Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

KR-Z on the Cover of Honda Tuning Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: KR-Z on the Cover of Honda Tuning Magazine

why dont I have 33k sitting in a bag in the closet.... sick swap if only I was a baller
Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oldB18EF
why dont I have 33k sitting in a bag in the closet.... sick swap if only I was a baller
QFT
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

$30K buys it , We will also consider a CRZ for a trade.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bummer nobody forked up the cash.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

probably wont sell, trying to get true amount for a modified car just doesn't happen in my opinion.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a fair amount and it will sell, but not by a typical Civic owner.I can't describe how well it drives, the first person that drives will buy it I'm sure.
Thanks for the positive thoughts.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill be the first one to recognize hard work that goes along with something like this build, and you have my respect for sure--- because I would be one of the few that this car appeals to. Its right up my alley.

My opinion on price is as follows:

Buying a stock CR-Z comes with a warranty, and knowing that there are a substantial amount of cars that are built just like it so that if there is a problem, and for some reason it isnt covered (whether electrical, mechanical, or suspension) they can take it anywhere and have just anybody work on it just like with any other stock motor car. Furthermore, there is a guarentee and a company to hold responsible if for some reason in an accident it doesnt hold up, whether for your passengers or for those around you. There is a value associated with that, that is removed with the intense permanant modification of the car.

Furthermore, The car costs 22k stock, and regardless of whether or not the customer keeps the parts, they are not nearly as valuable outside of the car. The car if produced by honda would likely not be that high. Additionally you put miles on the car which inherently loses value.

While I agree that the overall cost to put the car together would raise its value, this car is no different then a lot of the other projects i have seen where thousands are invested only to take a loss a short time/milage later. If someone buys the car for 30k that is more power to you, and again i will state I understand why you are asking that much money.... but i would put the true value of this car somewhere in the range of 20-22.

Other then overall boredom on a night where my roommates are all crammed in the living room watching jersey shore there is no reason for me to post this info other then to share my opinion on a public board. That's all i have to say about that.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I WANT ONE
Old 03-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wantttttt
Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Street EG I respect your opinion and the fact you can express it without using the Slang that is continuing to define the Honda crowd.

A true value is based on what something would sell for. Building/Modifying cars is my passion and I'm lucky it's also my business. I can tell you we have closer to 40K invested in the KR-Z plus hundreds of labor hours ( Some of it been the first one).But of course been a business owned car ( and a tax write off)we're not trying to profit from it.
I myself love the body styling of the car but I cannot pretend it's fun to drive with 122hp, nor does the EPA rated 37mpg make up for it been slow.Unless Honda actually produces a K series CR-Z the only option is to swap in your own engine or pay to have it installed.
I have put around 900 miles on it and I can tell you it's now a FUN car, it's not fast with only 219whp because of it's weight but it drives like it was factory built 100%.There's still lots of potential with it having a much larger capacity radiator, better clutch, stronger axles , stiffer suspension,and a better wheel and tire package it wouldn't take much to make it "Stupid fast".
The folks that have drive it so far have given it major props, I can say in all confidence the new owner will not be disappointed.
Thanks for reading.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how's the handling? i guess it would be similar to a stock motor CRZ with aftermarket suspension, but seems like with a real motor you could actually get it going fast enough to notice how the suspension reacts at track out, or get it going fast enough so there's enough corner speed to notice if the torsion beam is getting its *** kicked.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have to ask LHT (CRVRX) you advertise that you get pretty high gas mileage with the k motor in the crz and insight you have built. I expect that it is higher than the rsx or civics with the same engine. Is weight the biggest contributing factor in the improved fuel economy or are there some modifications being done to make the engines more fuel efficient?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a boner!

----how is it possible that the K20 swap gets better MPG then the original hybrid system. 37mpg to 42mpg.

but seem like a waste tossing out a brand new hybrid system.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sky9
i got a boner!

----how is it possible that the K20 swap gets better MPG then the original hybrid system. 37mpg to 42mpg.

but seem like a waste tossing out a brand new hybrid system.
I'm thinking 'cause the motor doesn't need to try as hard to actually get the car going. Whereas the ol 'underpowerd' hybrid motor is just enough to lug the car around.

Just a guess
Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by StreetEG
Ill be the first one to recognize hard work that goes along with something like this build, and you have my respect for sure--- because I would be one of the few that this car appeals to. Its right up my alley.

My opinion on price is as follows:

Buying a stock CR-Z comes with a warranty, and knowing that there are a substantial amount of cars that are built just like it so that if there is a problem, and for some reason it isnt covered (whether electrical, mechanical, or suspension) they can take it anywhere and have just anybody work on it just like with any other stock motor car. Furthermore, there is a guarentee and a company to hold responsible if for some reason in an accident it doesnt hold up, whether for your passengers or for those around you. There is a value associated with that, that is removed with the intense permanant modification of the car.

Furthermore, The car costs 22k stock, and regardless of whether or not the customer keeps the parts, they are not nearly as valuable outside of the car. The car if produced by honda would likely not be that high. Additionally you put miles on the car which inherently loses value.

While I agree that the overall cost to put the car together would raise its value, this car is no different then a lot of the other projects i have seen where thousands are invested only to take a loss a short time/milage later. If someone buys the car for 30k that is more power to you, and again i will state I understand why you are asking that much money.... but i would put the true value of this car somewhere in the range of 20-22.

Other then overall boredom on a night where my roommates are all crammed in the living room watching jersey shore there is no reason for me to post this info other then to share my opinion on a public board. That's all i have to say about that.

Lmao ....you sir ...are my idol.....and i feel your suffering
Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had been waiting for this swap to happen. I was disappointed when this car came out with no K option. Props to you. Car looks amazing.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I WANT!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats John
Old 04-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

KR-Z
Old 04-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That CR-Z is awesome. Wish I could by it,m it would go great with my soon to be K24 Fit.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been driving the KR-Z almost everyday and I realy like it, If Honda was to offer this car it would spike another tuner car. I really think it would.
I love driving it but we have plans for the next build. Anyone intersted it the KR-Z ,I have a brand new supercharger kit waiting to climb into the engine bay....

Infact, Any CR-Z folks want to come and see it, I will let you test drive it so you can compare the diffence. No test pilots, or dreamers but CR-Z owners only.

The gas milage is mainly in the tuning, the K20 is happy to run very lean (18 to 1 AF)during light throttle and the CR-Z is pretty aerodynamic which also helps. This runs a stainless cat so the high EGTs due to lean mixture doesn't hurt it.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The KRZ is fantastic! I was just wondering, do you still happen to have the stock CRZ engine and IMA laying around? Any plans for that?

The reason I ask is I am wondering if that would be a feasible/affordable swap into my 2000 Insight. With the amount of CRZ's on the road in the future, I'm hoping this will help my Insight live a little longer with a boost in power and a brand new IMA system with lithium ion batteries.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Baller!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd stop by and drive it but I'm not a CR-Z owner

Waiting for Honda's higher performance CR-Z or an FT-86/FR-S/whatever it's called this week.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Trial User

...thanks for the info!

Last edited by barbara-k; 05-14-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply: KR-Z on the Cover of Honda Tuning Magazine