Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

1991 cbr 600 f2 wont run

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1991 cbr 600 f2 wont run

So i got this bike in march, cleaned out the tank of all rust, cleaned the petcock, cleaned the carbs and changed the fuel filter, after this it stopped running like ****, but after riding an hour on a really hot day, the bike got hot and ran like ****, barely made it out of traffic, gas was leaking from somewhere around the carbs, but i kept the fan on and let it cool down and turned the gas off, the next morning it would not start like it was not getting gas(did turn the fuel back on).
So where i am at now, is i have re cleaned the carbs, gas is flowing good, but the bike still wont start and idle, i have to crank the throttle and starter to get it to run, but the rpms never go over 1000, and i have messed with the idle screw to see if that would help, it has back fired a few times, and when i run it with the idle screw all the way turned counter clock wise sometimes get it to rev up but still wont stand at idle.
Letting the bike stand my roommate always says the garage smells like gas when the petcock isnt off, but the bike has a vacuum petcock for the F2's. So could the gas be evaporating out from somewhere else?

No gas in the oil or airbox. Carbs, air and fuel filter are clean, battery is new, and when fully charged can crank the bike for hours if i wanted too
only thing i have not done is new spark plugs as i am waiting for a 18 mm thin walled socket.

That is all the details i can think of
any suggestions, links, videos, the bike has finally stumped me
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 cbr 600 f2 wont run

after letting the bike sit for 20 or so minutes, i got it to idle at 1000 rpm, full choke, idle screw full clock wise. died after about a minute of idling, and now its back to above description, shitty plugs do that? valve adjustment? i really do need help trouble shooting this
Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 AM
Trial User

Default Re: 1991 cbr 600 f2 wont run

Hey im having a problem with a 91 cbr f2. I have to have to have the key in the ignition and have to basically hot wire it. TOuch this little jumper cable piece to the fuse. Thats how the guy started it when i got it. I think thats bad. Anyway. Itll start then would it be a wire or the fuse or the ignition switch. First bike ever. And its been crashed so there r no lights or no speedometer to tell whats going on. Any input would help seeing that i dont think its a healthy way to start it in general. Its ridable but this is a problem