Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

AC Clutch clearance

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Clutch clearance

I replaced the AC clutch coil in my 2005 Honda Odyssey 14 months ago.
I didn't think about the clearance of the clutch at that time. When the coil fried, I thought I got a bad coil so I ordered another one and replaced it.
The shims I got with the new coil got me to thinking I should use them to readjust the clearance.
I didn't find anything so I guessed. The first guess allowed the clutch to slip so I removed a shim.
This seemed to work and I left it there. Went for a test drive and the AC was working fine for about 10 miles, then went out.
I'm getting ready to go troubleshoot the issue, but was thinking that I had the clearance too wide and it heated up the clutch and fried the new coil.

I have not found a procedure or spec for the clearance on the AC clutch.

Can anyone point me to references for this setting?

Thanks,
-=Carey
Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AC Clutch clearance

Well for my 05 Acura TL (not the exact same engine, but they are very similar) the clutch air gap is 0.3mm - 0.55mm per the factory service manual, I remember I played around with mine for like 30 minutes with a feeler gauge till I got it dialed in at .38mm (it was at .48mm on the old stuff), I was working with 7 shims. I replaced my field coil & clutch assembly at the same time.

There is also chance the A/C relay is having issues as well, not just the coil. Have you verified your refrigerant pressures/levels are within spec as well?

EDIT:

Have you ohm tested the field coil yet to see what it reads when its cold vs hot? One way to know if it is shot is it will read and open circuit when its hot, you can also jump the A/C clutch relay (with the car off) and listen for an audible click both with the car cold & with it hot when the A/C is no longer cold. But I wouldn't do this until you can confirm/set your clutch gap.

Are you using OEM field coils or cheap aftermarket ones?