Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

My new daily 2000 Honda Insight.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Default My new daily 2000 Honda Insight.

After searching for about a month I was able to come across this 2000 Honda Insight, 5 speed manual with ac and cruise control. I was able to pick it up for pretty cheap ($1400) due to a non charging ima battery. It has a 174k miles and overall is in pretty good shape. Driving my Escalade at an average of 16mpg over 20k miles this last year has killed my wallet. This car should pay for itself in savings in about 6 months. I travel all over oregon to do mobile tuning as well as I enjoy the outdoors allot, hiking, camping and just taking road trips for fun. Due to bad ima battery it was not charging the 12v battery so I found a write up online about cutting two wires for the dc-dc converter and sure enough that fixed it enough to be able to drive and charge. I plan on removing the ima battery, bcm and mcm to help reduce unnecessary weight as I just plan on using the car on the gas engine. I would love to build a lto battery pack down the road but that will depend on total price of the battery conversion. Other option would be a k20 swap with an accord 5 speed but that will be down the road as well. For now I'm enjoying the 47mpg in town in traffic in winter. I've been able to pull mid 70s on the freeway as well.

This car will remain mostly stock besides a few little things. It's getting all mb quart speakers and a single 10" powered sub. I have added a partial radiator block off for winter and was lucky that the previous owner also had purchased a few parts from Honda that were missing/ broken including one of the front splats for the driver side as well as a trunk latch assembly.

So far I've been very impressed with the handling of this car. It really is super fun to drive. It could definitely use a bit more power especially down low since the ima is no longer working but it's still enjoyable to try to pull the most mpg out of the car.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Town Crier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My new daily 2000 Honda Insight.

Congrats! How do the shifter and clutch feel?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Both feel great. The tranny seems to have either a bad input shaft or bad main shaft bearing so I plan to replace that down the road and throw in new 1st gear synchros but other then that it shifts great. Just deleted the rear wiper arm and motor on the car, never been a big fan of rear wipers on hatch backs. Also aired the tires up to 60psi from 32/38 that they were at and that made a huge difference in how the car feels. It feels lighter and more responsive and I'm sure I will pick up some more fuel efficiency from it as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Town Crier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great ride. Thanks a lot for sharing
Old 12-13-2018, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just pulled the ima battery today to relieve the car of the excess dead weight. It tested at 0 volts at the terminals. I'm gonna see if I can find someone local who has a grid charger and see if it's save able if not I'll see if anyone wants to buy the pack to mod or use the case. The car feels a good bit better with out the pack now.

Also going to build a small spoiler for the rear hatch ill be posting pictures when it's done.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After a couple weeks of driving it I went through my first tank of gas at 440.3miles from 9.512 gallons. Some insight owners consider this poor fuel economy but honestly it very happy with the car. Allot of this driving was in town, in traffic and done in short trips. The only gripe I have is the lack of power the car has especially from 1k-2.5k rpms. It feels pretty dead down low.

ive been brain storming on what engine to put in it thinking first I'd like to go k series like quite a few others have but just last night a lightbulb in my head went off, why not just put a really basic turbo d series in it. The insight hubs appear to be the same sized splines as crx hf knuckles are. The hardest part would be the mounts which really shouldn't be that bad and the cool thing is once it's setup for d series I could easily swap a b series into it if I felt the need too. I can find complete d series swaps for about 200 local, as for the wiring I would run a ek engine harness 96-98 or 99-00 and I would only have to run a few wires (just did an engine harness this way on my crx drag car. I'm planning on a d16z6 or d16y8 with a evo 8 16g turbo on it. I believe I could easily make 200-220whp reliably and maintain pretty decent fuel economy. That much power would make a car this light capable of 12 second passes all day long which is plenty for a little daily.

I weighed my car last night after removing the ima battery. It was 1750 without me in it and about a 1/4 tank of fuel. With me it was 1950 and I'm 175lbs so it's probably closer to 1775lbs. I really enjoy this car but even a stock z6 or y8 would be a huge upgrade in terms of power output. I plan on trying to source a dx tranny, shouldn't be very hard. Most people around here sell d series for next to nothing. Interested in people's feedback. I Could tune the car my self as that's what I've been doing for a living since 2010 and I know I could lean out cruising as well as most areas of light throttle to help with fuel economy.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 450 Likes on 416 Posts

K24 from an Accord or the like is fairly cheap.

What I don't like about the D/B swap is you are going backwards in technology and the engine is the wrong way around.

What about an R18 out of Civic or an L15 out of a Fit?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Backwards in technology but it will be very simplified platform that I know very well. What appeals to me is the ease of replacement parts, potential to make power and massive aftermarket support. Only way I would want to go k series is with kpro and that alone would cost more then a full healthy d series swap. Just because it's older doesn't mean it can't make power as well as fuel economy. Plus the d series complete swap will be very equal in weight to the current engine and ima stuff and keeping the cars weight down is a big priority for me.

as for the engine being the wrong way around, I don't see why that particularly matters to be honest. The battery will have to be moved regaurdless and custom mounts will be made either way. I don't see anything that would really cause clearance issues on a d16z6 or d16y8. Those engines are very compact and should fit in without issue. I see it as more of building a more modern crx that has creature comforts and safety features but still in the same light weight package that a gutted crx would provide.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have done my share of B and D stuff and while they are fantastic engines they have no chance of making broad power like the newer stuff with iVTEC. So much mid range is made on the modern stuff, makes for a way better street car.

Plus engine swaps in the same generation are much easier to integrate.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

While that's true for naturally aspirated builds I have to slightly disagree when it comes to forced inductions potential. I used to have a ls turbo eg hatch that made 314whp with 280tq and had peak torque from about 3800-6500. I know single cams aren't known for having gobs of low end torque but it's also going to be pushing a really light car in the first place. K series are great, I'm not trying to knock them but cost vs benifit ratio what I want this car to do I think a d series will be great for it. I will get it up and running naturally aspirated firstand check to see what I can get for mileage out of it before turboing it. Odds are I will go with fairly small injectors that atomize well. I had a ef sedan with a turbo mini me on dsm 390cc auto injectors that was able to pull 44.6mpg from a tank with a si tranny and quite a few pulls done as well. It wasn't fast but it was fun to drive and best of all I didn't have to down shift to 3rd gear on large hills like I do with this 3 banger lol.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it would still be cool and better than the lifeless 3 cylinder. Engine is such a dog without IMA assist. I could only handle that for about 2 months before it was K24 time.

What about a D15Z1 or D15Y5? Stay with the fuel economy theme and still pick up a bunch of power. I did not mind the D15Z1 in my hatch for a daily. Was pulling 45mpg without trying in a fully loaded EG Si shell. Probably a good 1000lbs heaver than the Insight.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't be opposed to either. The z1 motors are pretty funny when you tune them on a chipped p28 the cross over to vtec sounds just like a b series lol, without going anywhere. And yeah this thing is a turd lol. But my awd crx should be up and running soon and I hope to daily that a little and enjoy it.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I picked up a y8 tranny, d16a6 Bottom end and d16y8 head for a total of $100. After cleaning the parts I started thinking and I think you are right ryan, I am going to try to trade the y8 trans for a cx/vx trans and look for a z1 or y5 head and hopefully trade my y8 head for it. Once my awd crx is up and running I'll rebuild the a6 with just new rings and bearings and make sure everything is good to go in it as I source the proper head and tranny.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That will be fun!

Been swapping between my K24 Insight and TSX. You know what is a real bummer about the K swap? There is really no coasting in gear even with the taller 4.4 final drive. At 70 in 6th when you left off the throttle is like throwing out an anchor with all the compression and no weight. Stock TSX will coast for just about ever in gear but also 5 speed autotragic. D series with the VX/CX trans will probably coast in gear as well as a stock Insight.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I actually had a dream about this the other night after reading about pumping losses. That's when I decided to try to find a vx/cx trans.

Last tank I got 517 miles on 9.44 gallons, this was mostly city with a trip to Eugene and back. 54.6mpg on the ice engine only in winter and traffic and it seems to improve each time I drive it because I'm learning how to drive the car better each day.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Picked up a d16a6 bottom end, d16y8 head and y8 tranny for $100 total. Been working on the head, ported the exhaust and will be polishing them to reduce any carbon build up. I also dimpled the intake ports to hope to atomize fuel better and did a little blending on the port to valve seat area. Not looking for max flow out of it just hoping to pick up what ever easy power there is to be had from some time with my tools. I plan to have the cam reground so where each right hand side valve has about half as much lift until vtec further aiding the swirl effect that the y8 ports already have. Pretty positive 45mpg in town will be easy to achieve even beating on it from time to time.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you started thinking about exhaust? The 2.25" mangnaflow muffler, resonator, and cat setup is really starting to drive me bonkers especially with cruise control now working. The aluminum body and short wheelbase put the muffler practically right by your head.

You going to send that head off for new guides and a valve job? Those seats are looking tired.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have some exhaust that came off a customers Integra that has 3 inline resonators on it I will use for the bulk of it. Also the turbo will quiet it up a good amount.

As for the head ill just relap the valves, verify that they are all sealing and do new stem seals. It's not worth the money to put new guides and seats into it. I've fixed much worse seats that that by lapping valves plenty of times.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbos are the best mufflers! I should look into adding a turbo.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tore my y8 transmission down to inspect it. I bought it being told the gears were all good but it made bearing noise. I found that only the input shaft bearing needs replaced which I figured right off the bat. I also installed a phantom grip lsd, first time using one so I will definitely give an unbiased review of it once the swap is in. I also steam cleaned the transmission case, it was pretty gross before, I should have taken a before pic. I decided that I wanted to keep the shorter gearing because I do a lot of in town driving and wanted the car to be more fun. I calculated out the difference in 45mpg vs 80 mpg and going from regular to premium and it looks like about an extra $10 a week, I can live with that, anything will be better then this 3 cylinder running in the somewhat limp mode you get from deleting the battery without running an audrino.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Arduino mod is still limp mode just no IMA lights on the dash. Might even be worse with the idle hunting up and down 200rpms ALL THE TIME! Like a D series with a vacuum leak. Plus the 12v stops charging after passing 4k rpm and takes something like 60 seconds to return all the while the lights are dim and the battery light is on.

I put a phantom grip in a ZETEC powered MKII Cortina. Meh, they live up the the name, the function is phantom most of the time. Might be better on the Insight platform? The K series puts the power down pretty good with an open diff and no weight to accelerate.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I figured for $30 it was worth a try. If it doesn't do anything I'm out $30 I guess.

phantom grip, works so good you'll never even know it's there, lol.

. And yes the insights limp mode and 4K battery lights are two of the big reasons why I wanna put a different motor in it. I know just being able to tune my a6/y8 it will be 100x more responsive and just much more of a joy to drive. This 3 cylinder wouldn't be so bad if it ran to its potential but it's definitely handicapped and it's getting old.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Been a bit since I've done anything to the Insight. Today I lowered it, I got a set of tien lowering springs from a newer Hyundai Genesis and ended up using the rear springs cut in half for the front and rear. Pretty happy with how it sits, the rear spring rate is a bit more then the old shocks can handle. I built some shock extenders so the rear struts are at full extension when the coil springs are just barely touching top and bottom spring perches. Unfortunately I broke the driver side outter tie rod when tightening it too much with my impact on reassembly. New one will be in tomorrow morning so no big deal. Happy it broke when I was putting it back together as it was more then likely already weak.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much travel do you have to the bumps? And what does that front control arm angle look like?

At factory height they are just about touching the bump stop in the front and the control arm is parallel to the ground. Not ideal. I was looking at fixing the travel issue with a Koni insert but gave up going lower when the geometry was looking like a turd.

Tie rod joints are a dainty 32 lbs/ft.

Ball joints are a mere 40-47 lbs/ft

Knuckle to strut bolts are just 72.3 lbs/ft

And if you got the sway bar links apart those are 22 lbs/ft

Small hardware on a light car

Also that control arm is probably seized on the adjusting bolt. Mine ended up with new arms on both sides after one side extracted the threads with the bolt.

Last edited by Ryanthegreat1; 02-14-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're still looking to go D series I'll share this with you...... Im swapping in an L15 from the 08 fit. Stock Insight axles will plug right into the Fit trans (as well as the trans mount and shift linkage, it's all the same). The LSD diff upgrade for the Fit is the same as D series. That means you SHOULD be able to swap the stock axles left to right and the should fit the D trans. I'm 99% sure of this but do check. Also the stock brake pads are the same as 86 Civic Si so many are available.

Quick Reply: My new daily 2000 Honda Insight.