Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

93 CBR F2 Gas Leak! Is This Unusual Or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 93 CBR F2 Gas Leak! Is This Unusual Or Not???

It all started about a week ago. As some of you may know my Carburetor needed to be cleaned. I was riding it like that because the bike would run fine at normal speeds. I finally grew a pair and decided to give it full throttle in first and second gear. Well I did but as soon as I did I could smell gas. I took it home and noticed it was leaking gas from one of the overflow hoses.

If I remember correctly there are three hoses that run to the bottom of my bike.
1. Radiator fluid overflow.
2. There is a hose that runs from the petcock (if I remember correctly) to the bottom of the bike.
3. There is another hose that is connected directly from the bottom of the gas tank to the bottom of my bike (This is the one that is leaking).

Everyone on here told me that it was my float bowl that was stuck open so I figured a good cleaning would fix the problem. Well I just got my bike back today and It is still leaking. I figured if the float bowls were stuck open the #2 hose that I mentioned above would be leaking. Not the #3 that is just simply a hose that runs from the bottom of the tank. The questions I have are:

1. Why would this hose start to leak after smashing on my bike?

2. If its not the float bowls that are stuck open (Which they are not because they were cleaned) What else could cause this hose to leak? A bad gas tank maybe?

I hope someone on here knows which hose I'm talking about. Ill be sure to post pictures of the hose that is leaking tomorrow but for now, If anyone has any input please let me know. It's not leaking bad but it IS leaking.

I just found a picture of a gas tank...

The one I have circled is the one that is leaking.... Why is it leaking though? =(

Thanks again Honda-Tech.

Last edited by i_VTEC; 06-23-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
The Science Guy

Default Re: 93 CBR F2 Gas Leak! Is This Unusual Or Not???

i dont think its usual for any bike to be leaking gas. But based on what you said, I think just get another hose clamp and or a new tube, then you should be fine.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a breather tube connection... clean it, get a new length of tube if needed reassemble and ride on. You may always get a little gas leak from that point as the petrol moves around during spirited riding and it's nothing to be concerned with if its dripping... if it's pouring out, you may have some other related issue
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MSchu
That's a breather tube connection... clean it, get a new length of tube if needed reassemble and ride on. You may always get a little gas leak from that point as the petrol moves around during spirited riding and it's nothing to be concerned with if its dripping... if it's pouring out, you may have some other related issue
So is it my hose causing this? Or my gas tank? The only reason why I am some-what worried is because it kept leaking after I removed my gas tank in order to get the the Carburetor. It just drips on drop at a time! =/
Old 06-24-2009, 08:49 AM
My Name is Nobody

Drips are not really an issue... that's what a breather does, also acts as an overflow. you may have gotten some gas in the channels of the tube and its been dripping ever since. It doesn't continually drip until you have a large wet puddle on the ground does it? it really couldn't do that unless your tank was over full
Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a tiny hole on the top of my gas tank when I open up the cap. Does that hole lead to that hose that is leaking?

Last edited by MSchu; 06-24-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
My Name is Nobody

yes... that is your breather tube. you need to make sure that is clear and unobstructed or that the line is NOT pinched. that could lead to other running problems.

what it could be is that there is an area under that hole where the gas maybe pooling. but it will eventually just go away.

all bikes leak and drain to an extent... thats why there are overflow, battery, and petrol breather tubes.

FYI sorry about that edit above... I was typing in the wrong window
Old 06-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes... that is your breather tube. you need to make sure that is clear and unobstructed or that the line is NOT pinched.
Now the question is... How can I make sure it is "Clear" and not "Pinched"?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 PM
My Name is Nobody

Originally Posted by i_VTEC
Now the question is... How can I make sure it is "Clear" and not "Pinched"?
Blow compressed air through it, and do the same with your tube.
upon assembly, make sure the line hangs free and clear of pinching... if it is pinched you would know it after a few miles of riding as it could alter your idle and throttle response. more than likely if your careful when putting your tank back on you are golden
Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MSchu... Ill try it! Thanks again for being patient with me man. You seem to help the most on all of my posts!

Ill let you know what happens as soon as I try it!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: I did exactly what you said and it still drips! =( I blew compressed air through that hole on top of the gas tank. All it did was cause my bike not to start up for about 15 seconds. Then it fired right up but it still drips one drop at a time... I wake up every morning and there is a small puddle under my bike. =( Any ideas on WHY this happens or what caused it in my case?

Is there any way to bypass it? Just in case I can't fix it?

Last edited by i_VTEC; 06-24-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 AM
My Name is Nobody

Is the drip actually coming from the breather tube? in other words, if you left the tank(with gas) on the shelf, would there be a puddle under that hole? if so, you just might have a small tank hole... this can only be checked by pressurization of the tank. Tanks over time can and do oxidize on the interior... resulting in corrosion and ultimately a hole. If the puddle only occurs when the tank is ON THE BIKE... it may be coming from another source you have yet to see. It may even be drooling down that same tube(on the exterior) and look like it is coming from the breather.

There is really no bypass that I know of for tank venting. it need to be vented so the petrol will flow as the level goes down.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

even with the tank off it leaks. I made a small hole on the cap of a water bottle and put the hose through it and screwed it back on the bottle last night. It completely filled a regular size water bottle. =(
Old 06-25-2009, 08:30 AM
My Name is Nobody

Yeah... you got an issue. I say hole/seal in the tank somewhere near the breather that is allowing petrol to move into that channel
Old 06-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah... you got an issue. I say hole/seal in the tank somewhere near the breather that is allowing petrol to move into that channel
Is that fixable or do I have to get another tank? =/
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM
My Name is Nobody

It depends on how bad the seam or hole is? there is tank sealant... a chemical process of coating your tank... do an internet search and you will see if you are up to the task. I mean you could keep riding the bike and refilling the gas that leaks out... but that's a pain the ****
Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on how bad the seam or hole is? there is tank sealant... a chemical process of coating your tank... do an internet search and you will see if you are up to the task. I mean you could keep riding the bike and refilling the gas that leaks out... but that's a pain the ****
The fact that I have to fill it sooner is not what I'm worried about. I park my bike in the garage which is near our boiler.. Fumes + Flame for boiler = Boom. lol. I'm must bummed because I just got the carburetor cleaned and it runs like a dream but not I have THIS problem! Would it be possible to zip tie the hose upward instead of downward so it doesn't leak as bad? Or would that cause problems with my gas tank. I heard it can create a vacuum effect inside my tank....??

I heard about the gas tank sealer. Any brands you or anyone else prefer over the other? I think I'm just going to end up doing that...
There is a filter inside the gas tank... How do I remove it before sealing my tank?

Last edited by i_VTEC; 06-25-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
My Name is Nobody

tank needs to breath otherwise it creates a vacuum as the fuel goes out. pick a brand... they all seem to be fairly the same. I personally have never actually done it because my tanks don't leak. Perhaps some of these other mugs can chime in on brand.

be careful not to seal or cover any of the access holes... is there a fuel gauge on this bike or is it a petcock with reserve?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A petcock with a reserve.... Is this gonna be more difficult?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
My Name is Nobody

no... not at all
Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's not one problem with this bike its another... Well It's been overheating lately. Ever since my radiator hose burst, It's been over heating. I replaced the hose, Then used 50/50 with distilled water. It was fine until one hot day it got really hot so I pulled over and let it cool off. Well once I opened the cap there was a bunch of oily sludge on my cap and in my radiator... Ive flushed it about 2 times now and its going away but slowly. i think this "sludge" is causing a poor circulation of fluid in my radiator and block... And my reservoir tank keeps on filling up with radiator fluid.... If I turn it on for the first time, I can ride it for about 20 minutes before it starts to warm up. Then it just keeps rising unless I'm going 55mph plus... If I'm going any slower then that the temp gauge just keeps rising....I don't think its a blown head gasket because nothing leaks and I don't smell anything sweet on the exhaust fumes... It also doesn't smoke at all.... Anyone got any ideas? I'm almost ready to sell this bike. =/
Old 06-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its a blown headgasket, sorry. That has all the symptoms, but changing that is real easy, get a allen end 9mm socket, and pull off the head, replace the gasket, install the head with a torque wrench, im not sure you can do it with the engine inside the bike though.

If you need a manual: http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...service-manual it just missing a page somewhere, but nothing important.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Blindstuff
I think its a blown headgasket, sorry.

I'm really hoping its not, I think I'm just in denial though.... Besides the overheating problem, could a blown head gasket cause my bike to run a bit funky? Maybe because its losing some compression?

Is there a way to rule out the possibility of a blown head gasket.. Maybe a bad thermostat or water pump? Maybe even a bad radiator cap? lol I just don't want to believe its a head gasket... Wouldn't my bike leak though if it was a blown head gasket?

If its a gasket, I'm going to replace it. I'm just hoping it wont be until right after summer... Has anyone ever tried those gasket sealers? The ones you can buy that supposedly seal a blown gasket..
Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the chances it might be a bad water pump or thermostat?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 AM
slm

Sludge on the cap is bad news. If it was the thermo or the water pump you wouldn't have any sludge on the cap. Is there a milkshake like substance on the oil fill cap? You can try to wonder sauce, I would recomend the stuff with the meal flakes in it, but sooner or later you have to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: 93 CBR F2 Gas Leak! Is This Unusual Or Not???