Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

to all soon-to-be new riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 05:41 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (Arturbo)

so if SHE gets one, can YOU have one too?
Old 04-19-2002, 11:15 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (figment)

I know, I know... Trust me, I will get one.

art
Old 04-19-2002, 12:10 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

there are a lot of people interested in riding all the sudden. wont be long and we'll have honda-tech motorcycle meets must be spring time.

i am going to have to get the first turbo motorcycle of the group since the old GPZ750 turbo setup is a bolt-on for my kawasaki...
Old 04-19-2002, 06:55 PM
New User

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (falconGSR)

what makes you think you could EVER be first MUAAAAH! TURBO BIRD!

{JOKE}

[Modified by figment, 9:56 PM 4/19/2002]
Old 04-21-2002, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OT but the Blade wil return now that i am back here for a while, cant wait. Although it needs everything!
Maybe Nitrous will be coming my way again, especially after seeing that the 998's are up around £13000
Old 04-23-2002, 11:05 PM

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (50percentRice)

i was a new rider, now all i have is a twisted hunk of a 2001 cbr in my garage, and a funny bone floating somwhere under my knee cap. just thought i would share.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Trial User

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (Blkhatchbk)

i was a new rider, now all i have is a twisted hunk of a 2001 cbr in my garage, and a funny bone floating somwhere under my knee cap. just thought i would share.
I'm sorry to hear about your bike and your self, hope your OK....But this is exactly what us "veteran" motorcyclists are trying to tell you newbie beginners, We're just trying to help you not make the same mistakes we did.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:08 PM

I recently aquired a 1974 750 four.

Does anyone think that's too much bike for a beginer? I have zero experiance on a bike, I don't even have a motorcycle license yet. I like that cb250, but 4 grand for it.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:50 PM
New User

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (neumonik)

Well you're going to have a liitle more weight than you really should. Did you pay 4K for it?????? I hope not....
Old 04-24-2002, 06:45 PM

No... I was talking about the price on the link for the cb250. The 750 was given to me, it really needs some work.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:41 AM
New User

The bike is a standard which is good for learning. Not ideal (750), but you cant beat free. Make SURE that all the saftey features are working. Focus on brakes, tires, lights, grips etc above anything else. Are you going to restore it?

[Modified by figment, 9:41 AM 4/25/2002]
Old 04-25-2002, 08:28 AM

It's in near mint condition. It was my uncle's and he got it from his uncle (original owner). It really only needs new points, oil change a good tear down and cleaning and probably tires since it's been sitting for about 2 years.

It was never droped or anything. It's really ugly, but like you said... can't beat free!
Old 04-25-2002, 10:22 AM
New User

It's in near mint condition. [deletia] It's really ugly, but like you said... can't beat free!
Oooohhh, never say "Honda" "mint" and "ugly" in the same context!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It HAS to be beeeeautiful! Please keep it that way. I garrantee you will get looks with that bike.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:22 PM

sorry....

stupid me

I'll post some pics of it.... I'm going to play with it tonight.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:55 PM

i am ok. kind of pissed that i totalled my 3 month old bike. funny thing is, i wasnt doing anything stupid, or show offish. just kind screwed up. oh wellz. on to the project rebuild in the future now. still cheaper than buying a new one.
Old 04-26-2002, 05:26 PM

I am a new rider. My friend gave me a 1976 honda cb 350. I need to fix a lot of things before it will even run, but the cost for repairs is somewhere in the 200 to 300 dollar range. He is also giving me his old helmet, and I have the jacket and boots already as hand me downs. Motorcycles reign in our shop. But as with anything there is a curve to follow. The 350 is a small bike, capable of being hopped up to a certain degree to follow me as I become a more competent motorcyclist. In addition to joining the motorcycle crew I have off roaded in broncos for 3 years. Some say that isn't challenging, but it is, and there is a dangerous curve with it as well. You start easy, and as your experience and confidence grows you modify your vehicle to take on ever increasing challenges. I look at anything with this look. Start small, with something that can grow with you. That way you can learn on the same bike and then modify it so you can keep that same bike. Please remember though YOU YOURSELF were once a newbie to motorcycles without a clue, why was it back then that you started riding???
Old 04-26-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (vapors2k)

but good luck finding a hurricane in good shape.
New to motorcycling as my prevouis post showed, but do you guys not like to fix up old bikes??? That was half my thrill with trucks was buying some old hunk of junk that could be patched up and painted. Not nescissarily for profit but just for fun. Even the bike I was given needs work. Thats half the reason I am loving this. Its not just some grab the key (no key on it, just a toggle switch) and go showroom bike. Andyone here patch up the old girls or you guys all just have the showroom do the work???
Old 04-27-2002, 08:40 AM

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (suftroml)

the thing is, I'm not experienced to tinker with bikes, even though they are similar to cars. I can take apart a B series motor, but don't want to mess with a bike.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:29 PM
New User

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...threadid=68694
Old 04-30-2002, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a question
What is the ideal height to be able to ride a motorcycle
I'm pretty short, let's just say yoshi's height hehe
I know you could lower bikes but......
Old 04-30-2002, 07:38 PM
New User

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (Hybrid ctr)

32"inseam
Just a question
What is the ideal height to be able to ride a motorcycle
I'm pretty short, let's just say yoshi's height hehe
I know you could lower bikes but......

[Modified by figment, 10:39 PM 4/30/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 08:03 PM

[QUOTE]32"inseam[QUOTE]

I wear a 30" inseam and I'm taller than yoshi. just go sit on some bikes and hopefully both feet will touch the ground.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:14 PM
New User

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...threadid=70328
"just crashed.....
So im out for my sunday ride near seven springs resort in PA, im I take a left hander and the back end steps out on me just a bit, i think i hit some gravel or a slick spot because i wasnt goin too fast it just kinda washed on me. At that point i knew i wasnt makin the corner (was only half way into it) so i just started slowin down a bit and hit the shoulder and put it into a guard rail about 30-40 mph (approx)

I smacked my left knee on the ground and then that tossed me into the rail, my head smacked the post and i bounced out into the street, the bike is hosed. Left side of the bike: broke the little oil tank lookin thing (not sure what its called) oil poured all over the road, mirror, turn signals, footpeg, shifter all broken off. The front wheel is totally smashed in, forks bent, body work bent/ broken/ scratched.

Let this be a lesson to all of you who are MORONS who DONT WEAR LEATHER my bike is trashed and i got up unscathed. I was wearing a helmet, leather gloves, and joe rocket leather gloves/ pants both with built in elbow/knee/shoulder/hip pads.
The only injury i have is a sprained thumb.

I will say this: If it were not for all of my gear i would have a: broken skull b: annihilated legs/ arms
If you cant afford leathers then at least go get yourself some nice rollerblade pads or somethin that will offer "some" protection.
Ill try to get some pics up in the next few days.

Old 05-06-2002, 05:18 AM
Texas B*tch!

Yeah I read that the other day...
Old 05-08-2002, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: to all soon-to-be new riders (ForcedAccord)

This topic can be beaten to death. It really comes down to what is in your head, not what you are riding. If you are just starting, and have brain, you can do just fine on a fast bike. You are going to be way better off learning on a 2001 ZX-6R, than on a 1980 750cc standard with crap brakes. Lets face it, bikes are dangerous, you have no protection from the hazards that are out to get you.
If you feel that you are not capable of riding a fast bike without getting stupid, you should never own a bike, EVER, not a 250, not a Moped, nothing.
GSR Boost said it well, common sense is key, that simple phrase is no more important when you are riding a Busa, or a Ninja 250.
Be smart, and safe.
My first sportbike is my current TL1000R. I had been riding for 8 years on other bikes, mostly Harleys. I was no more prepared for that TLR with my previous experience than I would have been going in if I just finished a bike school. But.....
I knew what I was getting involved with, I was prepared mentally, I took it easy, worked my way up to being comfortable. I also took a race school, which helped me more than any road experience ever could. You learn what the limits of the bike really are, how far it will lean, how hard can you grab the brakes, etc.
I was really quite scared of the brakes on the bike, for the 4 months i had it before the school, I just always wondered how hard I can hit them and not lock up the front tire, the school provided me with the chance to safely find out.
Use your head, if you think you can handle a 600 for your first bike, you probably can.

Quick Reply: to all soon-to-be new riders