Acura MDX / RDX

Horn blowing after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:08 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn blowing after battery change

02 Honda Odyssey (last 10 vin) 032B049044

Friend asked me to change the pressure line of the power steering pump (new) and the hood latch (used). Once done I pick the battery up from the auto parts (on charge), hook it up and the horn starts blowing, not like an alarm but like someone is laying on the horn button.

I unplug the hood latch and try again, same result.
I turn key to on position and reconnect battery, horn still seeking attention.
Left horn blowing and lock/unlock drivers door with key many many times, still no change.

That is basically all Google has to offer on this situation, need your help.

This thing supposedly started and ran fine before I changed the line and latch, this is on my shoulders now.

Thanks for your time.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: Horn blowing after battery change

1. So, even the hood latch switch connector unplugged the horn still blows?

The security hood switch is part of the latch. The way the security hood switch works is when the hood is open, a ground signal is allowed through the switch to the security/multiplex control unit. Normally, when the hood is closed, there should be no ground signal coming from the hood switch. If the hood was closed and the security system sensed a ground signal from the hood switch, it sounds the alarm because it thinks the hood is open.

2. Is the hood damaged or the u-shaped striker on the hood bent? If not, try adjusting the latch first and greasing it. During replacement, latch needs to be centered.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tech8
1. So, even the hood latch switch connector unplugged the horn still blows?
yes...

Latch is centered and nothing is bent, that i remember, (car is 15 miles away) I will ride out and double check tomorrow (raining now) but the hood closes and opens perfectly with the junk yard latch. My first thought was the sensor was bad on the used part, thus unplugging the switch. I was wrong. Nothing can be easy LOL.

Thanks for your help and any other suggestions you my have.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

1. Unplug the connector to the left horn. If it stops, there is probably a short in the Blu/Red power wire going to the left horn.

2. Since the horn wire runs along the same engine wire harness as the security hood switch, take a look at the wire harness to see if it is pinched, etc.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tech8
1. Unplug the connector to the left horn. If it stops, there is probably a short in the Blu/Red power wire going to the left horn.

2. Since the horn wire runs along the same engine wire harness as the security hood switch, take a look at the wire harness to see if it is pinched, etc.

Something I did not mention, guess I should have. I get no starter contact when I turn the key to the start position, no gauge movement either. This is why I was fixated on the alarm.

I will start tracing horn wires tomorrow, Looks like I have taken on a headache.

thank you.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Trial User

full disclosure...

The power steering pressure switch plug wires were broken off at the plug, noticed all the cars in the junk yard were the same so I ordered a new plug. This plug should just be a simple on/off right? No right or wrong way to wire it? Either way, I unplugged it too when i unplugged the latch. took it back to before I touched it (or was my attempt anyway).
Old 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM
Trial User

no crossed or pinched wires.
anyone have a schematic for the alarm?
Old 10-22-2022, 08:13 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=Unc Wick;51928966]02 Honda Odyssey (last 10 vin) 032B049044

Friend asked me to change the pressure line of the power steering pump (new) and the hood latch (used). Once done I pick the battery up from the auto parts (on charge), hook it up and the horn starts blowing, not like an alarm but like someone is laying on the horn button.

I unplug the hood latch and try again, same result.
I turn key to on position and reconnect battery, horn still seeking attention.
Left horn blowing and lock/unlock drivers door with key many many times, still no change.

That is basically all Google has to offer on this situation, need your help.

This thing supposedly started and ran fine before I changed the line and latch, this is on my shoulders now.

Thanks for your time.[/QUOT

I just had this problem. Solved it by pushing the lock / unlock buttons on the key fob while the horn was honking. The honking stopped and the car is back to normal