Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

CBRF3 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBRF3 question

Hi guys. First post here...wondering if someone can shed some light on an issue that could be a big deal. I put about 12k miles on the bike in a couple of years, by not having a car, and then ended up not riding for 3 years. I forgot to put the stabilizer apparently since the can was found right under the cover. When I realized this I took the tank out and dumped it but the carbs jammed anyway and I had to put Seafoam in anyway. I needed the bike to start, so it can be illegible for a move out of state, and I dumped 5 times the recommended amount of Seafoam as a last ditch effort. It worked, but now I get a knock that gets faster (and less noticeable) with an increase in RPM. I don't hear it while the bike is cold but usually only after I've been ridding for a while and the engine is warm and then it's only noticeable while idling. This F3 is my baby and although I had to dump the Seafoam in there I have to say that I should have just paid someone to clean the carbs instead of bruteforcing the engine to start but what's done is done. I took it to two mechanics and both have said the knock is not a big deal and that I should just ride it for a couple of hundred miles and see what happens. I'm afraid I'm killing my engine slowly and would like opinions on what to do next.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:30 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: CBRF3 question

Did you change the oil on the bike at all? Before/after the seafoam?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CBRF3 question

Yes I changed the oil at the dealership. The dealership was 40 miles away. I pulled into a gas station after about 30 miles on highway, first time riding the bike, and that's when I heard it. The mechanic who changed the oil said there is nothing wrong with the engine (he worked on it cold). I then took it to a farther mechanic who said it's a faint knock and I shouldn't worry about it.

I still have Seafoam in tank. May be I Should take out the fuel and start over.