Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

My new daily 2000 Honda Insight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: My new daily 2000 Honda Insight.

Front bump stops were cut down to about 1/3'rd of the original length. The rears were unbolted and set aside to add travel. The only thing it really needs is better shocks in the rear. Other then that I'm extatic with it's handling now. Just gotta get some more power in it. Also I realigned it using some toe plates I built and after a few little tweaks got the wheel perfectly straight and added 1/8" of toe in. Not sure on the angles of the suspension geometry. Haven't checked.

as for the axles I was actually just looking into that as it seems to be the big hurdle in my head moving forward with the swap. I was googling and the crx front track width is a little over 1" wider so I might be able to run crx hf axles if the insights don't fit the d series trans. I still need to finish putting the head back together, same with the trans after replacing the input shaft bearing and welding the pin in for the spider gears. I fitted a phantom grip lsd in it and all the gears, synchros and sliders look to be in great shape. I'm planning on putting the swap in na and working out any kinks then building the turbo setup for it probably next winter. I think even 120whp would be a blast in this car how it sits now. Plus it would be nice to tune it and make it run how I want it to vs the bs limp mode it's been stuck in.

I did however notice for the axle length on driveshaft shop they list the k swap axles for eg/dc and insight all in one as if they all use the same axle length which is good news for me. I can get crx hf axles probably for free from my buddy at ef parts.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 451 Likes on 417 Posts

Axle lengths are really close to off the shelf stuff. I think I had DC Integra shafts in my K swap for test fitting. One side probably would have worked and I think the other side was 1/2" too long.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so after much much deliberation I decided to do an odd build that kind of went against the grain. I have been working on a z6 block with a d17a1 crank, rods and pistons. It will be 76mm by 94.4mm totalling 1712 cc's. I have finished porting the y8 head as well as started porting a z6 head I got for free. The block will be milled .030" to raise the compression to about 11 to 1. Redline cam and cranks down in Albany will be regrinding my z6 camshaft for me and I'm hoping they will be able to make the primary intake lobes smalll and have a large aggressive vtec lobe to help maintain fuel economy. I also got a cx Tranny for free and I will be running that to start with and swap it out for the y8 if I end up hating the long gears. I also got a neptune demon rtp today for tuning a customers car so that will be fun to mess with. I haven't tuned anything on neptune since every time I tried to download the software it wouldn't work for me or the link was not found. Hp goals are 145/120tq which I think is achievable and I would like to be able to pull 50mpg freeway with the car since I use it allot for doing mobile tuning. I've really fallen in love with the cars handeling and I'm excited to have more torque to pull through corners. I decided against the turbo setup for now because I know it's easy to get power greedy and before I know it the car will just end up another drag car due to the rediculous achievable power to weight ratios it can have. I would like to auto cross the car once the swap is in. Dropping the block off at the machine shop to get decked, bored and honed for the oversized pistons. Also started porting my y8 intake manifold and sized it for a 60mm b series throttle body.

I know all motor d series seems a bit counter productive but a fast na single cam is impressive to me. Idk why but I like the challenge of taking pretty much the turd of Honda motors and doing something fun with it.

I also got to run my awd crx at woodburn drags last weekend. Weather was perfect and I had a blast. Ran 11.9 on street tires all 3 passes. I was spinning pretty hard first and second, not sure if was just from pier with all season tires or if my viscous coupler is starting to not like me lol.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWESOME!! I really want to see a D sight, I bet it will be a potent combo
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 451 Likes on 417 Posts

What is with that header? Is that one of those make my Honda sound like it has a dead cylinder like a Subaru headers?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's an unequal length header. I don't like subarus but I had tuned the customers car that this header came off of. Stock d15b7 and it used considerably more fuel at wideopen then a few other d15b7's that I had tuned and it definitely pulled harder then the others. I also have a dc sports header I can try if this one doesn't work out or even just swap them to do a back to back experiment.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Started on my d series swap. First pic is crx hf axles next to insight axles. They are just about identical in length, share the same putter spline to the hub and should be a plug and play solution without having to change out the hubs. I'll post some detailed pics of the mounts once I get cracking on them. As for wiring it was pretty simple for the most part, I'm using a 2000 civic ex harness, the cool thing was the obd2b ecu plug a is almost identical besides pin a15 for the fuel pump relay needs to be moved to a16. There's a few connections from the stock insight harness that goes to the chassis harness, most of the wires needed were fairly easy to identify, wires like starter solenoid, ign pwr, ground, reverse lights and so on.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It’s up and running pretty well. Had a few issues and still have a few kinks to workout. It’s considerably faster then one of my buddies k20a3 swapped ef hatches lol.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is now for sale for anyone who’s interested. Located in Salem Oregon. It makes a great daily driver/ auto cross car. Just moving onto new projects and need to free up space.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/vehicl...t-pnw-3347662/
Old 07-24-2020, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever take it to the track? I would love to see what that N/A beast could run in the quarter! I just finished my D-sight turbo setup in mine, but on a stock Z6 with 4.5psi, yours is probably still quicker, lol.

Also, what did you figure out with your axles? I ended up using axles for an 84 Civic, they are about an inch shorter on each side than the CRX HF axles.