Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

ABS Sensor Error Tone Ring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Sensor Error Tone Ring?

Hey guys, I got a 06 Ridgeline, after replacing the front right ABS sensor the light came back on after several days and highway driving.

I am thinking the tone ring may be corroded or damaged. I can't seem to find it online.

Is the tone ring built in to the axle? Is it available separately?

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Global Moderator

Received 419 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Re: ABS Sensor Error Tone Ring?

Honda no longer used the ABS tone ring (pulser) on the front axle like previous generation Hondas. Some axles won’t even have it. The magnetic encoder is incorporated into the wheel bearing. The ABS system uses sensors to pick up a signal from the magnetic encoder on the wheel bearing. Even if the axle has an ABS tone ring on it, it may not serve any functional purpose.

Is there anything that happened before the trouble code?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ABS Sensor Error Tone Ring?

Originally Posted by tech8
Honda no longer used the ABS tone ring (pulser) on the front axle like previous generation Hondas. Some axles won’t even have it. The magnetic encoder is incorporated into the wheel bearing. The ABS system uses sensors to pick up a signal from the magnetic encoder on the wheel bearing. Even if the axle has an ABS tone ring on it, it may not serve any functional purpose.

Is there anything that happened before the trouble code?

Gotcha, the wheel bearing is a press in type, didn't know they read from that. I usually see a tone ring which is the problem is the sensor isn't it. I didn't see anything but it does appear that the axle was replaced previously so I assumed there was a problem with the tone ring or someone left it off when installing the new axle.

No issues previously, ABS/Traction lights are on, replaced the sensor and it was fine until driven on the highway and the lights came back on. There Was heavy rust and corrosion on the spindle so maybe the bearing is trashed too.

Edit: Clearly you are correct, the bearing has the magnetic pickup. Appreciate your time and prompt response. Time to order a new bearing.