Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/)
-   -   Remove IMA? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/remove-ima-2856941/)

cmdr430 11-02-2010 07:47 AM

Remove IMA?

Is it possible to remove the IMA, and batteries to run the car as just a gas powered vehicle and not a hybrid?

If it is possible, I would assume this would drop quite a bit of weight from the car....

After that has been done, possibly a FIT turbo kit?

Just thinking out loud....

Any thoughts?

Targa250R 11-02-2010 08:02 AM

Re: Remove IMA?

Possible? Certainly. Feasible? No. It would require a fair bit of custom work.

If you want to do something like that, your best bet would just be a complete engine/drivetrain swap.

crx(gator) 11-02-2010 08:59 AM

why wouldnt you want IMA AND turbo?

Allch Chcar 11-02-2010 09:04 AM

The engine is designed to operate without the battery pack but you won't get very far without the motor and the 12volt converter. The motor is a very small pancake motor and the battery pack is a stack of D cells in the back. I'd bet the total weight for the IMA is about the same as the seats.

The exact weights for the entire setup are probably posted somewhere online. Some of the Insight guys have no doubt taken everything out and weighed everything. I believe there was a guy on Ecomodder looking to remove the whole IMA setup but you would be better off looking for a step by step guide to removing the IMA on the Insight board before even considering this. Good luck.

JonnyCoupe 11-04-2010 01:24 AM

The weight for pretty much everything on the IMA system on the Insight Mk2 is 56kg. The CRZ is gonna be the same, if not a little lower due to shorter 3 phase cables.

Source : A2mac1 Auto Reverse.

I basically can see the whole car stripped down into each part with photos and the weight of each one.

civicflow 11-04-2010 03:43 AM

Plus the IMA acts as the starter and alternator for the CRZ, I wouldn't see any reason to remove it. Also your brakes last alot longer with the IMA since it does most of the braking to recharge the battery.

Bwill9886 11-04-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by cmdr430 (Post 43915860)
After that has been done, possibly a FIT turbo kit?

Just thinking out loud....

Considering what Bisimoto just did with their CR-Z, I don't think there is any reason to drop the IMA for a turbo setup.

Sounds like it would mostly cause more problems than it would ever solve.

00falcon 11-04-2010 11:58 PM

interesting... only 56kg eh

anyone know what bisimoto did to beef up the tranny?

liquor assassin 11-05-2010 07:35 PM

if you are going to remove anything just remove the whole motor and stuff a k in there

liquor assassin 11-05-2010 07:40 PM

dont even know id that would be possible but being able to put a k in one of those is going to be on the minds of alot of people