Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Insight or hybrid technical swap and upgrade question

Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insight or hybrid technical swap and upgrade question

Looking to put an insight IMA setup in my CRX, battery, Motor, electronics et-al' Also being stuffed into the engine bay is a much desired turbo B16A round about 250HP

Reason being, I like going fast (and.... who dosen't?), power on tap, and still have the ability to get 40+mpg while just cruzing along at freeway speeds or just putzing around town. Like my current CRX d15b does with a whoppin' 63hp. Sure, I like the MPG, but dag nubbit, I can't seem to get there fast enough....

I love the styling of the new CRZ, but in my opinion lacks the true power I was expecting from a "sports hybrid". Just looking to build a car that beats the snot out of the CRZ with raw power, handling and awesome mileage for less than 1/2 the price.

So back to the main question:
Is mating a insight IMA motor with a turbo'd B16A and tall geared transmission possible, has anybody done it or thought about it, wrote about it?

I've searched the net quite a bit but can't find anything, of course I'm not finished searching the whole www yet. It should take me like another 1,473,320.55 days to finish searching the www
Old 11-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Insight or hybrid technical swap and upgrade question

No, at this point in time that is nowhere close to being possible, and it probably will never be. It serves absolutely no purpose as there are too many better things that could be done.

First, if you want an IMA powertrain from a CR-Z, buy a CR-Z. That's the only place you'll get that, and it's only useful in the CR-Z itself. Forget about swapping that into anything, too expensive, too useless of a concept in another chassis.

The IMA setup won't bolt up to anything else, it just doesn't, especially not a B16. The only thing remotely close is a Honda Fit because the CR-Z engine is based on it. Before somebody thinks of saying, "Oh maybe, it could be made to work in a Fit" Honda is probably working on a Hybrid Fit, I think it's been rumored or was it?

If you have a CR-X there are plenty of doable swaps, stick to those!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Trial User

I know I'm dreaming, but.....even with a skeptical outlook, it would be a cool setup, huh?

I'm sure with enough money thrown at it, anything is possible!
Maybe a couple years down the road....I'll be the first.....unless of course someone else has had this idea and actually will do something about it before I do.

I'll let you all know how it goes.................................ok, yep.....Still thinking about it!
aaaaaand, this thought of mine ain't going away all by itself.

It's gotta be possible, they say if we think it we can do it! Let's take the Yugo, it happened? ..........someone had to think it up!

I'm just saying.....I'm not admitting the Yugo was the best dream for someone to have, but you know........it's real, and it happened.
Just know in your heart, the Yugo "was" somebodys dream someone had.

I'm not trying to be funny or nothing, but..... I, I.......
I'm just thinking my CR-Xperimental can't be any worse than that Yugo dream.

if For Crying >< Out Loud
then lprint"Coffe in a cup, please, no sugar, no cream, just au natural"
if For Crying = Out Loud
then lprint"Something happened, ow that hurt! That there my friend, was a
bad dream!"
else lprint"Night everyone!, just try and stop us from dreaming now!"

Last edited by brian french; 11-15-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by brian french
I'm sure with enough money thrown at it, anything is possible!
I'm sure with enough money thrown at it, anything would have been cheaper, including getting an actual CR-Z and boosting that instead.

I don't want to keep anybody from dreaming, but what you're suggesting is just not practical.