Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/)
-   -   New to honda but considering cr-z (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/new-honda-but-considering-cr-z-2875330/)

quikstang03mach 12-19-2010 12:27 PM

New to honda but considering cr-z

Hey gang,
I am starting a new job with a 120mile round trip commute (south jersey to philly)and looking to purchase a commuter car. The CR-Z is pretty sporting looking and gets good MPGs.
First off, im totally new to honda as I have owned mustangs for the past 10 years. Secondly, I have no experience with CVT transmissions and hybrid motors.

So my question to you is what are your thoughts on this new model? fit/finish, functionality, ride, etc.
Is there any special maintence that needs to be performed on the CVT or hybrid engine? if so, what? any idea how long the battery will last?

Im really torn between the sportyness and MPG of the CR-Z and the convential focus/fiesta (thats offering 60month 0% financing).

Thank you!

vg_Ace 12-19-2010 06:14 PM

Re: New to honda but considering cr-z

I don't think anybody can actually tell you how long that battery will last because it has never been driven a long time in that vehicle(they are brand new and not road tested). I have heard horror stories of the 1st Gen Insight batteries going out and the owners had to shell out thousands to get a new one, then the next one goes out too.

as for the mpgs, the HCH will get you better mpgs but you would still have the problem of that possible battery replacement.

personally I own a 91 CRX HF which has netted me ~55 mpg on the freeway and my highest was 64.1 mpgs. All on a SOHC with no batteries.

Blue-Civic-Hybrid 12-19-2010 08:52 PM

It's all up to you really and with the sweet deal that Ford is offering on the new Focus/Fiesta, that would be hard to turn down.

Run the numbers on your savings on the base price with the Focus versus the CRZ and I think you will see that the financing, lower price, and your return on gas mileage that the Ford should/might win out over the CRZ. Also factor in insurance costs into this equation.

One big bonus of the hybrids here in California is that they can use the carpool/HOV lanes starting in 2011 with a special sticker. This means even though you are the only one in the car, you can jump into the car pool lanes by yourself, easing your commute. Check your local area and see if this applies.

Good luck in your decision.

FormulaJDM 12-22-2010 12:06 PM

I would wait 19 days to see what this looks like.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/veloster/

quikstang03mach 12-22-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by FormulaJDM (Post 44277711)
I would wait 19 days to see what this looks like.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2011/veloster/

An electric car? do you know anything about it?

FormulaJDM 12-22-2010 12:21 PM

Not electric or a hybrid, but will be rated at 40mpg.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...rid-setup.html

Google " Veloster" for more info.

quikstang03mach 12-22-2010 12:24 PM

I appreciate everyones input.

I have decided against a hybrid due to the battery issues as I will be putting on a lot of miles and think the conventional gas engine will be the best bet.

The hyundai elantra and ford fiesta seem to be my front runners as they can be had for <20k with heated leather seats, moon roof and stereo upgrade.

I dont know if you have seen/heard of the 2012 focus but that seems amazing if I could hold out a year.

m_shake 12-22-2010 12:30 PM

I would get the 6mt if your gonna rip on it at all, just for durability and simplicity. IMA battery is +$2600...before labor.

spoonfedcrx 12-22-2010 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by quikstang03mach (Post 44277835)
I appreciate everyones input.

I have decided against a hybrid due to the battery issues as I will be putting on a lot of miles and think the conventional gas engine will be the best bet.

The hyundai elantra and ford fiesta seem to be my front runners as they can be had for <20k with heated leather seats, moon roof and stereo upgrade.

I dont know if you have seen/heard of the 2012 focus but that seems amazing if I could hold out a year.

FWIW if that even matters when I was working as a Honda tech I replaced batteries on one Insight and along with a handful of others in the shop not one customer paid anything out of pocket. Even this old guy with 180k on his car.

m_shake 12-22-2010 04:06 PM

Yea we do warranty a huge amount of ima batteries, but if for some reason they deny it, it's gonna suck.

vg_Ace 12-22-2010 08:38 PM

I own a 2005 Kia Spectra 5 and it along with Hyundai offer the 10 yr 100K mile warranty. So if you are thinking of getting the hyundai elentra or accent then those would be good buys. Many people think Hyundai and Kias are crap but I know many people with over 200K miles on their engines with no problems.

But why wouldn't you just buy a used Honda? They get exceptional mileage.

m_shake 12-22-2010 09:03 PM

haha i don't got much against hyundai but alot against the cr-z lol

SpoonREVS 12-24-2010 01:41 PM

CRZ is fun to drive you get alot of atention over 90mph its not stable its kind of scary specialy passing a pot hole. and after 120mph is really bad.

about the mileage isnt that great a 96-00 civic gets better mpg then the crz and i have confirm it more then a few times.

I havent had any problems with the car yet. everything been working great. sport mode is fun to feel the little push nothing big but cool.

the battery i havent had any problems with it havent had any problems and my car has 10,000 miles already and only 2 months of owning it

Marrk 12-26-2010 07:02 PM

I was going to start a thread, but I'll post my comment here.

The CR-Z looks cool. Much cooler in person than in any picture. Every time I see one on the road, which is not often, my head snaps in that direction.

I look forward to learning more about this car. My hope is that it turns out to be a great car, but that may be asking a lot.

susuking 12-26-2010 10:08 PM

its not a bad car, yes... performance wise, there are better options, and the same goes for being a hybrid, a prius will probably kill it in the mileage.

the crz is a car that I can toss around when I feel like it by switching it to sport mode give me a lot of fun for a daily driver.
Not to mention the great mileage in econ mode, my first tank I get around 45MPG by staying 70% freeway mileage and staying in econ mode driving around 70mph.
Yes yes,,,, acceleration sucks in econ mode and it felt like an insight, but I commute 120miles a day. coming from a G35 with 26mpg, this is a great change for me being able to change the mood of driving when I felt like it.

Btw, yes, its listed as 31mpg city/39mpg freeway, but that's for normal mode, switching it to econ mode and staying at 70-75mph will get you to 45mpg easily.
As for the battery, I haven't gain enough mileage to see what's gonna happen or even speculate. All I can do it just hope that my extended warranty will take care of it.

CRX_RR 12-31-2010 07:31 PM

i love honda but if i were you. you should look into the 2010 prius instead. there just so much better.

Ravage70 01-02-2011 06:58 AM

Long commutes = diesel

MikeyZ33 01-18-2011 04:37 PM

Get the prius. you'll save a lot more on gas if thats what you're aiming for.

WanganRunner 01-19-2011 05:56 PM

Honestly, as much as I like the CR-Z, you can get a new Mazda 2 for like $15k and it'll probably be more fun to drive and it'll definitely get better mileage.