Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

2001 Honda Odyssey 3.5L, bad transmission

Old 02-13-2019, 10:25 PM
Trial User

Default 2001 Honda Odyssey 3.5L, bad transmission

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey minivan with a broken transmission, this is the second transmission that this vehicle has had in it. Replaced a few years ago by dealership, now it slips and the van stalls out if you try to start it. Motor is still good and in great working condition. Was thinking bout A. Selling the vehicle as-is, and let someone else deal with it B. Fixing it by replacing the transmission once more, and then selling it, C. Parting it out, D. Taking the motor out and putting it in another Honda, preferably a civic or integra or something. Has anyone here done option D before? If so, can you share your experience, want to know if this is doable or just a big waste of time.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 Honda Odyssey 3.5L, bad transmission

if youre talking about the j35 or j30 engine swap, its been done a few times from what i remember. Got to cut some stuff to make it fit right but it looks good lol

i'm browsing the forums and fixing to pick up a 2000 model from my mom to add to the fleet.

my trnas is acting up as well but i'm going to get it rebuilt or swap another one in. It would make a cool swap but its not as cut and dry as d/b/k series swaps.

Edit: https://bit.ly/2IkIHbH

" The 4-speed automatic transmission in 1999 to 2001 models had serious problems with transmission durability. Honda spokesman Mike Spencer stated that four-speed models were afflicted with a bad bearing that could break apart, scattering fragments of metal that clogged fluid passageways in the transmission, causing it to shift erratically.[16] Honda responded to the problems by extending the warranty on the transmission on American 1999-2001 models to 7 years or 100,000 miles (160,900 km). A class action settlement further extended coverage to 109,000 miles (175,400 km) or 93 months for some 1999-2001 Odysseys in the US.[17] Canada is not included. The five-speed automatic was first installed in the Odyssey for the 2002 model, but general reliability of the 1999-2003 transmission was poor according to Consumer Reports. Mike Spencer, a spokesman for Honda, said that the five-speed models typically were damaged by premature wear of the third-gear clutch pack. As the clutch friction material abraded, it scattered bits inside the transmission case, clogging fluid lines and causing erratic shifting. Drivers might suffer slipping, poor or no shifts, or sudden down-shifts from 5th gear to 2nd gear.[16]

Under some conditions, a different 5-speed transmission problem arose. Second gear could overheat and break, causing the transmission to lock. An oil jet was added to lubricate this gear but this did not solve the third gear clutch problem.[18] The addition of the Honda transmission cooler with the towing package still allows transmission fluid temperatures that are too high. But it was required along with a power steering cooler for any towing, or the warranty would be void. The Acura CL, TL, MDX and Honda Accord suffered similar problems. "

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: