Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

How is the manual startup after the engine turns back on?

Old 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default How is the manual startup after the engine turns back on?

After watching a review on the Cr-z it seems the reporter said he felt the engine bog or studder when turning back on after it being off while at a stop and not in gear? also does the car need to be at a dead stop for the engine to shut off? and when EXACTLY does the engine restart? and last question, if your rolling 40mph in neutral, is the engine on or off lol I wonder about this stuff cause im a potential buyer, but don't know how the car behaves day to day.. thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How is the manual startup after the engine turns back on?

Never suffered any bogging or stuttering after a restart. The restart is pretty rapid so you would have to engage the clutch very quickly for it to be a problem I would say.
The car doesn't have to be stopped for the engine to shut off - if you're braking and put it in neutral it cuts at 18mph (so if you're doing 40 the engine will be running). It restarts if you select a gear or release the brake before coming to a stop.
If the engine has been stopped for a while it restarts as soon as you push the clutch fully.
If it's not been stopped for long (this varies, but up to about 90 seconds) then it restarts when you select a gear.
I'd say the system works pretty well, the only thing to catch you out really is that the engine does not restart if you don't depress the clutch fully, so it is possible to dip the clutch enough to put it gear without it restarting. I've done that twice.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lexicon View Post
Never suffered any bogging or stuttering after a restart. The restart is pretty rapid so you would have to engage the clutch very quickly for it to be a problem I would say.
The car doesn't have to be stopped for the engine to shut off - if you're braking and put it in neutral it cuts at 18mph (so if you're doing 40 the engine will be running). It restarts if you select a gear or release the brake before coming to a stop.
If the engine has been stopped for a while it restarts as soon as you push the clutch fully.
If it's not been stopped for long (this varies, but up to about 90 seconds) then it restarts when you select a gear.
I'd say the system works pretty well, the only thing to catch you out really is that the engine does not restart if you don't depress the clutch fully, so it is possible to dip the clutch enough to put it gear without it restarting. I've done that twice.
That is so interesting. I wonder what happens when the car is not so brand spankin new and it takes a few split seconds more for the car to actually start as opposed to how it starts extremely rapidly right now so new ya feel me.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Trial User

Well only time will tell I guess - I've only done about 3000 miles so far.
Although, unless the mileage was enormous, I'd be disappointed if that were to happen. The engine starts much smoother and faster than in a "normal" car as the IMA motor spins the engine, rather than a conventional starter-motor (although it does have one in reserve).
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like lexicon said it restarts when you push the clutch all the way in to select first gear. Also it will only shut the engine down during certain circumstances, if it is freezin ***** cold outside it will allow it to run.