Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.
View Poll Results: What would YOU do???
Buy the bike, and be STOKED!
0%
Buy the bike, your budget is reasonable.
0%
Buy the bike, but expect to pay a lot more than your budget.
0%
Pass this opportunity... there will be better ones.
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

CB350F - (Potentially) First Used Bike Purchase... Opinions/Advice/Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 CB350F - (Potentially) First Used Bike Purchase... Opinions/Advice/Help Needed

Please bear with me, as I am very new to Motorbike terms.. Please feel free to make any corrections.

I went to see a 1973 CB350F today, and was a little spooked by a couple of things. I'm relying on you guys/gals since most of my friends aren't riders, and the few who are can't travel with me to see it.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8164/si851996e.jpg

Most worrying is the fact that there appeared to be a section of the frame where a weld separated, but I'm not sure how things are "supposed" to look, particularly for a 38 year old bike. The questionable weld appears to hold a bracket for the trailing end of the Left Exhaust (Red Square), and the Exhaust midsection nearly makes contact with one of the Nuts/Bolts near the Footpeg (Yellow Square). There is much more clearance on the right side, but I'm not sure whether this is because of the Kick Start Lever location. The difference in the gap where these two pieces join is much bigger on the left than on the right. The bottom of the exhaust shows signs of damage near the rear Axle, and there's even a little hole on the outside of the Resonator/Muffler... this hole doesn't go all the way through the baffle. I'm thinking this bike was dropped, but I'm not sure how extensive the damage is...

Left Side Rear Lower Rail Weld:
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5839/si851999.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/9360/si852000.jpg

Right Side Rear Lower Rail Weld
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/2364/si852002.jpg

Left Side Footpeg Stud/Nut:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5299/si852001.jpg

Right Side Footpeg Stud/Nut:
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1782/si852003.jpg

The lower rear rails (Blue Rectangle) were seemingly symmetrical, but they both taper inwards (toward the centerline). The angle is very slight, and I'm just not 100% sure whether or not these rails are supposed to be straight or not. I have not seen enough pictures to know, and this was the first CB350 I've seen in person.

The left side mounting point for the Headlight has been bent. This would seem consistent with falling on the left side, pushing the left side of the exhaust up/outward, and bending the headlight to the right. However, the owner stated that some pieces have been re-chromed and such evidence wouldn't be seen... There is no evidence of damage to the Turn Signal, but there is a mark on the Handlebar Grip where it looks like the Handlebar Tube nearly cut a circle off of the end.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/1760/si851998.jpg

The Engine has not been run for nearly 15 years, and the owner admits to having not properly prepared it for long-term storage. I'm not looking to ride for a LONG while, and I was actually looking toward something to work on. I'm more concerned with how long it will take me to acquire any specialized equipment to do this work myself than how such work would actually get done.

Since it's been sitting for so long, the front Tire, which is new, has flat-spotted and signs of cracking are developing (Green Rectangle).

A big concern is the Brake System, as there is no fluid (among potential other things). As such, I have no confidence in myself to try to get this thing up a ramp and will likely have to employ the use of pros (that is, if y'all help me make the decision to buy). This also gives me concerns, as my parking spot is on a slight grade (from right to left with my car head-in). I have plenty of Honda DOT3 Brake Fluid (for my car), but I'm such the noob I don't even know if this is advisable... Auto Brake Fluid OK in Motorcycles? Please assist.

There was a lot of lateral play in the chain, displacing about an inch to either side without much tension or resistance at all. I'm sure that with a little more pressure it'd move out more. I know I wouldn't be running this thing for a while, but what concerns should I have with a worn Chain/Sprocket, other than simple replacement?

---------

OK, now for the main questions/issues...

I like the CB350F a lot. I've already passed on a 2-cyl, and I've been regretting that deal. However, I much prefer to regret not getting something I wanted than to regret getting something I do not want.. and paying a lot of money for it!

The bike is being offered for $1500, not including transport. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $5000-$6500 to get this bike in tip-top shape and myself ready to ride, and I may be able to squeeze some more out as time goes by. However, this budget also includes Safety Gear, a Bike Lift, and about $500 more for tools I don't already have...

- In your opinion, is this bike safe to ride? I'm mostly concerned with the weld issue.
- What can/should be done about the "broken weld" on the left side? Keep in mind that a full tear-down/overhaul/restoration will likely be done, whether fixing this particular issue requires it or not.

Thanks for the advice/opinions!
JasonGhostz

Last edited by JasonGhostz; 07-03-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CB350F - (Potentially) First Used Bike Purchase... Opinions/Advice/Help Needed

Lastly, I needed to ask..

Will anyone be willing to accompany/meet me sometime this week to look at the bike? I won't ask you to help load it unless you offer, and I will naturally release you from any liability for damage to property or person as a result... Please PM me if you can help, I'd really appreciate it.

I can pay for at least one meal (up to $20), and give you some $$ for your time.

Thanks in advance!! Have A Great Drive/Ride!
JasonGhostz
Old 07-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CB350F - (Potentially) First Used Bike Purchase... Opinions/Advice/Help Needed

well firstly, after 15 years of sitting i wouldnt count out having to replace anything, especially parts with rubber. tires will definetly need to be done, brake seals could easily be worn, along with many other seals. the tank may look great on the outside but it could be severely rusted on the inside, and may have to get replaced, or restored.

around where im from, that bike would probably be worth the asking price if it was in usable condition. i love those old, small cb's, and that would probably be great for a first bike, but youll probably outgrow it too fast for it to be worth restoring, unless thats what your looking for of course. but i wouldn't pay more than a few hundred for it.

for that price, you can probably get somthing from the late 80's, big enough to be practical on the highway, but still small enough to be easy to manage. and im sure you'll still be able to work on it. if your patient, you can wait around and look for a better deal.

and you say your budget could be as much as 6000 in total? you could even get a modern bike (like 10 years old) for around 4, ready to ride, and still have plenty of room for gear, tools, and a cupple insurance payments.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the tips, Blahblah718293!

Yeah, I've talked with more rider friends of mine, and even talked with my friend's dad who owned a CB350F and later a CB550F. One potential use of this is as a commuter bike, with freeway riding. He warned me that I'll likely find the 350 underpowered, and that I'll be yearning for more shortly afterward. He did a good job of discouraging me from this deal, and I think I"m going to pass on this one.

The main issue is the cracked weld. While it's not completely separated from the bike's frame, I'm the kind of person who will want that taken care of. Unfortunately, this means I'll either need to wait until I acquire welding equipment (not to mention learn how to use it safely and effectively), or pay $$$ for someone else to fix it.

I'm actually quite impressed that I was able to walk away. While I'm not buying a bike for looks, I really like the look of the 70's CBs, particularly the colors. I picked a '73 because... well... let's just say I could use just as much restoration as a bike from then.

My budget gives me a lot of flexibility, but the 350F is pretty much my pick. In talking with my friend's dad, it seems as though the weight vs power issue led to is unpopularity, which kind of feeds into the collectibility today. Being my first project AND bike, I'm more willing to limit freeway/road trip use of the bike than to buy a bigger model... I really want just a street cruiser or grocery gopher, with a canyon run every once in a while.

I've already found some other candidates that are cheaper, in better condition, and still satisfies my other requirements. I'll keep y'all posted!

Thanks again. Have A Great Drive/Ride!
JasonGhostz
Old 07-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck on the search - if you're looking for the older steeds, the 750k's seem to be in more abundance.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the "cracked weld", is it on the inside of the frame? In the two pictures you supplied, I'm not seeing an actual cracked weld. I just see corosion and it seperated where it was not welded.

If the weld was broken in the inside, it woudn't be that hard to fix. Take the rear tire off, unbolt the shocks, and let the arm hang. Clean up the area, and BZZZZT, it's welded. Paint it black to keep it from rusting.