Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Offical k20/k24 swaped insights

Old 05-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Offical k20/k24 swaped insights

Ordered up the dual pump upgrade quick spool kit from automotiveknd.com.

Thinking Hondata is going to be a requirement, that cat efficiency CEL is driving me crazy. Plus then I could toy with traction control and see how much the rear contributes.

Added camber to the front at the knuckle, wow. That really highlights how poorly the rear sticks on the stock torsion beam rear axle.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Speaking of torsion beam, I have a 2016 HRV unit on the way, soon as it gets here I will post a bunch of pics with measurements
Old 05-29-2019, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brian Gillespie mentioned traction control in his insight with 4" tread width and how stable it made the car in his video. I wonder if AWD will make it redundant
Old 05-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now that HRV rear torsion beam is real interesting. Clearance and hubs for rear drive. Hmmmm....

Yeah with the way AWD works the traction control might be redundant. Need a certain amount of slip in the front to get the rear to bite. Not finding much data on the Hondata traction control in an AWD application.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HRV axle under Insight. I can still fudge it a bit lower and forward a bit I just ran out of time. It's about 3/4 inch longer in swing arm length, almost 8" wider hub face to hub face. Compared to an actual HRV this axle is lower than ride height a bit angle wise.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So suspension pickup points are going to need some fabrication? And 8" cut out of the center of the beam.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1 View Post
So suspension pickup points are going to need some fabrication? And 8" cut out of the center of the beam.
Definitely all new suspension pickup points although the are very close to the general vicinity, the angle of the beam on the table would be compressed if it was mounted on the HRV, the level at which the hubs are in the pics would be a bit lower than stock Insight, I "THINK" the arch will clear with the exception of maybe the extremely lowered. I've been by the dealership a few times hoping to catch one on the lift but only FWDs as of late. I'm not very concerned with getting low to the ground but I could see maybe trimming it a bit under the arch and reinforcing above if that's the goal. OEM hubs are $300, Autozone/Moog lists for $250 each but not available. I'll be going Element hub, Rsx disk/caliper and some steel plate. Next week or two I will have a temp bracket made with the axle on the car with at least a rim.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I made an adjustment and got the axle right where it needs to be and made a video.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BongoBennie View Post
I made an adjustment and got the axle right where it needs to be and made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPl83Hu-hi4&t=47s
Very interesting. I did not realize the mounting ears for the rear axle bolted to the body. That should make adapting the mounts easier.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back on topic of K series,

Have ran a 2006 TSX MT ECU from day one. Never terribly happy with the DBW throttle response. Always been soft and laggy.

Today replaced the ECU with a 2007 TSX AT ECU in prep for Hondata. Holy cow! The DBW feels exactly like a cable throttle now, very sharp response! It does now have a rev hang between gears but that actually works to my advantage with the light weight flywheel. Having to learn how to drive this thing all over again.

PCM is very unhappy about not having an automatic transmission to talk to but it does run and drive and seems to behave okay other than cruise control won't work. Will be loading the MT program in when the Hondata arrives.

Poking around the configs for Hondata it looks like the AT did not have throttle smoothing while the MT did. Maybe that is the difference. Maybe if I am feeling frisky I will pull the ECU from the 2004 AT I have and put it in the Insight and see if I get the same results.

Anyway, having throttle response makes this thing soooo much more lively to drive.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The most common complaint with factory TSXs is the DBW throttle delay. In the past, the only solution was an 03-05 Accord or RSX cable throttle body, Accord ECU, a different manifold and customizable ECU. You'd lose cruise, VSA and have rev fluctuations. I want to say a simple reflash from Kpro/Ktuner solves most of the issue now without other complications.

What was the purpose of the delay anyway? Lessens driveline shock?

Mak
Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't about to give up cruise control on a daily for some throttle response so I lived with it. But seems I can have my cake and eat it! Also if we are to believe those Australian's DBW is superior, no idle air valves and you can do fun stuff like launch control, flat shift, traction control, and change throttle response with changing the response curve.

With this AT PCM before Hondata the throttle responds so quickly you can get that intake bark when you stab the throttle just like a cable throttle.

Yes, probably driveline shock. Also to make the car feel more like a luxury vehicle. Somewhat weak transmission in a rather heavy car with a decent amount of torque, would make sense they would program in some softness.