Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Rotrex Supercharger for CR-Z

Old 01-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Rotrex Supercharger for CR-Z

so what are the chances of fitting a Rotrex supercharger in this engine bay?

dont be a dumbass and say impossible. if its not, tell me why. if you think a "supercharged hybrid" just sounds stupid, shut up and sit down and let the adults talk.

that AC line looks like its in a bad position. but otherwise what else would prevent a drop in installation? that whole intake box plastic takes up a major amount of space that would be deleted with any kit... right?

im hoping theres some insight from the 1.5 Fit Kraftwerks supercharger kit owners.

anyone got any info on this "power enterprise" kit on an insight? if they can put it in the 1.3 Hybrid, whats stopping the 1.5L?

http://www.rotrex.com/Home/Superchar...7-922b12e851cc

Last edited by Tyson; 06-03-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rotrex Supercharger for CR-Z

totally possible, just a matter of time!! On another note looks as if a k20 would fit, but we'll save that for another thread.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the supercharger gets mounted where the airbox sits, with a shaft crossing the intake manifold, im sure theres a way to devise a bracket setup to allow a pulley to sit above that tensioner. the a/c line would need to be relocated im sure though... that would likely come in any kit offered.

i think a swap would be a much better idea though...

a supercharged version would likely yeild only similar results as a stock k20....
Old 01-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the Kraftwerks Fit kit has the supercharger mounted on the rear of the engine.

Assuming the packaging is similar, which is a decent bet, it should fit.

Hell, I'd bet the CR-Z engine is L15 derived to begin with... might even be a close to direct fit!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90Rexx
i think a swap would be a much better idea though...

a supercharged version would likely yeild only similar results as a stock k20....
well if youre going to assume a supercharged IMA 1.5L = stock k20, dont you think adding on a kit that is also reversible would be easier and cheaper than ripping out all the IMA and swapping in a completely new engine???

i wouldnt even expect it to equal a K20 btw. but something marginally better than 9.7s 0-60 at least!

and the good thing is that AC lines are somewhat moldable and bendable, if done carefully. id rather not have to do a recharge!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shifty35
Looks like the Kraftwerks Fit kit has the supercharger mounted on the rear of the engine.

Assuming the packaging is similar, which is a decent bet, it should fit.

Hell, I'd bet the CR-Z engine is L15 derived to begin with... might even be a close to direct fit!
im pretty sure the 1.5L CRZ is pretty much the same as the Fit engine...

i see why the SC is placed behind the engine. its the only direct path to the crank pulley. comparing engines, im reminded the CR-Z doesnt need an alternator, so thats missing. not sure if that helps or not.

anyway... just more musings. another look at the L15 engine.

Last edited by Tyson; 01-14-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tyson
im pretty sure the 1.5L CRZ is pretty much the same as the Fit engine...

i see why the SC is placed behind the engine. its the only direct path to the crank pulley. comparing engines, im reminded the CR-Z doesnt need an alternator, so thats missing. not sure if that helps or not.

anyway... just more musings. another look at the L15 engine.
Yeah, that was my assumption as soon as I heard the CR-Z would have a 1.5L.

Presumably it has some alterations over the stock Fit engine, though, different cam profile, pistons, something to better match its power delivery to the IMA system.

So anyway, fair bet that the Kraftwerks kit will be darn near bolt on, except maybe the charge pipes.

Stolen from Kraftwerks website, L15 high boost kit...

Still much less than a K20, but preserves all the IMA / fuel economy bits.

The low boost kit is pretty sad in comparison

For the CRZ, add in a fair bit of torque below 3k provided by the IMA, and a couple HP up top.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder how the IMA would react with an SC.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

speaking of torque curves, the CR-Z is clearly set up for low end torque (like the HF). i'm also not sure how the SC will react to that, im really not familiar with FI.

(wont allow hot linking) http://sohc.vtec.net/news_files/872221/crz_power.jpg
Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've installed a KWSC kit on a 2008 fit and the engine bay for the CRZ looks very similar so I would think with a few slight modifications it should bolt on. The A/C line is in the same spot on the Fit kits and that tab needs to be bent down a bit so it doesn't rub on the intake filter.

With that said, even with the high boost setup, the K20 would be vastly superior out of the box and since the engine bay is about the same as a Fit's, Hasport should be able to design a kit to make this happen.

All that is left is a way to control fuel and spark and what to do with all those batteries once the swap is done.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

k20 swap vs SC is kind of a moot discussion. no doubt a k20 would be better ultimately. but thats really not the point. theres always different levels of power, cost and installation that you can achieve. surely adding some boost would help even this 1.5L.

good to hear the install looks similar. i hope kraftwerks is on it.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lets not forget the thing probably has a shitty chassis due to compromises involving integrating the IMA and keeping costs down. it's not going to handle like a crx no matter what you do.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah mcpherson strut front and torsion beam rear = crap
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Tickle-shits

Originally Posted by ED9man
lets not forget the thing probably has a shitty chassis due to compromises involving integrating the IMA and keeping costs down. it's not going to handle like a crx no matter what you do.
Is that a joke?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, it has a **** suspension
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW have you read anything about the CR-Z yet? they designed it with the same/ similar chassis rigidity as the type-r. the suspension was designed to make the car fun to drive... it is stock so it won't be perfect, but with modifications this cr-z will be better then the original in every way (except weight).
Old 01-20-2010, 04:02 AM
Trial User

BTW the Kraftwerks Rotrex supercharger kit is for the GD3 (07-08) Fit, not the 09+ 1.5L shown. As such don't expect the Fit kit to be a direct bolt on as it wasn't designed for the 09+ Fit engine.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, but what's stopping them from making it for the current Fit engine anyway. Its still the same L series.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Guys, give it up...the new crz is designed to be a nice car for single women. 9.6 0-60 times! This is real close to what the off the show room floor crx's did. This thing is going to weigh close to the ep3 and its going to have 40 less hp....like I said....girls car. If you want something to replace your B swapped crx, look into the mini cooper coupe thats coming out this year. 2 seats,175 hp turbo 1.6 leter motor, under 2500 lbs....
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah mcpherson strut front and torsion beam rear = crap
Hell i can deal with the strurt front suspension but the torsion beam rear is just plain stupid. Honda must be taking notes from Nissan sentra rear suspension

Sorry for continuing to take this thread off track, back to SC stuff now!!
Old 01-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like shifty35 said the Kraftwerks kit is probably the best bet. My guess is the Fit and CR-Z have a similar layout. The electronics are going to be the big problem, but Oscar will figure it out eventually.

As soon as I get a hold of one though, I'll be sizing it up for a K. To tell the truth though the market will be very limited for engine swaps for some time.

brian g
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Icon5 Re: Rotrex Supercharger for CR-Z

Let's hope for maybe down the road the CRZ will come with an Si version with a non-hybrid powerplant.

Unfortunate though such low numbers are planned for production, last place I read about it was that only about 15,000 units to be produced for North American sales per year.

At least the L15 motor is here for good! Honda is supplying at least a 10 year contract for racing with the L15 motor!!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by mustclime
Guys, give it up...the new crz is designed to be a nice car for single women. 9.6 0-60 times! This is real close to what the off the show room floor crx's did. This thing is going to weigh close to the ep3 and its going to have 40 less hp....like I said....girls car. If you want something to replace your B swapped crx, look into the mini cooper coupe thats coming out this year. 2 seats,175 hp turbo 1.6 leter motor, under 2500 lbs....
Isn't the Mini coupe going to cost upwards of $30K?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross
Isn't the Mini coupe going to cost upwards of $30K?
I have not read that.....Its my understanding that it will be in line with the cooper and cooper s price wize, the thing with the cooper's is you have to watch the options, you can get a stripped down cooper s for 24 grand or you can spend over 30 grand for all the add ons.....the coupe is supose to be the same way.....just like honda did with the civic and crx.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mustclime
I have not read that.....Its my understanding that it will be in line with the cooper and cooper s price wize, the thing with the cooper's is you have to watch the options, you can get a stripped down cooper s for 24 grand or you can spend over 30 grand for all the add ons.....the coupe is supose to be the same way.....just like honda did with the civic and crx.
Maybe i'm missing something but don't they already come like that, 172/177tq 1.6L turbo 2650lbs maybe because it's canada and we have them before? Unless they're shedding another 150lbs with a new model should be interesting. Options for the mini are expensive because bmw bought them obviously.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rotrex Supercharger for CR-Z