bike (thesilverbullet)

I would concur with RJ... it is more than likely a Minor fix, specially of she's running good with new plugs
Old 06-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as you're just commuting yourself and not carrying anything a backpack and a bicycle or a motorcycle would be a little more practical. For lugging stuff around i'd just fix up that car you have and drive it.

Sounds like you just need some maintenance on the motorcycle and you'll be good to go

you might have to suck-it-up and ride a bicycle instead and that will save you major coin and provide you with low-cost reliable commuting, especially if your commute is only 2 miles! i would
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 AM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: (Sijray21)

Yeah I would to, specially these days. I commuted on a bicycle for more than 5 years at one point in the 80's-90's... but then again I was riding 500-700 miles a week and training for road racing to
Old 06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: (MSchu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I would to, specially these days. I commuted on a bicycle for more than 5 years at one point in the 80's-90's... but then again I was riding 500-700 miles a week and training for road racing to </TD></TR></TABLE>

My brother used to roadrace back in the 80's. He was a US consultant for the '84 Korean Olympic team and carried the torch on the stretch from LA to San Diego. Wow.. ur old Maybe you know him.. Greg Kim. He's 38.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ugh. I'd hate to have my bike as the only mode of transportation. It's not only the weather, but some days, I like to sit back, listen to music and cruise, not having to worry about some old lady with pink hair, talking on her cell phone make a left in front of me. Plus, how do you go grocery shopping? Projects for the house? You can't go to Home Depot on a bike.

In most cases, having a car is going to be more practical than a bike.

BTW, you're 29 and you can't drive a car? I'm not making fun of you, but just seems weird. Have fun in driver's ed.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 AM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: (ScareyH22A)

Can't say I do by name... but after the 84 fiasco, I was shooting for 88 Oly
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (P Nut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P Nut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ugh. I'd hate to have my bike as the only mode of transportation. It's not only the weather, but some days, I like to sit back, listen to music and cruise, not having to worry about some old lady with pink hair, talking on her cell phone make a left in front of me. Plus, how do you go grocery shopping? Projects for the house? You can't go to Home Depot on a bike.

In most cases, having a car is going to be more practical than a bike.

BTW, you're 29 and you can't drive a car? I'm not making fun of you, but just seems weird. Have fun in driver's ed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well pretty much when I want to go grocery shopping I have to only buy what will fit in my backpack which is can get pretty bad sometimes. Today I needed a few things including primer for painting the walls in my house and with all the groceries and painting supplies my bag weighed in at about 25lbs. I live with my girlfriend so if she's there then we just go together and she drive's but she works 9-6 and I work 4-12am so it doesn't always work out.

I know it sounds weird to be 29 and not have ever had a drivers license but when I was 16 I got a scooter (not a moped) and really liked it and just never got a car or a license, never had a need to. But now I'm getting older and it just plain sucks to have to ride a bike in the rain and winter all the time and just thought it would be a good time to try getting a car. I actual did take drivers ed when I was 16 and it wasn't that bad.

The bike is fixed now and seems to be runnning really good with no problems, would you think I could still only get $1200 for it? If that was the case I would probably just keep it since i've had it for so long and it's never let me down. My parents have a 1989 Civic 4dr auto they said they would sell me for $600 so I think I'm just going to buy that and use it to practice my driving in and to get my license and finally become a cager .
Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MSchu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MSchu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I would to, specially these days. I commuted on a bicycle for more than 5 years at one point in the 80's-90's... but then again I was riding 500-700 miles a week and training for road racing to </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was riding a big wheel in the 80s
Old 06-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mike C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i was riding a big wheel in the 80s </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was rockin a stroller.