Cooling system pressure test - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Cooling system pressure test

Old 03-18-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default Cooling system pressure test

So I purchased a non-running 99 R6 as a project. Bike has poor compression 60 or so and poor leakdown results 40-75% leakage in all cylinders. I checked the valve lash and some of them are out, but not by a ton. I was reading that these years have issues with the blocks cracking, so before I went any further I did a cooling system pressure test and checked the oil.

Cooling system test: pressure drops about 1 psi within 5 minutes and then holds at 14 for several hours or more. No visable leaks. Will crank engine to see if I can find an issue. But is any pressure drop at all and indication of an issue or is this acceptable?
Engine oil: was fairing thin and free flowing, especially for it being like 30 degrees in the garage. It smelled strongly of fuel. Picture below. To be fair the bike has supposedly sat for like 2 years, so there could be some moisture in the oil as well.

lude98SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cooling system pressure test

So just an update. I did a crank test while pressurizing the system and it did not drop at all. Not coolant came out of the cylinders or anywhere else.

The oil was very thin and filled with fuel, not thick at all.
lude98SH is offline   Reply With Quote