Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2010 MDX Transmission Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 MDX Transmission Advice

Hello everyone, just wanted to see about some feedback on a situation. I recently had a bad dealership experience, which involved some pretty major issues. My most concerning is that my transmission dipstick was apparently not returned to its proper place on one of my services. Truth be told (I know, shame on me for not double checking), it could have been anytime in the past year. I take my vehicle strictly to the dealership for services and/or repairs. Nobody touched it but them. I'll try to keep the story short, I bought the vehicle last year (in another state, non-acura dealer), had it checked out by my dealer and to address a software update for the tranny. They said all was good, did the software update and recommend brake fluid (did it) change and tranny service. Had a tranny fluid change 14K miles ago (supposedly). My truck had about 60k on it when I bought it (Jan 2015), it now has 78k. To save some $, I recently had hubby do front brakes/rotors and when he checked brake fluid, the transmission dipstick was not in place and the tube had at least 1-2" of crap around the outer edge, and visible debris in the tube. Fluid is brown already (I have doubts that they even did the change seeing as they recently charged me for rear diff change & oil change but didn't do it), now I'm concerned about the transmission.

Seeing as I'm out of powertrain warranty, would you do a flush, or just a series of changes? I've heard there's controversy over flushes, but I really don't know much about why. I do know that not all the fluid gets replaced with a change, so its possible some dirty fluid is still in there, causing it to be brown already. The dealership wants to "make it right" but I simply cannot trust them, seeing as they've serviced my truck at EVERY interval since Jan 2015 and they didn't "notice" the transmission fluid dipstick wasn't seated during ANY of their so-called fluid checks? I'm toying with asking them to provide me a 50,000 mile warranty on the transmission. Maybe even the engine seeing as they didn't do my last change (and God only knows how many others) and I had a lot of sandy crap from the dipstick and few little metal flakes in the oil change we did subsequently. We did a double change on the engine oil and will do another on Friday after I've driven it a little more.

What actions would you take for the tranny? I plan on doing at least a fluid change and collecting everything from the pan in a jar just in case. There's no filter, so no telling what's in there churning Whatever is done, it will be done by us. I know the engine flush is really not recommended but is that the same reason tranny flushes seem to have controversy, too?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: 2010 MDX Transmission Advice

Wow. With the history you've had with that shop, I'd have a hard time going back there for any service.

I've heard that the tranny flush is not recommended for Honda vehicles because it could damage an internal filter. A flush for Honda (and I assume for Acura) is a series of 4 drain and fills. Ideally, I would suggest flushing the tranny fluid using a bladder method where clean fluid is taken in from a bladder (not forced in by a pump) via the intake line and the outflow line is in a waste bucket. Crank the engine up and let the engine/tranny do the flush. But finding a shop that can do that could be a challenge.

If I ever need to do a flush (multiple D&Fs), I typically do them about a week apart so I get a good fluid mix. Alternatively, you could make a day of it and do a D&F, drive for a few miles, exercising all gears and repeat the process until you have 4 D&Fs. For example, the Pilot and Ridgeline with the 5AT hold about 8.5 qts of tranny fluid and about 3.5 qts drain out when doing a fluid change. So it takes about 4 changes to get to around 88% fresh fluid. 3 changes will get you to about 80%.

Here's Honda's official word on tranny flushes (and I assume that applies to Acuras). Note this was written when ATF-Z1 was the official fluid. Now, DW-1 is the official fluid for many Honda automatics.
Name:  2wlqfQk.png
Views: 69
Size:  77.2 KB

Name:  SoWeAH9.png
Views: 70
Size:  164.6 KB
Old 08-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by speedlever
Wow. With the history you've had with that shop, I'd have a hard time going back there for any service.

I've heard that the tranny flush is not recommended for Honda vehicles because it could damage an internal filter. A flush for Honda (and I assume for Acura) is a series of 4 drain and fills. Ideally, I would suggest flushing the tranny fluid using a bladder method where clean fluid is taken in from a bladder (not forced in by a pump) via the intake line and the outflow line is in a waste bucket. Crank the engine up and let the engine/tranny do the flush. But finding a shop that can do that could be a challenge.

If I ever need to do a flush (multiple D&Fs), I typically do them about a week apart so I get a good fluid mix. Alternatively, you could make a day of it and do a D&F, drive for a few miles, exercising all gears and repeat the process until you have 4 D&Fs. For example, the Pilot and Ridgeline with the 5AT hold about 8.5 qts of tranny fluid and about 3.5 qts drain out when doing a fluid change. So it takes about 4 changes to get to around 88% fresh fluid. 3 changes will get you to about 80%.

Here's Honda's official word on tranny flushes (and I assume that applies to Acuras). Note this was written when ATF-Z1 was the official fluid. Now, DW-1 is the official fluid for many Honda automatics.

hey, thanks! Helpful to hear from someone on their thoughts.

4 changes? I could do that, I'll have the dealer pay for the fluid so no skin off my back. Just time. I'd love to see a good 80% change...
Old 08-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Your MDX has a replaceable external transmission filter. You may want to change that out. Attached are two Acura service bulletin. One of them has more info. on transmission fluid flushing at a dealership.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
b12-007.pdf (260.0 KB, 482 views)
File Type: pdf
b16-044.pdf (36.2 KB, 889 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 04:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Great info tech8! I didn't know the Acura had an external filter.

Does the Acura auto differ substantially from the Honda 5AT? Does the info I posted above have any relevance to a 2010 Acura?