Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

High-Performance Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Hites!

Default High-Performance Insight?

no, i have personally never seen one. has anybody ever seen an insight with ANY performance parts? im not talking about a muffler or k&n; im talking about a full exhaust, nitrous/turbo, and/or some sort of upgrade to the hybrid system.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

raise the vcore in bios
Old 01-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (Hites!)

Anything you do will reduce the gas mileage dramatically. What's the point in buying such a high-tech gas sipper when you're going to make it use more fuel?

If anything, people are looking for ways to improve the gas mileage even more.
Old 01-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RangerJoe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerJoe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">raise the vcore in bios</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NOS and then audition for Fast and Furios #3
Old 01-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Hites!

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (WuWarrior)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WuWarrior &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Anything you do will reduce the gas mileage dramatically. What's the point in buying such a high-tech gas sipper when you're going to make it use more fuel?

If anything, people are looking for ways to improve the gas mileage even more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you honestly that stupid? hybrid technology is the next step in terms of affordable and practical performance. you ever heard of the honda dualnote or acura dnx concepts? they both achieved 400 hp while getting 40 miles to the gallon with a 3.5l ivtec v6. hybrid systems have a great output to size ratio and have the potential to be easily upgraded; electrical motors also produce massive amounts of torque in the very low rpms (new toyota prius makes nearly 300 lb/ft at 0 rpm) which would make a great combination when paired to a small displacement high revving engine such as nearly every honda engine. hybrid technology is currently stuck within the gates of the econocars, but their performance potential is just now being realized. dont be a narrow-minded fool; look outside of the box.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hites! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you honestly that stupid? hybrid technology is the next step in terms of affordable and practical performance. you ever heard of the honda dualnote or acura dnx concepts? they both achieved 400 hp while getting 40 miles to the gallon with a 3.5l ivtec v6. hybrid systems have a great output to size ratio and have the potential to be easily upgraded; electrical motors also produce massive amounts of torque in the very low rpms (new toyota prius makes nearly 300 lb/ft at 0 rpm) which would make a great combination when paired to a small displacement high revving engine such as nearly every honda engine. hybrid technology is currently stuck within the gates of the econocars, but their performance potential is just now being realized. dont be a narrow-minded fool; look outside of the box.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As the good friend of a service manager at Acura, I can attest to what this guy is saying,as the _next new_ TL is supposed to promote this technology. I'm all for hybrid technology in the form of IMA in different applications. As a fanatical autocrosser, I'd hop all over that technology if it were made into a higher performing application, especially in a car as light as the Insight... They just don't make them that light anymore (exception: the Lotus Elise, finally coming here legally!!! )

Ah yes, the Insight... imagine it with the Civic Si's powerplant in a 1750lb. car! New CRX anyone?

Whether I'd be able to afford a 400hp sports car is another matter though(!) as right now, Honda loses money on each Hybrid car they produce. Apparently though the losses are quickly recovered in vehicles like the Accord and the Pilot. Not to mention that the Prius won Car of the Year, so I'd have to imagine Honda will step up marketing and content in 2004 and beyond.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
Old 01-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (honda93)

i personally would love to see an Insight with a K20A, dumped on some 16" wheels with a nice aggressive kit and HID's.
but thats just me.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Hites!

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (J-Unit.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J-Unit.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i personally would love to see an Insight with a K20A, dumped on some 16" wheels with a nice aggressive kit and HID's.
but thats just me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that would definitely be a surprise, but i am more interested in hybrid performance. somebody once told me that they knew of a turboed insight, but thats just a crock of ****.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Hites!

just did a search for insight performance parts of any performance-oriented insights and came up with NOTHING. hey, how much do those honda 600s weigh?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:44 PM

Guess you guys never heard of the ALL ELECTRIC Sport Car. TZERO
It's a beast, it's the latest technology in electric motors. It does 13.2 sec 1/4 mile, 0-60 mph in 4.1sec, and its a 200hp engine. Smokes porches and vette's all day long.

http://www.acpropulsion.com/tz...e.htm

Old 02-24-2004, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its coming.....

FYI, a fully loaded Insight only weighs like 1,800 lbs...
Old 02-26-2004, 06:42 AM

the insight/k20 has already been done, n/a 9 sec ...obviously not street legal.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:16 AM

I saw one hooked up to a 9.0 aol high speed processor with a long *** extension cord the other day driveing down the road

it made the batteries in the back boost up more power. hahaha
Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
washuuu

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (nuttybumpo)

I thought the Insight was being scrapped bcause the Civic hybrid stole its thunder in sales.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (mistersparco)

it never had much in sales.

the k20 insight would be nice. why wouldn't it be street-legal?
Old 03-01-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (mistersparco)

i'm a tech at a honda dealership and the insight won't sell, we still have brand new 02 insights in the back of the lot that we can't even give away. they also suck to work on, i'd rather work on a element
Old 03-08-2004, 10:44 PM
HT Black Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nuttybumpo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm a tech at a honda dealership and the insight won't sell, we still have brand new 02 insights in the back of the lot that we can't even give away. they also suck to work on, i'd rather work on a element</TD></TR></TABLE> You want to cut me a sweet deal on one of those insights? I wouldn't mind using one as a comuter car for the work week, that way i can gut my civic
Old 03-09-2004, 09:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nuttybumpo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm a tech at a honda dealership and the insight won't sell, we still have brand new 02 insights in the back of the lot that we can't even give away. they also suck to work on, i'd rather work on a element</TD></TR></TABLE>What? What's hard about an Insight or an Element?

I hear there is a $500 or $600 dollar tax credit if you purchase a new Insight. Most Honda dealers are willing to deal with you on price because the Insight isn't exactly flying off the showroom floor. So, not only will you have a car with great gas mileage (almost twice as good as my bike), but you'll get a tax credit and a discounts from the dealer.

Hmmmmm....I might just have to pick one up for a daily driver....
Old 03-11-2004, 05:19 AM

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (AngryTroll)

that tax credit doesn't apply at all honda dealers.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:24 AM

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (AngryTroll)

the ima diag is what is hard on the insight, when you look in the back by the big battery pack there is a breaker switch that say "caution, may cause serious injury or death" on it doesn't exactly make you want to work on it. another tech where i work had one blow up on him when trying to get it out of the car with the supplied special tool from honda. they just suck
Old 03-11-2004, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a federal tax credit, they have to accept it.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:31 PM

there is no performance potential in that motor. nothing to be gained. The IMA (integrated motor assist) is designed to do one thing. Get from point a to b with most efficiency. if you were able to find this shell and remove the rear wheel covers and custom design the rear wheel wells and drop i a jdm k24 type-r motor with 6-spd trans. that would be killer. that is all.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High-Performance Insight? (94JDMEG)

Back in the early early 1990's, when "Beyond 2000" was still on, I saw a fully electric car which would go from 0-100 mph in like 4 seconds. There's nothing to burn---direct current is at full potential at any given moment. I was like 15 at the time and thought by the time I was 30(now), we would have these fast *** electric cars. It's been done long ago and the TZero is the result. Only people with 120k can buy the super fast/super eco-friendly cars. Who's gonna step up and produce such cars for the masses? No one probably. If going fast were cheap, we wouldn't have to "swap" this and that.

Great topic
Old 06-07-2004, 12:53 PM

how long does that electric sports car stay plugged in for?

Quick Reply: High-Performance Insight?