Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter

Old 01-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter

still nothing, you can email it to me, I'm very curious to see bongobennie@mac.com
Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the pic. How does it drive, any rubbing, any improvement in overall handling? I have looked at narrowing a CRZ rear end or keeping it wide and coming up with a skirt alternative, I never imagined they would fit.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 449 Likes on 415 Posts

I will know in a couple more weeks. Mechanical side of things are done on my swap. Wrapping up the electrical stuffs.

Looks boss. Gotta send you the *** shot with the stock tire on one side and the 195 on the other.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh those pics made my day! Its going to be a good year before mine hits the road and wondering how it would look.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I moved my home work bench and stumble upon an HKS K20 cast turbo manifold Ive had for a few years and failed several times to sell...... now, I have just received an order of steel for the intake manifold adapter and when I saw the HKS piece with new eyes it registered in my brain that it might just work.... and I was very right. I can trim and re-drill and it will bolt right on..... I do have 2 comprimises though. First is the exhaust port is 1.25" and the manifold ports are 1.75" so there will be a step (a step bigger which I can life with. Second, I will have to use smaller (8mm from 10mm) studs in 2 holes OR some kind of slim nut for the 10 stud OR file down some on the manifold a bit so a 10mm nut will fit (opinions?) This aside it will bolt on which makes me super happy!
Attached Images   

Last edited by BongoBennie; 01-28-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is a sweet looking manifold! T25? T3? I wish I could find one of the original HKS or Greddy T25 cast manifolds for the D seires for my other project.

I would go with full size studs and nuts then remove a little material for clearance on the manifold. That casting is probably 1/4" thick on the runners, maybe thicker near the flange to runner transition.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

T25, it came with the RSX kit..... I have a Greddy D series manifold too (Im a hoarder!) Ill sell or trade it.... I loved the pics BTW!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BongoBennie
T25, it came with the RSX kit..... I have a Greddy D series manifold too (Im a hoarder!) Ill sell or trade it.... I loved the pics BTW!
If it is a T25 Greddy I would be real interested.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is that one, PM me its yours
Old 01-31-2017, 05:57 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I would get the engine mounted up 1st before even looking at fooling with the manifolds. It'll tell you how much room you have to play with.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I would get the engine mounted up 1st before even looking at fooling with the manifolds. It'll tell you how much room you have to play with.
That Fit engine is a bit smaller than a K series and you can nearly stand between the firewall and a K24 in the Insight bay.

Here is mine with the engine pushed back far enough that the intake manifold is not fighting for space with the core support.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The issue I had with this swap was the hood clearance, stock manifold was 4 inches too high, I actually planned on building this NA but lack of intake manifold space changed that.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
That Fit engine is a bit smaller than a K series and you can nearly stand between the firewall and a K24 in the Insight bay.

Here is mine with the engine pushed back far enough that the intake manifold is not fighting for space with the core support.

So you've done this swap?

edit: nvm, this is a k24 swap. Got a build thread?
Old 02-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So you've done this swap?

edit: nvm, this is a k24 swap. Got a build thread?
In the middle of it. Nearly done. I have posted up a couple times in this thread and the other K swaped Insight thread.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/insigh...ights-2703577/
Old 02-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Fish Twig

I'll check out the finish product. Should def be fun car to drive
Old 02-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Semi related build news. I just celebrated my first wedding anniversary and I never switched my tax deductions at work, just found out Im getting right around $5K back so my build is now fully funded!! I talked to Ground Control and they are selling me their Insight coilover kit but to fit RSX front struts instead (for the same price!). Im ordering the Koni Yellow adjustable strut inserts for the front and the GAZ adjustable dampeners for the rear.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Send pictures of that swanky suspension when you get it. I have a feeling the stock Insight suspenders are going to be a bit on the soft side for the added power. Visions of the rear bumper kissing the road on a hard launch.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really cool build. But i can't imagine putting that much work into a 1g insight.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the Ground Control set up because they do have a slew of spring rates to move up to and are fairly cheap, I am also considering a much bigger sub box since there is so much 'wasted space' so maybe 150 added lbs total so that makes it possible as well. I have considered modding the existing suspension, similar to C notching frames on mini trucks to get it lower, also considering a CRZ and even a HRV rear axle beam and either narrowing or better yet custom fender flairs and using RSX rear shocks, I might try this later but for now, GAZ is easiest....

I have a lot of ideas but right now I have much bigger projects to cover (like the wife garbage disposal) so I want to try minimal approach first. If I take this car to its final stage, it will be a plug in hybrid AWD, 400HP up front and a small 75hp equivalent rear electric drive for a plug in hybrid capable of an 80 mpg commute and 12 sec 1/4 mile....... but that is a very expensive ride. I have a feeling that I will have a small fleet of Insights though, Im working on storage so I can find another.... I really dig the car
Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I found that the Nissan GTR exhaust studs fit perfectly and bolted the manifold on today with a dummy turbo and it fits great. Plenty of room for downpipe.
Attached Images    
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good! So much room for activities!

Have you thought about running longer studs so you could put a sleeve between the manifold and the nut to gain more clearance for a nut?

Or a nut with a sleeve built in.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the GTR studs I have a good 1/2 inch extra for a sleeve. You're right about all the room, after I get it running Im thinking about making a long-tube header into the turbo if I go through with part 2........

*****random thought warning******
I have have the engine actually bolted in now with hoses and I'm rethinking the intake manifold again. If I build it its going to be a sheet metal basic unit to get it on the road and like the exhaust, redo it later .... More than likely though I will have my sister who is in air force as an airframe welder, waterjet me a stack of flanges and fix me up but since she's stationed in JapanIm gonna wait 4 months and she can weld it up here (I have a baby TIG, just no aluminum skills vs her doing it in Japan and making a fatal error) Im cramming right now studying intake manifold design theory yet If I HAD the room, i probably would have stayed NA, the turbo was more of a crutch for lack of low end TQ due to a compromised intake and just because turbo are cool vs HP needs. So many options when you search custom intake manifold parts for the DIY crowd. Unfortunately the best stuff is way to big. I like HP but I really want a car that feels stock even though with way more power. Intake ports and runners are 1.25"(32mm) so everything Im making is miniature but again, does it (velocity stacks, equal lengths, proper plenum shape and size etc) really matter or if I just connect the holes let the turbo do the work, I am using air to water intercooler above the trans so total distance from turbo outlet to TB is less than 18", BB T2554 turbo, should be all but lag free. Thoughts on these as intake runners (14gauge thickness) Aluminium Velocity Stack - 32mm ID?

There is a guy CNCing the perfect intake oddly enough for a crazy supercharged Fit coming out but its understandably too much @$1450.

GD3 Rotrex Build - Page 5 - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums
Old 02-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been in the Honda game for many years and have had many cars of my own and when I got the Insight, I really didn't know much about it. I really just wanted more of a commuter car compared to my K24a2/6speed EP3 that I bought new in 04 (loved that car!). After ripping my Insight apart and researching all the possibilities I have developed a good amount of buyers remorse over the Fit swap as If I had went K20 from the beginning I would have been done already, but I want what I want and that is the perfect commuter. So after looking at $1K turbos to make 150WHP I decided to take that money and start over with another insight and build the car of my dreams, meanwhile I will water down this car a bit and scratch the turbo and a few other things. I will still have flashpro and the exhaust will be a bit more on the flow side along with a custom header but other than that will remain mostly OEM Honda stuff. Sorry to day this car will be even less exiting now but I will for sure keep this thread updated, #2 will have its own and more exciting build page one day in the future.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got all my suspension now, ready to install..... Springs are Ground Control, from struts are Koni yellows for RSX, rear shocks are adjustable GAZ for insight.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2017, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oooo pretty!

I am going to need those, put her on all four for the first time last night and she has got a bit or rake going on. Removing 120lbs from the trunk and adding it to engine upsets the balance a little.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter