Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Honda Odyssey electrical problems after rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda Odyssey electrical problems after rain

I have had an on going electrical issue with my 2010 Honda Odyssey.
It started after my wife had noticed dash lights on and the alarm would go off on occasion. We ended up at a Honda dealership and they noted that their were a lot of codes that kept coming up on the diagnostic test. They kept it for over a week and determined the cause was the battery. They explained that the battery had enough power to start the car, but not enough to operate all of the electrical components and was therefore throwing codes--since it "thought" they were failing. I do not have enough experience or knowledge to have known at the time if this is accurate; however, I now believe this is not the cause; although it may have been a symptom at the time.

After a few months of having similar issues, I have determined that after the car has been outside during rain, the following issues arise (first to last):
  1. Key FOB will not lock or unlock doors.
  2. Headlight/daytime light will turn on dim on and off (when the car and light control is off).
  3. VSA and ABS lights will illmuminate on the dash.
  4. Car alarm will go off.
  5. Passenger-side sliding door will not fully close in automatic mode. Will almost completely close and then open as if it encountered an obstruction. I can close it in manually; but the red dash light indicates the door is open.
  6. Rapid clicking noise. Similar to when you put your turn signal on, but twice as fast. This happens immediately after I turn the vehicle off.
  7. The "D" gear light on the dash will flash when I am driving (this has happened only one time).
  8. When I use the driver control to roll up the rear passenger window, the red sliding door open indicator light on the dash will turn off. When I release it the red indicator light goes back on.
I will disconnect the negative side of the battery during a rain and for a few days after. Typically, 5-7 days after rain and everything "dries up" the issue will go away and the car returns to normal operation. If the vehicle stays in the garage during rain we don't experience any problems, so I don't think it is high moisture/humidity that causes the issue.

I am a novice when it comes to repairs and work on vehicles. I was able to replace the VTEC solenoid valve on my accord with the help of this forum. I have seen lots of electrical issue posts on here; but, nothing similar to what I have been experiencing. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. If I have left out any pertinent information please let me know and I will answer the best I can.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-09-2019, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Honda Odyssey electrical problems after rain

There doesn't seem much congruency among the items you list, and I suspect more than one symptom is either a red herring or symptom of something else. Thus, it's prudent to begin your t'shooting the phenomenon by eliminating the mundane.

"5-7 days after rain and everything 'dries up'" and "I don't think it is high moisture/humidity [is the cause]" are mutually exclusive. It's highly probable moisture is the problem. Strategic application of WD-40 (or similar water displacement) where appropriate is warranted.

Get your battery checked. If the battery tests OK, thoroughly clean the battery terminals and clamps and inspect both cables, and carefully inspect the ground cable and connection to engine block and negative terminal to chassis.

Alternatively, and as a test post prior sentence, rather than [color=#000000]disconnecting the negative cable during a rain, connect a trickle charger and let it do its thing over whatever duration is typical for you, then evaluate the symptoms as per your routine against your typical experience. (Theory: The Odyssey may have a parasitic drain exacerbated by high moisture/humidity.)

Last edited by lothian; 04-09-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I saw your post and I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey and consistently have some of the problems you listed whenever it rains:
- VSA and ABS lights will illmuminate on the dash.
- Car alarm will go off. *** Only if we lock the doors. We just leave it unlocked now ) ***
- Passenger-side sliding door will not fully close in automatic mode. Will almost completely close and then open as if it encountered an obstruction. I can close it in manually; but the red dash light indicates the door is open.
- The "D" gear light on the dash will flash when I am driving (this has happened only one time).

We had our van at a local shop for a week to test for any parasitic battery drain issues and they removed a Kahu device that was installed by the dealer, but that didn't resolve the issue. We also had another mechanic remove the side sliding door, and dry and supposedly waterproof it, but that didn't resolve the issue either. Now we have to cover it whenever it rains if we're able to catch it in time. This is extremely annoying and I'd love to fix it, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For your power sliding door: check the middle hinge to see if it seized. I had the same issue in my Nissan. Later Nissan changed from blued steel to painted hinges and that solved the problem for the next generation.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Trial User

I have a 2010 touring with same problems alarm goes off if locked lights flash shows passengers side slide door open when it rains sitting in driveway I 've looked at everything had it to three different shops and still no luck
Old 12-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Perhaps you could just short the sensor on that damn door and live with that.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:42 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by ted11
It started after my wife had noticed dash lights on and the alarm would go off on occasion. We ended up at a Honda dealership and they noted that their were a lot of codes that kept coming up on the diagnostic test. They kept it for over a week and determined the cause was the battery. They explained that the battery had enough power to start the car, but not enough to operate all of the electrical components and was therefore throwing codes--since it "thought" they were failing. I do not have enough experience or knowledge to have known at the time if this is accurate; however, I now believe this is not the cause; although it may have been a symptom at the time.

After a few months of having similar issues, I have determined that after the car has been outside during rain, the following issues arise (first to last):
  2. Headlight/daytime light will turn on dim on and off (when the car and light control is off).
  5. Passenger-side sliding door will not fully close in automatic mode. Will almost completely close and then open as if it encountered an obstruction. I can close it in manually; but the red dash light indicates the door is open.
  6. Rapid clicking noise. Similar to when you put your turn signal on, but twice as fast. This happens immediately after I turn the vehicle off.
  7. The "D" gear light on the dash will flash when I am driving (this has happened only one time).
  8. When I use the driver control to roll up the rear passenger window, the red sliding door open indicator light on the dash will turn off. When I release it the red indicator light goes back on.
I will disconnect the negative side of the battery during a rain and for a few days after. Typically, 5-7 days after rain and everything "dries up" the issue will go away and the car returns to normal operation. If the vehicle stays in the garage during rain we don't experience any problems, so I don't think it is high moisture/humidity that causes the issue.

I am a novice when it comes to repairs and work on vehicles. I was able to replace the VTEC solenoid valve on my accord with the help of this forum. I have seen lots of electrical issue posts on here; but, nothing similar to what I have been experiencing. Any help and guidance would be appreciated. If I have left out any pertinent information please let me know and I will answer the best I can.

Hi, I have a 2001 Odyssey with similar issues.
From all the research I’ve done there’s a water leak issue. For some, it could be clogged sunroof drains. More likely, and what seems like my issue, water is getting in through the roof and running down the A column (drivers side). The MICU is getting wet and causing a host of weird electrical quirks including the alarm going off randomly, various lights on the dash cutting on and off, etc.

Have you noticed a mild mildew smell in the van after a rain?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Roy01Odyssey
Hi, I have a 2001 Odyssey with similar issues.
From all the research I’ve done there’s a water leak issue. For some, it could be clogged sunroof drains. More likely, and what seems like my issue, water is getting in through the roof and running down the A column (drivers side). The MICU is getting wet and causing a host of weird electrical quirks including the alarm going off randomly, various lights on the dash cutting on and off, etc.

Have you noticed a mild mildew smell in the van after a rain?
I have experienced strange symptoms with heavy rain in sunroofs as well. If the water drains are clogged, pooled up water can make it's way in to areas where it is not intended.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:37 AM
Trial User

I'm having the same issues in my 2010 Honda Odyssey ex-l. Only after it rains, crazy clicking noise, alarm going off if locked, key fob won't lock or unlock, windows won't roll up or down, abs /vsa light stays on, ect.
I've spent 1000 on repairs already. The dealership said it was my power control supply module at 1st, and it was OK till it rained again... Now it's back at the dealership, they've had it for over a week, and nada yet... I'm so frustrated with this.
If this many people are having this issue, I think there should be a recall done for this problem.

Has anyone found and actual solution?

Thanks.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:48 PM
Trial User

Having the same problem here and more ( Flasher doesnt work, can't open door electronically, Wipper started alone) -Honda Odyssey 2010 Ex-L.

Solution ??
Thanks
Old 04-20-2021, 01:35 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Cause may be due to water entering the Connector C701 behind the left rear side trim panel. See service bulletin. Also, check driver's side under-dash Fuse No. 7 (7.5A) and Fuse No. 21 (7.5A).

SB-A08-078

Old 05-18-2021, 10:34 AM
Trial User

Your post has been critical for me.

I had given up, but after seeing your response and the details included and.....the link for the service bulletin.... I have some new hope. There were lots posts to read from people with similar issues online. you post was the first time I had seeing the service bulletin from Honda. (Thank you)

Is there an easy way I can download the service manual and any other service bulletins? (2007 Odyssey, No 🌞/🌚 Roof)

Originally Posted by tech8
Cause may be due to water entering the Connector C701 behind the left rear side trim panel. See service bulletin. Also, check driver's side under-dash Fuse No. 7 (7.5A) and Fuse No. 21 (7.5A).

SB-A08-078

Old 07-12-2021, 09:55 PM
Trial User

Had similar issues for a 2006 Honda CRV.... Might sound too simple but the factory battery terminal connection was stretched over time and was barely making connection on the positive post. Changed that and it fixed a lot of the electrical issues.
Old 02-18-2023, 11:57 AM
Trial User

I am having exactly these same issues. I can say yes to all the symptoms you have described after driving in a hard rain. Did you get any results from any repairs? What about the anti-theft system? Have you heard it should be disabled?
Old 04-14-2024, 04:36 PM
Trial User

**Reply**
I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey with almost the exact same issues that yours is having. The cause for me was water intrusion into the inside drivers side fuse box.

My fix was two things.
1: Reseal the roof channels to keep more water from getting in. (Hopefully)
2: I removed the inside drivers side fuse box completely, then opened the fuse box by removing the back casing. Once I had access the inside of the fuse box and circuit boards inside, I cleaned all corrosion with contact cleaner and a soft tooth brush.
After cleaning allow everything to dry completely.
After everything is dry you can spray battery protector spray on any non contact spots to help block / keep any future water from causing any more issues.
Then reassemble the fuse box.
Then clean any corrosion from any affected plug end with contact cleaner and compressed air, and allow them to dry completely.
After all connectors are dry, coat each plug face with dielectric grease and plug them in.
After all connectors are plugged back in, spray the back side of each plug with battery protector spray, again to help protector against any future water issues.

After all of that was done, and it is a bit of a pain in the backside, the van started right up, no fault lights of any kind are on now, and all systems are working as they should.
See attached photos for more details.