Acura MDX / RDX

Misfire on my 07 Odyssey EX-L engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire on my 07 Odyssey EX-L engine

Hi there,

I have some questions about engine misfire.
The engine in myOOdyssey is the 3.5L V6 VTEC with VCM (J35A7)
Yesterday I installed a VCM Disabler. I was monitoring the car before and after the installation. There were misfires reported before and after the installation.
On the 65 miles test drive yesterday (55 miles on Autobahn with average speed of 85mph and 10 miles on regular road and city with speed between 30mph and 50mph), the diagnostic system, connected to the ODB2 port, logged 30 misfires.
There were zero misfire reported on the cylinders.

​​​It seems that the misfires mostly happened when the car was accelerating, but they aren't noticeable at all.

The car has like a total of 122.300 miles. Last replacement of the spark plugs was at about 80.000 miles, like 5yrs ago (NGK Iridium), together with timing belt and water pump replacement. A month ago I replaced the battery. Certainly it's a fully serviced car, it got service when maintenance minder asked for it.

The engine runs very very smooth, especially since the VCM Disabler is installed. As mentioned the misfire are not noticeable, I only knew about them as they got logged on the diagnostics system.

Any idea what I should do about it? How should I start investigating? Should I check if all spark plugs still look good? Or is there something else I should be concerned about?

Or are 30 misfires "normal" and nothing to worry about??

Thanks in advance!