Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Weird CarPlay issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird CarPlay issue

So ive been battling an issue with my dealership and now pushing it to apple and apple is doing the same. So here is my issue. If im using apple carplay in my 2019 pilot via usb cable and use maps. Once the maps tells me to turn i loose having the person on the other line hear my voice unless i disconnect the usb to disable carplay. I can still hear them. I find it hard to believe its an apple thing when i own another vehicle with apple carplay and have zero issues. Anyone heard of this issue on 2019 pilot or maybe another model of a Honda?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Weird CarPlay issue

I have this exact issue with my 2018 Odyssey Touring. Honda claims the the latest Apple updates create problems such as this. Honda is not yet able to provide their own update, to make the phone and car fully compatible.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm having this problem with a 2019 pilot ex-l awd. infotainment turned off a month after purchasing the car using apple carplay during a drive. i've been reading online that honda can't figure it out even after changing the entire wiring harness. i stopped using carplay but i hear static when i'm using the radio.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Weird CarPlay issue it more then carplay

Passport 2019 ex-l

sound goes out on am and fm stations ... 4 incidents in 2500 miles....

video provided to the dealer.. who provided it to honda na

2nd trip to the dealer to fix..
cannot reproduce but video does wonders for proof...

car has been at dealer for 11 days.. for diagnosis and repair

honda appears to be trying lots of things to other folks pilots and passports with similar problems..
I USE ANDROID AUTO..

radio appears to not like certain spots in town. "dead zones"
the loner pilot 2018 does not go out at the Dead Spots.. only the passport i purchased

the dealer ordered a new tuner. FIVE DAYS TO GET A PANASONIC TUNER FROM HONDA..
Friday of last week.. tuner arrived.. (they still have my car)

I think there is a programming problem vs a hardware problem. (or both). but I am not a master mechanic and barely a backyard one...

the forums for acura and pilot etc are showing a number of similar and extended issues with the infotainment systems and related electronics.

wire harness changes are reported.. tuner changes reported...

Law suit filed apparently for acura owners ... (class action I believe i read...)
the legal action indicates that honda's attempt to repair the problems across models by replacing parts vs identifying the issue is only replacing bad parts with new bad parts...

I wonder how long honda service will keep my NEW CAR...

I like the car.. just not the new added feature of infotainment not working...

The color is not yet yellow.... I hope it does not become that color...

but this is in the first 60 days of purchase and 2500 miles on a new vehicle... Not all the cars are having the issue...(or so it appears)
I would buy one without the problem in a minute.. I LIKE THE CAR...

but .. Honda NA has to communicate what Corporate is doing to fix this..

Lots of states have state consumer laws that provide warranty that the manufacturer must honor.. but then the car color changes...

I have a great dealer.. I have a loaner and i can be somewhat patient... but there are limits.. ....
Old 08-20-2019, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so my radio shut off 2 hours in on a 4 hour trip using pandora through bluetooth. switched to FM but couldn't find a station. it kept searching. stopped at the nearest gas station to reset the infotainment by pulling the fuse. i want to take it to the dealership but it's pointless if there's no solution.

had my first oil change at 6500 last week. the tech reset the maintenance minder and the radio was clear for about a 100 miles. the static and cutting off of the radio came back. still sounds like rocks hitting my windshield.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For resetting, try using a USB keyboard and perform (control, alt, delete) to reboot the infotainment. Rumor is Honda will have a software fix this fall for the 2019 Pilot and 2019 Ody.