Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Who makes the best quality automotive HVAC gauge set

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best quality automotive HVAC gauge set

I went to check pressures on my 2012 Honda Pilot Touring but the schrader valve couplers do not fit on the high side and both couplers will not open the schrader valve turned in fully.

I am tired of cheap chinese crap. Who makes that best professional quality gauge set, couplers, etc. that will work on late model Honda's. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Who makes the best quality automotive HVAC gauge set

Originally Posted by Live Oak
I went to check pressures on my 2012 Honda Pilot Touring but the schrader valve couplers do not fit on the high side and both couplers will not open the schrader valve turned in fully.

I am tired of cheap chinese crap. Who makes that best professional quality gauge set, couplers, etc. that will work on late model Honda's. Thanks!
Robinair, Master Cool, and Yellow jacket are pro quality and withstand day to day use, while maintaining accuracy.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the fast reply DCFIVER! Of the 3 brands you listed, which do believe to be the best? What gauge set is in your toolbox? I have a Robinair gauge set that I purchase off of the MAC tool truck MANY years ago when R-22 was still used. I took a chance on a Harbor Freight el cheapo set that appeared to be decent quality.........at least until I tried using it on my Honda. It did OK on our Dodge trucks and some other vehicle but not my Pilot.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Live Oak
Thanks for the fast reply DCFIVER! Of the 3 brands you listed, which do believe to be the best? What gauge set is in your toolbox? I have a Robinair gauge set that I purchase off of the MAC tool truck MANY years ago when R-22 was still used. I took a chance on a Harbor Freight el cheapo set that appeared to be decent quality.........at least until I tried using it on my Honda. It did OK on our Dodge trucks and some other vehicle but not my Pilot.
I dont know that there is a "best". I suppose you could always get a bad set and that will sour you to that brand. We have both Master Cool and Robinair sets in the shop. A few of em. They work fine.

Ive personally used all 3 brands I mentioned over the last 21 years and never had a problem. I suppose anything is better than Harbor Freight.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the Lord must have heard my !@#$ fit over crappy tools the other morning. I vented my frustrations to my daughters boy friend who by chance had just bought an HVAC gauge kit off of the Snap On truck where he works. The gauge kit was on sale so I asked him to pick one up for me. He said he will bring his gauge set over this weekend and we can check pressures then. I have the freon and vacuum pump if needed. Hopefully it is just a matter of the R-134 charge being borderline low.

Here is a link to the Snap On sale if anyone else may be interested:

https://store.snapon.com/Manifold-Te...--C675588.aspx

https://store.snapon.com/Digital-Man...--P648710.aspx

I'll get back with what we find out.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I finally settled on. Real nice set of gauges and they were on sale to boot.

https://store.snapon.com/Manifold-Te...g-P737862.aspx
Old 07-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member