Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Engine locking up while vehicle is not running? How can this be???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine locking up while vehicle is not running? How can this be???

Head scratcher:
2010 Honda Pilot, 150K. Vehicle was last driven while everything was normal, oil pressure, temps. no fluids in oil pan that shouldn't be there, just oil. Parked for 1-1/2 weeks, attempted start, battery dead. Charged battery, click click, cables hot. Relaced cables, grounds, starter & battery. Click Click. Pulled starter and it tested fine. Could turn engine with socket wrench on upper pulley bolt, difficult but plugs in. After a month, gave up and had it towed to a shop.
Told me the new starter was bad and he would put in another. He did. Click, click. No surprise. He pulled plugs, turned over engine by hand, turns but very hard. Put PB Blaster in cyliders and let it sit for a few days. No improvement. His diagnosis is that engine is going away/gone, too tight. Timing belt intact or valves would impact pistons when turning by hand.
Says trans/torque converter not the problem. New engine needed he says. Sounds like bullsh*t but the fact is the damn thing won't trun over
How the bloody h*ll does an engine tighten up to the point where it can't be turned with a starter? While it was sitting in the driveway? If I believe this guy, the vehicle is basically trash since the cost of swapping in another engine is prohibitive on a $10K car.
Has anyone EVER heard of such a thing? I haven't and I've been doing my own mechanical work for 40+ years including overhauls.

Keep in mind while reading this that the engine was running normally when shut off, had been idling smoothly while I unhooked my utility trailer then backed up to the garage and shut it off. THE ENGINE HAS NOT TURNED A REVOLUTION SINCE WITHOUT THE AID OF A SOCKET AND BAR.
Tearing my hair out here. I don't want to throw good money after bad but I hate to give up on a really nice, formerly reliable vehicle.
Cross posted on Honda Forum.

Thanks to ANYONE that has ANY ideas.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine locking up while vehicle is not running? How can this be???

Try the starter with a good power cart. You charged the battery but it could be weak and not able to give you the amps you need.

Even though it rotates with difficulty, I rotate it a bunch and see if the difficulty ever changes.

Then I'd drain the engine oil through a strainer and look for metal particles or chunks.

Good luck but this doesn't sound good.