Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

New Ford Focus is CRZ?Z?Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New Ford Focus is CRZ?Z?Z

Originally Posted by bad-monkey
torsion beam rear
You really seem to dislike a suspension design that leaves more room for trunk space and crumple zones, both of which are highly desired commodities in small cars...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
You really seem to dislike a suspension design that leaves more room for trunk space and crumple zones, both of which are highly desired commodities in small cars...
in a true econobox, i wouldn't be so critical of it. after all, you're right, trunk space and safety matter in the economy car class. why did they sacrifice suspension geometry for trunk space in a 2-dr, 2 seater?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bad-monkey
in a true econobox, i wouldn't be so critical of it. after all, you're right, trunk space and safety matter in the economy car class. why did they sacrifice suspension geometry for trunk space in a 2-dr, 2 seater?
Because not racecar.

If you want no compromises, the Miata is available for purchase new (2 door, 2 seater, double wishbones). If you'll consider a hybrid, compromise is already part of the decision.

Looking back, the first CRX had a panhard rod locating the dead axle rear suspension, and torsion bars up front for springs. 2 seats does not a sportscar make, it can also be the base formula for an economical commuter (1st gen Insight, Geo Metro convertable, "God's chariot", etc...).

Oh, and that said, I'd still consider a torsion beam rear suspension FWD car for track use. Toe out on the outside tire under roll is a common "issue" for such suspension, which sounds like a nice change of pace from what my "multi-link pretending to be double wishbones" Integra rear suspension does (which is toe in when I want out under bump, and out when I want in under droop). Plenty of fast VW Golfs have made a torsion beam work...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
Because not racecar.

If you want no compromises, the Miata is available for purchase new (2 door, 2 seater, double wishbones). If you'll consider a hybrid, compromise is already part of the decision.

Looking back, the first CRX had a panhard rod locating the dead axle rear suspension, and torsion bars up front for springs. 2 seats does not a sportscar make, it can also be the base formula for an economical commuter (1st gen Insight, Geo Metro convertable, "God's chariot", etc...).

Oh, and that said, I'd still consider a torsion beam rear suspension FWD car for track use. Toe out on the outside tire under roll is a common "issue" for such suspension, which sounds like a nice change of pace from what my "multi-link pretending to be double wishbones" Integra rear suspension does (which is toe in when I want out under bump, and out when I want in under droop). Plenty of fast VW Golfs have made a torsion beam work...
1st gen CRX also weighed, what, 2100 lbs curb? Fast VW golfs made a torsion beam work because the MKI and MKII golfs were also featherweight cars without a lot of horsepower. spring the hell out of the MKII's and chalk up the discomfort and rattling to "VW" Charm. MKIII and MKIV golfs, which still used the torsion beam rears were awful handling cars with regressive dynamic camber curves and funky bump-steer issues that never handled anywhere near as nice as the civics/tegs of yore.

in the end, how bad it is depends on the individual design--and you can minimize the effects of toe change or buy camber plates or throw a bunch of shine on a turd--but let's not lie to ourselves and say that this suspension design is as capable of the semi-trailing arms or the double wishbones that made it into the rear of "better" hondas.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25

look similar????
You, sir, are a fool.

Fist of all, that is a picture of a FORD FIESTA, which is based upon the Mazda2. Not a Focus.

Second, get off the meth. The CRZ is a design unique to Honda and Honda alone. How could you even think the Fiesta is related to it?

Ford and Mazda have been partners for quite a while, and there are numerous Ford's that are Mazda based. In fact, Ford has used every evolution of the Mazda G platform since 1983.

The Mazda6: Ford continues to use the Mazda's G-series platform for the basis of a number of its CD3 platform coded vehicles, including the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ, Lincoln MKX, and a range of SUVs and minivans.

The CX-9 is built on the Mazda CD3 Platform shared with the Ford Edge.

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25
You guys crack me up... Ya hate Ford? lol why? The make the best american cars.
I like Ford. The new Focus is actually pretty nice. I just think you are a dumbass for making this thread.