Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R! Owners or soon to be chime in!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R! Owners or soon to be chime in!

Ok i did a search i couldn't find a topic. Anyway i owned an 07 Ninja 250 before but i sold it. I got the bug to get another one. This time the re-designed 09. Just wondering if anyone has one and how do you like it? Lets also see what kind of prices you got it for out-the-door! Anyone that works at a Kawasaki deal or sells kawasaki's please PM me or let me know! Thanx!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM
I tell doctors what to do

Default Re: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R! Owners or soon to be chime in!

I'm going to lunch right now. I'll get back to you on this.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM

i'm looking at a little over $4000 out the door right now in PA.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there much difference from the old model besides the 2 tone colour scheme?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by ITR_cam
is there much difference from the old model besides the 2 tone colour scheme?
do you mean btw the 08 and 09? if so, i believe only the kawi green paint scheme changed. i've been looking at black or red which are still one tone.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by withemptyeyes
i'm looking at a little over $4000 out the door right now in PA.
Is that with Tax, Licensing, Doc Fees, Freight, Prep, the whole nine yards?

do you mean btw the 08 and 09? if so, i believe only the kawi green paint scheme changed. i've been looking at black or red which are still one tone.
Ya I had an 07 Black one that I sold. My heart is set on black but I don't know all the colors looks good! Damn it!

I might pick one up this weekend if i get the right deal!
Old 03-25-2009, 02:20 PM

still haven't abandoned you. I've just been realy busy at work. I have homework when I get home too. I write a review when I'm done with that.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im getting mine tomorrow afternoon, red 09 250r. paid 4950cdn after taxes with a rear seat delete.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

None of you guys have to pay more than MSRP for a new Ninja 250. You're silly if you do. Silly.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Quiks66
None of you guys have to pay more than MSRP for a new Ninja 250. You're silly if you do. Silly.
Is that after taxes, licensing, doc fee, freight, and prep? All those charges?

Please elaborate a little more on why? Do you work at a dealer? I would like to know because it will help me on my purchase maybe this weekend!...thanx!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:55 PM

OK I payed $4200 for mine with taxes title etc. I kind of got hosed but I bought mine(08) last June(deposit in May) when basically the whole world wanted one and I had to wait a month and a half to get it.

You already had an 07 so you probably know a lot about the bike already because it's basically the same thing just restyled. You can assume all of the usual pros from me, handles well, looks nice, great mileage, very forgiving, etc. Everyone knows the pros of the ninja 250r.

There are only a couple things that bother me and they don't really bother me enough to not love the bike.

First problem I have is that I think the front forks could be stiffened up a little bit. When you have to brake hard you will feel the nose dip more than it really feels like it should. I have no basis for comparison because this is the first bike I've ever owned, but I think it could be stiffened a little bit. The rear suspension is adjustable though and I've never messed with it. Maybe increasing the dampening of the rear would help the front? I'm not sure I still don't know much about bikes. Love the rear brake though. It's very forgiving. I've been using it since day 1 and never locked up the rear tire.

Second, you knew this was coming. I wish the bike was faster. When I first got it the bike felt plenty quick but by the end of last summer it just felt sluggish and I found myself redlining it all the time and wishing it had just a little more go when I would twist the throttle. I've only ridden it a couple times so far this season because the weather around here is crazy. Last week it was 70 today it was 44. But because I've been off of it for a while it feels quick again, but I'm sure that feeling will fade by at least the end of June. Once again though you already owned one so you are probably aware of just how fast they are. This bike has the same exact engine as an 07 with the exception of the cams I think(they changed them to give the bike more low end and midrange torque.

Third, the motor sounds goofy. C'mon it's a 250, we all know they don't sound that great. I would never get anything but the stock exhaust because it sounds like a moped with an aftermarket exhaust. As a matter of fact I was eating at a bar with an outdoor patio last week and someone on a 250 with an exhaust turned the corner and I heard it in person with an exhaust. It just didn't sound great. A bunch of Squids on GSXR's agreed because they were stopped at the light too and started laughing as he turned the corner.(I hate squids).

Last. I live in the land of the squids(chicago suburbs) no helmet laws, no winding roads and no hills. Just straight lines wherever you go, so it's a breeding ground for squids. I would say half of the flatbiller squids around here say something ****ing stupid about my bike or if I encounter them on the road they will try to **** with me because they know it's a 250. It doesn't bother me that much because I could give a rats *** but I would imagine it bothers a lot of other people. On the flip side of that though if I pull up somewhere with a lot of bikes, everyone there usually comes up to check out my bike. It's definetly the most popular when lined up next to 10 other bikes(as long as you are around real enthusiasts and not squids). I get a lot of questions about it and a lot of compliments, but most are still usually followed by "should have gotten a 600"

Other than that stuff I love the bike. I wouldn't say I'm glad I don't have a 600 but I'm not wishing that I had one. Besides since I turned 25 my insurance for the bike went down to $16 a month can't beat that. And I think the 250r is sexy as hell. I prefer the looks of it to many other bikes out there.

I'm sure there is a shitload that I left out. If you have any specific questions just let me know. Here is the crappy pic I took of mine the day I got it.

Edit: I also think I might order a fender eliminator next week. Rear fender is a little crazy on these.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 PM

I also wish it was fuel injected like the european version. I hate and have never understood the primitive technology of carburetors.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lookincrazy
Is that after taxes, licensing, doc fee, freight, and prep? All those charges?

Please elaborate a little more on why? Do you work at a dealer? I would like to know because it will help me on my purchase maybe this weekend!...thanx!
No, it's normal to pay tax/lic/doc fees on a bike (more from a dealership), but I've been amazed by the number of people paying upwards of $500-1500 above MSRP for those Ninjas. The Kawi dealers in Simi Valley and Santa Barbara both regularly get the new Ninja 250 in stock and don't mark up the prices at all. In fact, there was an '09 that was traded in up in Goleta last week that was being sold for $3699 at the dealer. Look around and you'll find a deal
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM

No, it's normal to pay tax/lic/doc fees on a bike (more from a dealership), but I've been amazed by the number of people paying upwards of $500-1500 above MSRP for those Ninjas. The Kawi dealers in Simi Valley and Santa Barbara both regularly get the new Ninja 250 in stock and don't mark up the prices at all. In fact, there was an '09 that was traded in up in Goleta last week that was being sold for $3699 at the dealer. Look around and you'll find a deal
Maybe in places like CA. Around here though the bike businesses have a boom and bust every year. They don't get **** for inventory during the winter and then when it comes in during the warm months there is a huge demand for 250's and the waiting lists start. If you don't pay what they want the next guy on the list will.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ILcrxsi1
Maybe in places like CA. Around here though the bike businesses have a boom and bust every year. They don't get **** for inventory during the winter and then when it comes in during the warm months there is a huge demand for 250's and the waiting lists start. If you don't pay what they want the next guy on the list will.
Don't get me wrong, there are times and seasons where certain bikes are in high demand. Honestly those are some of the worst times to buy vehicles for the simple reason that they are intensely marked up. It's when the wave of popularity starts to decline and people begin selling the *hot* bikes that some people get jacked. And by jacked I mean they are forced to sell their bike at the same price as others despite having paid much more for it. Not fun I'm sure.

I guess I'm just remembering seeing so many ads on CL for people selling their '08 Ninja 250 for $4,500 firm when you can score a new '09 for $3999
Old 03-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK I payed $4200 for mine with taxes title etc. I kind of got hosed but I bought mine(08) last June(deposit in May) when basically the whole world wanted one and I had to wait a month and a half to get it.

You already had an 07 so you probably know a lot about the bike already because it's basically the same thing just restyled. You can assume all of the usual pros from me, handles well, looks nice, great mileage, very forgiving, etc. Everyone knows the pros of the ninja 250r.

There are only a couple things that bother me and they don't really bother me enough to not love the bike.

First problem I have is that I think the front forks could be stiffened up a little bit. When you have to brake hard you will feel the nose dip more than it really feels like it should. I have no basis for comparison because this is the first bike I've ever owned, but I think it could be stiffened a little bit. The rear suspension is adjustable though and I've never messed with it. Maybe increasing the dampening of the rear would help the front? I'm not sure I still don't know much about bikes. Love the rear brake though. It's very forgiving. I've been using it since day 1 and never locked up the rear tire.

Second, you knew this was coming. I wish the bike was faster. When I first got it the bike felt plenty quick but by the end of last summer it just felt sluggish and I found myself redlining it all the time and wishing it had just a little more go when I would twist the throttle. I've only ridden it a couple times so far this season because the weather around here is crazy. Last week it was 70 today it was 44. But because I've been off of it for a while it feels quick again, but I'm sure that feeling will fade by at least the end of June. Once again though you already owned one so you are probably aware of just how fast they are. This bike has the same exact engine as an 07 with the exception of the cams I think(they changed them to give the bike more low end and midrange torque.

Third, the motor sounds goofy. C'mon it's a 250, we all know they don't sound that great. I would never get anything but the stock exhaust because it sounds like a moped with an aftermarket exhaust. As a matter of fact I was eating at a bar with an outdoor patio last week and someone on a 250 with an exhaust turned the corner and I heard it in person with an exhaust. It just didn't sound great. A bunch of Squids on GSXR's agreed because they were stopped at the light too and started laughing as he turned the corner.(I hate squids).

Last. I live in the land of the squids(chicago suburbs) no helmet laws, no winding roads and no hills. Just straight lines wherever you go, so it's a breeding ground for squids. I would say half of the flatbiller squids around here say something ****ing stupid about my bike or if I encounter them on the road they will try to **** with me because they know it's a 250. It doesn't bother me that much because I could give a rats *** but I would imagine it bothers a lot of other people. On the flip side of that though if I pull up somewhere with a lot of bikes, everyone there usually comes up to check out my bike. It's definetly the most popular when lined up next to 10 other bikes(as long as you are around real enthusiasts and not squids). I get a lot of questions about it and a lot of compliments, but most are still usually followed by "should have gotten a 600"

Other than that stuff I love the bike. I wouldn't say I'm glad I don't have a 600 but I'm not wishing that I had one. Besides since I turned 25 my insurance for the bike went down to $16 a month can't beat that. And I think the 250r is sexy as hell. I prefer the looks of it to many other bikes out there.

I'm sure there is a shitload that I left out. If you have any specific questions just let me know. Here is the crappy pic I took of mine the day I got it.

Edit: I also think I might order a fender eliminator next week. Rear fender is a little crazy on these.
I hear you man! Im in southwest michigan about 90 miles from you in Chicago right on the lake. I know whats it like in the summer around here like you were saying. I make it out to chicago once in a while with either train or car.

Ya a 600 might be better but not yet, well not for me. I still want to get some hours under my belt before i move up. Plus around here in the mid-west you can only ride a few months out of the year. And for a new 600 you would probably have to pay twice as much if not more than a new 250. With a 250 its so much easier to sell.

For me its not about speed at all. i dont speed, even with a car. For me its just loving to be on a bike and ride in the open. More like cruising along the beach side or down a country road. Just being on a bike is fun enough for me.

Ya i kind of share the same weather with you here in Michigan. Looks liek we might have some snow on Sunday. I hope the weather warms up pretty soon man! I've seen a bunch of people riding their bikes out here already and im jealous.

I'm in the same boat as soon as far as the power. I wish they would have made the same body in maybe a 350 or 400. That would top it off. The bike looks excellent. I was evening getting compliments on my square headlight 07 250. The 07 compared to the new one is just a totally different looking bike.

Don't pay attention to what any of those ****in squid guys say. Just remember the famous quote "The Fool Speaks, The Wise Man Listens"! Worry about all the tail you will be dragging in man! ......

Let me know if you ever make it out to Southwest Michigan. The Saint Joe area Silver Beach! I'm sure you have heard about it or been here before.

Thats why i am trying to buy mine in the begining of spring until its not too warm so i can get a deal right now. As soon as summer gets close these puppies will be selling like hotcakes!

Don't get me wrong, there are times and seasons where certain bikes are in high demand. Honestly those are some of the worst times to buy vehicles for the simple reason that they are intensely marked up. It's when the wave of popularity starts to decline and people begin selling the *hot* bikes that some people get jacked. And by jacked I mean they are forced to sell their bike at the same price as others despite having paid much more for it. Not fun I'm sure.

I guess I'm just remembering seeing so many ads on CL for people selling their '08 Ninja 250 for $4,500 firm when you can score a new '09 for $3999
Ya i see a lot of those AD's on CL. I guess some people feel more comfortable buying from a private party thinking they are getting a better deal or are afraid of stepping inside a dealer and getting screwed up the ***.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lookincrazy
Is that with Tax, Licensing, Doc Fees, Freight, Prep, the whole nine yards?
msrp was $3999 and he said he'd waive the freight and prep fees. I think the licensing and tax was around $200, so roughly $4200 i guess. i haven't looked at the paperwork they gave me in a while..
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

msrp was $3999 and he said he'd waive the freight and prep fees. I think the licensing and tax was around $200, so roughly $4200 i guess. i haven't looked at the paperwork they gave me in a while..
Tax on $4000 at 6% in PA is $240 plus licensing and registeration. You might want to take a look at the paper and get back to us. Thanx!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 AM

ok, i found the quote:

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r - 3999.00
PA Tax - 239.94
Reg, Title, Docs - 110.50

Total - $4,349.44
Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i found the quote:

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r - 3999.00
PA Tax - 239.94
Reg, Title, Docs - 110.50

Total - $4,349.44

Im gonna try and be around $4000-$4200 Out the door if i can!
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM

I bought my 08 brand new for $3900 OTD, and that included the rear seat cowl. Loved the bike, ended up throwing a full Yoshi exhaust on it, getting it tuned, aftermarket pegs, Puig double bubble, pretty much whatever was coming out for it at the time.

It was significantly faster than a stock 08 they had the dealership, and kicked the crap out of my buddies sportster 883 who I rode with all of the time. Handling was insane, stopping power was adequate (never got to put on the stainless lines), and no matter what people say it is more than capable on the thruway. Realistically unless you're dealing with 600's+, for every day riding there was no downside to this bike. I was getting 70+mpg, insurance was dirt cheap, there was practically no maintenance needed other than the basics. Very fun and affordable.
Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 AM

I also wish it was fuel injected like the european version. I hate and have never understood the primitive technology of carburetors.
carbs keep costs down, but this is stupid since they already have the technology on the euro version.

Im sick of carbs because my ninja 500 is being a bitch. I took the damn things apart 3 times. Im hoping 3rd time's the charm and I get it working in another week. (My throttle return cable is broken so Im waiting until that gets here to finish fixing it up)
Old 03-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like how it looks with the seat delete wow

Last edited by rated_r; 04-04-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by leeminho86
I bought my 08 brand new for $3900 OTD, and that included the rear seat cowl. Loved the bike, ended up throwing a full Yoshi exhaust on it, getting it tuned, aftermarket pegs, Puig double bubble, pretty much whatever was coming out for it at the time.

It was significantly faster than a stock 08 they had the dealership, and kicked the crap out of my buddies sportster 883 who I rode with all of the time. Handling was insane, stopping power was adequate (never got to put on the stainless lines), and no matter what people say it is more than capable on the thruway. Realistically unless you're dealing with 600's+, for every day riding there was no downside to this bike. I was getting 70+mpg, insurance was dirt cheap, there was practically no maintenance needed other than the basics. Very fun and affordable.
I remember speaking to you before about the bike. What time or around when did you buy it? Month? Season?

Did your 3900 include licensing, registration, plates,tax, and doc fees?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just came back from the dealer! Bad News! He didnt give me the deal i wanted and i told him i will buy it right now. He Quoted me $4300 out the door including everything! I told him thanx and left!

Quick Reply: 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R! Owners or soon to be chime in!