Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Apocalypse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocalypse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something else to read in case anyone hasn't seen it...

http://www.cmyoung.com/bikewreck.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-13-2003, 06:51 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Rob :190:)

this is some good info. i am thinking of getting a bike soon so i'm reading all i can about it before i go jump on one. but like was said before pratice is what it takes.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:02 AM
This user can set his title.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (Apocalypse)

I read it and it stated you need a helmet. I'm assumeing this website is not up to date because I saw a couple of commercials about this Helment law is PA being removed. Thanks for the info Apocalypse. Need to research some more cause I do not want my insurance to go up.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:26 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (B18cR-Ej1)

i know south Carolina has no helmet law.

but if they wreck i don't guess they care if their head gets splattered
Old 09-27-2003, 08:23 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (SprayinCX)

no usually it's the parents or friend that has to go identify there dumb ***.
What good are dental records?
AJ

say no to squids
Old 10-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (marmaladeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marmaladeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
V. You WILL drop the bike.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My brother has been riding for 6 years, Exclusively sport bikes and has never ever dropped a bike.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (James Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by James Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My brother has been riding for 6 years, Exclusively sport bikes and has never ever dropped a bike. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Congratulations to your brother! But, he might kick your (_|_) for jinxing him now...

I, too, have to yet drop my bike (knock on wood). And I've been riding for 4 years. My friend, however, has dropped his bike twice. Maybe it balances out!! But seriously, there's just a good chance of having a bike tip over, since it's inherently unbalanced at standstill (not counting the kick/center-stand). Having a rider on top just increases the chances of dropping it. Factor in inexperience, and it's a safe bet that most new riders will drop their bikes. Even experienced riders have brain farts.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike...

Insurance - You have basically two choices: liability or full coverage. No matter what you ask or we reply, you should ask your insurance agent for a quote. Just because I'm paying $xxx for insurance does not mean you'll get the same rate. It depends on what bike you ride, where you live, your age, and various other factors. If you're financing, you NEED to have full coverage! Just ask around on this board...a few members' bikes were stolen, but they still have to make payments.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (James Bond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by James Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My brother has been riding for 6 years, Exclusively sport bikes and has never ever dropped a bike. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I crashed and dropped my 2nd bike all in 1 day, didn't even come close to drop my first bike. I cut down my street ridings cuz I don't really want to drop it in front of a crowd LOL
Old 11-06-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (marmaladeboy)

very good write up
Old 11-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Trial User

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (CodeDawg)

im lookin at bikes... this helps, thanks alot!
Old 11-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (lrseclipse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lrseclipse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im lookin at bikes... this helps, thanks alot!</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CodeDawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very good write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-01-2003, 03:48 PM

Modified by 88 at 1:24 PM 7/25/2004
Old 12-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (88lsteg)

1. Take the MSF class right away.
2. Buy a helmet.
3. Buy some gear.

Motorcyclist has an article this month (Holiday Edition, I believe) that discusses techniques to use if you can't flat-foot both feet on the bike. Take a look at that.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (PFRMotoCRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PFRMotoCRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">say no to squids</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, couldn't have said it better myself. They should start some sort of anti-squid campaign, with bumper stickers .

There is alot of really great information on here, a definate resource for those just starting to ride. Another piece of advice.. Frame Sliders are your best friend, aside from your helmet.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (EKD16)

To all those contemplating on getting a bike license: the DMV test is SUPER DUPER hard if you're on a sportsbike, but they never specify what kind of a bike you can take the test on. I was actually waiting in the parking lot on my bike and an old *** man sat down on this Vespa next to me. He told me that he took the test on that Vespa and it was the easiest **** he's ever done. He said he could've done it drunk. Hahah. Any bike that's street registered can take that test for an M1 license. So look into that. Or just go easy and take the class like ME! Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:35 AM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (falconGSR)

Never owned a street bike just dirt bikes looking to get a bike for the road this was good info.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:30 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (lrseclipse)

Great post
(i was taught and rode the first time on a 97 gsx-r 750 lol not a good bike to learn imo)
Old 12-15-2003, 08:31 PM

Default Re: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike... (tshaw)

spread the word!
Old 12-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just recently got interested in getting a bike too. started as an r6, now more realistically i think imma pick up an olld ninja 250. i have two questions.

1. how much is that msf class cost?
2. how much does insurance cost, about for a ninja 250. full coverage compared to liability only

thanks
Old 01-08-2004, 02:40 PM

good stuff.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stripes777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stripes777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. how much is that msf class cost?
2. how much does insurance cost, about for a ninja 250. full coverage compared to liability only
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. If you're under 21, then it's about $70. 21 and over it's about $170.
2. Ask your insurance agent. Or get free quotes.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (marmaladeboy)

Great posts guys, makes me miss my bike soo bad....cars got nothing on bikes, I had a 99 ZX-7 for a year and a half and that was prolly the best times of my life to this date. MANY MANY close encounteres with death and MANY frustrated police officers (why do they even try) but yeh...those times are over for now...had to sell the bike to take care of other stuff, i'll get another one soon, i cant wait...
Old 01-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, i went out and bought a brand new 03 r6, first time riding a bike or anything like it, and i tought myself how to ride in 30 mins and then i was off on the streets, its not hard at all, and i havent layed it down yet or anything, so yea, good post
Old 01-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a great post! I plan on buying a bike later this year.. most likely a CBR600F3 or F2. It will be my 1st street bike. I used to ride dirtbikes when I was younger and my cousin had a Yamaha YSR50 and it was fun. I don't plan on riding it all the time, but I'm sure that will change as soon as I get it. Well, any advice will be appreciated from any of you.

Quick Reply: To all beginners/newbies asking about getting a new bike...