Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Hyundai CR-Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hyundai CR-Z

it begins..

http://www.dailytech.com/Hyundai+Loo...ticle18794.htm
Old 06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hyundai CR-Z

I dont care about the mileage claims of this new Hyundai, but im excited that they will have a 200 hp turbo model with DSG!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Still no clue why'd they aim at the Cr-z, thats like poking the cripple kid on the football team..sure its funny, but you can't poke the rest of the football team.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hai yun dai?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have to say i am very dissappointed in the MPG numbers of the CRZ and how they actually feel that it gets good MPG...since the VX and HX got 40+ without a stupid Hybrid setup.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First time in my life I would actually purchase a Hyundai over Honda. Wake up Honda, get your head out of your ***. It's rediculous. First the pathetic insight, and now the absolute failure that you are calling the CR-Z.

You're competition, the Prius and Velostar are light years ahead of what you are producing.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 95lscivic
First time in my life I would actually purchase a Hyundai over Honda.

no matter how good they sound, its still a hyundai, id never buy a hyundai. along with kias
Old 07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not buying a car simply bc "its a hyundai" is a pretty **** poor excuse...I think its pretty well accepted now that hyundai is making very quality cars.

Think of it like this... if in 1990, someone told you in 30 years, people would spend $50g on a Datsun, you'd laugh in their face. that crappy company once known as datsun now makes IMO some of the nicest cars on the road, branded under the name Infiniti. If i was in the market for a $30,000 car, I would seriously consider a Genesis, and Id be damn proud of it.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well,

Damn.

Last edited by hector85; 07-14-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny thing is ive been hearing rumors that hyundai and kia wont last threw 2011....so lets see if this acutally comes out.....even if it does, people trust the honda brand over many others so chances are.....they will go twards honda over hyundia....personally i havent seen one hyundia i would drive. i see my friends tiberon and ugly, slow, and is in the shop every other day for something.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by chawski
not buying a car simply bc "its a hyundai" is a pretty **** poor excuse...I think its pretty well accepted now that hyundai is making very quality cars.

Think of it like this... if in 1990, someone told you in 30 years, people would spend $50g on a Datsun, you'd laugh in their face. that crappy company once known as datsun now makes IMO some of the nicest cars on the road, branded under the name Infiniti. If i was in the market for a $30,000 car, I would seriously consider a Genesis, and Id be damn proud of it.
im well aware of what the datsun/nissan/infiniti and i never thought they was crappy. hyundais was, and still are crap. we will see how many of these new hyundais last over the years. look how many older 90's hondas, toyotas, nissans, and even mazdas are on the road compared to hyundais.
(and yes i understand less hyundais were sold but the ratio of them still on the road compared to sold is much less than the rest)

Originally Posted by racing_reject_001
funny thing is ive been hearing rumors that hyundai and kia wont last threw 2011...
x2

i still dont get why the title of this thread is Hyundai CR-Z???????????????
Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EHondaJDM
im well aware of what the datsun/nissan/infiniti and i never thought they was crappy.
That's because you're not old enough to have lived in a time when "jap scrap" cars were widely viewed as garbage. And to be fair, they were garbage. Datsuns, Hondas, and Toyotas of the 1970s had the uncanny ability to rust into the ground within 5 years of use. Honda's early automobile engines tended to blow head gaskets constantly and also burn large amounts of oil which lead to later self-destruction if left unchecked. There's a reason we see very few import cars from that era still on the road.

hyundais was, and still are crap. we will see how many of these new hyundais last over the years. look how many older 90's hondas, toyotas, nissans, and even mazdas are on the road compared to hyundais.
(and yes i understand less hyundais were sold but the ratio of them still on the road compared to sold is much less than the rest)
Your logic doesn't apply.

Hyundai began selling cars in the United States in 1986. You telling us to look for early '90s Hyundai models on the road would be akin to me telling you to count the number of N600s, Z600s and '73-75 Civics still on the road in 1990 - which I can tell you was next to nil.

If you can't adapt to the times, you're bound to be left behind. This goes for you, and this also goes for Honda. Ignoring Hyundai as a threat can prove to be a huge mistake, just as the big 3 domestic automakers ignoring Honda as a threat in the '70s was a big mistake.

Hyundai has taken some time to reach the level of quality we saw in 1990s-era Hondas and Toyotas, but there is no question that they are on a forward mission and constantly improving.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Targa250R said it right. I'm sorry but in many ways Honda has become complacent. In fact as a company in recent past they have stated just that specifically talking about the lack luster fuel mileage of the insight. However, thus far have done nothing to counteract this. I'm sorry if I feel that Honda, especially with the Insight and the CR-Z, have really been a vast disappointments. In light of what these cars could have been capable of with different engineering goals, especially the CR-Z, could have proven to be amazing but unfortunately is sub-par in many ways. They set out to make a "sports hybrid" and to a certain extent they did. But what is the point? There is none. Similair or better fuel mileage numbers can be achieved with a strict gasoline engine while still boasting better performance numbers. The Hyundai does just that. The CR-Z has the look, I'm still waiting for the rest of the package.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Targa250R
That's because you're not old enough to have lived in a time when "jap scrap" cars were widely viewed as garbage. And to be fair, they were garbage. Datsuns, Hondas, and Toyotas of the 1970s had the uncanny ability to rust into the ground within 5 years of use. Honda's early automobile engines tended to blow head gaskets constantly and also burn large amounts of oil which lead to later self-destruction if left unchecked. There's a reason we see very few import cars from that era still on the road.

Your logic doesn't apply.

Hyundai began selling cars in the United States in 1986. You telling us to look for early '90s Hyundai models on the road would be akin to me telling you to count the number of N600s, Z600s and '73-75 Civics still on the road in 1990 - which I can tell you was next to nil.

If you can't adapt to the times, you're bound to be left behind. This goes for you, and this also goes for Honda. Ignoring Hyundai as a threat can prove to be a huge mistake, just as the big 3 domestic automakers ignoring Honda as a threat in the '70s was a big mistake.

Hyundai has taken some time to reach the level of quality we saw in 1990s-era Hondas and Toyotas, but there is no question that they are on a forward mission and constantly improving.
im well aware of what the datsun/nissan/infiniti and i never thought they was crappy. hyundais was, and still are crap. we will see how many of these new hyundais last over the years. look how many older 90's hondas, toyotas, nissans, and even mazdas are on the road compared to hyundais.
(and yes i understand less hyundais were sold but the ratio of them still on the road compared to sold is much less than the rest).

i didnt mean to be unclear, i was refering to the 90's, and yes i was only born in 88

i understand what u mean but with the reputation hyundai has, i wouldnt be surprised if their newer cars start shitting the bed within the next couple years. i work part time at the junkyard and 90% of the 02-newer hyundais are in for mechanical failure, along with kias and nissans unfortunatly, while the rest of the imports are in for structural damage.

many people are looking for a sports hybrids to come out, as pointless as it may seem. i would assume this task is very difficult and like everything else honda has done it will take time to perfect. unfortunatly what you guys are saying is very true, honda and toyota are putting out crap, and untill they get in gear and fix these issues they do risk going under
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

with the reputation hyundai has, i wouldnt be surprised if their newer cars start shitting the bed within the next couple years.
They may still be crap vehicles, or they may not. We won't know for a few years. Until they prove to be good or bad though, their sales are going to keep increasing in the meanwhile because they're making a well-styled vehicle with the features that people want and undercutting the price of the competition. Most Hondas of the past decade have only hit two of these three targets; the CR-Z itself has the styling and the price down, but it doesn't have the features that I see many people (including myself) asking for. It's almost as if Honda is trying to create or force a market rather than cater to it.

i work part time at the junkyard and 90% of the 02-newer hyundais are in for mechanical failure, along with kias and nissans unfortunatly, while the rest of the imports are in for structural damage.
One important thing to keep in mind in this situation is the effect of resale value. Hyundai/Kia resale values (along with domestics') are very poor compared to the Japanese imports. Due to the plummeting value of the car, many people will choose to scrap a car rather than repair it simply because the car isn't worth the expense of the repair.

Trust me, Hondas still have their problems too. '98-02 Accords did not have a very solid drivetrain - both the 4-cylinder and V6 transmissions are very problematic and very expensive to fix properly. '99-03 TLs and '99-04 Odysseys suffer from the transmission problems as well. The difference is that many of these vehicles still have a high resale value (which is unfortunately based on perception rather than reality), so in many cases the owners will choose to make repairs and keep them on the road.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with most of what Targa250R is saying, other than the CR-Z having price down. Come on, $22k+ for a dumpy sub compact? A Fit that costs $16k+ seats 5, is just as quick, probably just as nimble, and still achieves mid thirties mileage. The CR-Z is vastly overpriced in my opinion.

Honda is really letting themselves go, unfortunately. People will and do buy Hyundais. Don't forget that they have a full 100,000 mile warranty, so they will be on the road for more than just a couple years. I know several friends who own Hyundais, like them, and never have any problems. I love my Civic, and it's very reliable, but Hondas aren't perfect. My parents 01' Odyssey lost a transmission at 80k. Pretty weak, right? Luckily a family friend works at the dealership and got it replaced free.

Honda is unfortunately not responding to the market, or making revolutionary vehicles anymore. Ford's new line, Hyundai's line, they're both nicer and cheaper. It'll be a sad day when Honda starts to go the way of GM, but it won't be too far down the line if they don't start making better vehicles and not just relying on their name.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Targa250R is right on the money. And in my field of work, I get to drive many cars from Hyundai's to Lamborghini's. I got into a new Sonata the other day and was IMPRESSED at the quality now put into these cars! The car has more back seat room then my GLI, which I'm not sure if they are in the same class of car though... However I'd definitely buy one if I were in the market for a new car.

They are also doing something that none of the other import auto makers are... selling a RWD sports car with options of a 2.0 liter turbo charged engine, or a 3.8 liter v6. None of the other auto makers are touching a RWD sports car, since Honda stopped making the s2000. And as stated above, a standard 100,000k mile warranty. Not Honda, Toyota, or Nissan offer that!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to sell Hyundai's and now sell Honda's. Hyundai's quality is still poor in comparison to Honda. I sold the new 2011 Sonata's and the cars turn signals wouldn't even work right out of the factory. This happend more than anything. Hyundai's also are always in the shop. You may be getting a okay car with a great warr but do you really want to invest that much time into being in the shop for a NEW car. I would not. Plus the cost of ownership is about the same. Paying 2000 more is worth not spending my fridays at a dealership getting my car fixed.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like Targa250r should just go buy himself a Hyundai, and find out for himself the actual lack of quality in them. I have been working in a local mom and pop garage for about 5 years, and will still see multiple mechanical issues with newer Hyundai's every week. While all I see Honda's for is brakes, tires, or other wear items. The CRZ is a joke, and I would never own one, but to claim that Hyundai is an actual car maker is rediculous. The problem persist that people dont buy for quality anymore they buy for price, but you get what you pay for. And, with that Hyundai is a cheap imitator of Honda and other Japaneese brands, and as such will never compare.Their like the Rota of the car manufacturer world, they look nice from a far, but will crack under pressure. From the look of the article Hyundai is copying Honda's older models, Honda just needs to stop with the hybrid bull, and continue making great front wheel drive compacts, that are light weight with a small 4 cylinder they are known for. Honda's line-up has something for everyone and is full of quality vehicles that people can actually rely upon unlike the Hyundai counterparts. I work on these vehicles everyday, and I would never allow anybody I know to buy a new or old Hyundai.

P.S. Kia is even worse in my book, because when they do break on a weekly basis they take a few more weeks of downtime to find replacment parts. IMO Korean car manufacturers have made nothing impressive, EVER.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by BLUEASHEF
They're basically junk cars I love Honda and would never consider trading one in for a wannabe like Hyundai. To each their own, but from actual experience the cars were junk, and still are without any changes. So no I don't think Honda has much to worry about.
i understand stickin with the hometeam but honda's quality has gone down alot since 01. your d-riding. hyundai has made some changes, we are just waitin to see if theyre for the better

I think the biggest threat to everyone honestly is Ford everything in their line-up is impressive, and their quality has done nothing but move up from that of the past.
hold on while i pick up my jaw...
your kidding right???
while working in the yard we've gotten 7 f150s and Exploders in the past 4 months.
they all caught fire under the dash and toasted up before their owners woke up

taurus??? i dont even have to say anything everybody know

windstar or freestars?? just as bad as the taurus

flex? another knock off the box design, needs more than a refridgerator to impress me

If your looking at something like the CRZ I would reccommend testing the Fiesta they're fairly impressive. Thats my 2cents.

Fiesta??? Really?? Rather have a fit all day

on that note maybe this guy hit the pipe before he posted this
Old 07-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rethought that post think I actually deleted, just got pist to quick chill man. Look at the new post I stand by that haha, and I hate to admit it but I'm a huge Mustang fan on my 5th Fox so far. I will testify that I replace the rear springs on a Tauras at least once a week literally. So yah I can agree with that just wanted to clarify somethings.

Just got my stepdad to purchase a new 2010 Fit its a black 5-speed, and he's already wanting some suspension should be fun. The Fiesta is pretty cool though don't care what anybody says.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Sounds like Targa250r should just go buy himself a Hyundai, and find out for himself the actual lack of quality in them.

Kia is even worse in my book, because when they do break on a weekly basis they take a few more weeks of downtime to find replacment parts. IMO Korean car manufacturers have made nothing impressive, EVER.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow... this thread is so full of automotive knowledge and ase master techs...

many of the same hater comments were said about the japanese and european cars in the 60's, 70's and 80's... now look at what we drive...

and hondas never break, just korean cars...
Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ford is making some nice cars. Their Fiestas are built with Boronic steel, it allows the metal to be hardened while retaining the same weight, making the car lighter/more efficient/stronger. Look at the fusion, that car is solid, rented one to drive to long Island (about 200~mi) Very comfortable, solid, smooth, decent on gas, looks great too. My father had a dodge RAM and an f150. Dodge RAM's brake systems all failed due to rust??(wtf?) He almost died twice because of it. Gas tank fell off the car when he was driving. the list goes on and on. It was a 1999 with 95k on it btw. He ended up getting 2k for it. The f150 had over 180k on it and he sold it for 1800$, car never had any problems. My buddy had a 88 f100 with 374k on it, never had any issues with that one either. I work for a car auction and the most common piece of junk cars we get are european cars, mercedes, bmw. Audi and vw are especially bad. I have probably driven almost every car made in the last 20 years and the ones that almost never have issues are fords, hondas, and toyotas. Most of the civics tend to have been messed with so they appear shitty.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone look at economics with the auto companies. Ford was the only company of the three that did not take money from the gov. Now they are one of the only companies that is actually doing well. They have to be doing something right, people dont just buy cars because some commercial said so.

Quick Reply: Hyundai CR-Z