Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/)
-   -   Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-insight-cr-z-hybrid-154/build-thread-1g-insight-w-l15a-fit-t-ultimate-commuter-3290050/)

BongoBennie 12-18-2016 09:29 PM

Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter

1 Attachment(s)
I have started a build that is going to be my "Ultimate Commuter"

2008 Honda Fit Sport drivetrain (1.5L 109HP 5 speed auto including paddle shifters)
Turbocharged using Garrett GT2554r turbo.
75 pounds of Dynamatt and 1500watts of JL power including two 10 inch subs
Goal is to have quick freeway car for my 75 mile daily commute, Hoping to have sub 14 second 1/4 mile acceleration with 50MPG daily.
I started this build almost a year ago and was posting on the Insight forum but since there have been a few changes in my plans I decided to post it here to archive the build.

Ryanthegreat1 12-18-2016 09:48 PM

Re: Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter

On your intake manifold issue. Is there another engine in that family that has the manifold go downward like a K series?

BongoBennie 12-18-2016 09:58 PM

All intakes made for the engine go over the top. I was considering building one that curved down similar to the original insight or a K24 with the plenum closer to the oil pan but since turbocharging was a strong interest as a 'stage two' I decided to go for it now since the intake can be just a shorty.

BongoBennie 12-19-2016 06:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I am going for a hybrid vibe and went with the '08 Civic Hybrid wheels, 195/45-15 Toyos for a way 'cooler' low pro yet still OEMish. On rear I went with 4x100 to 5x114.3 one piece adapters 23mm thick. I have been expecting to have to modify the skirts a bit but was shocked that they actually fit while the car is raised...... we will see if it fits soon enough.

Ryanthegreat1 01-02-2017 12:42 PM

Copy cat! I did the 2009 Civic Hybrid wheels and 195/50-15 tires. They do look great on the Insight and maintain that OEM look. I might need to get those adapters you are running. Seems like a simple solution for the rear.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kO...w1736-h1285-no

BongoBennie 01-02-2017 09:56 PM

SWEET!! After a few seconds on the sanding disc, the skirts clear by a good picky width, I haven't set her on the ground yet but it looks like it will clear....... fingers crossed....

heres the link for the adapters if you didn't get it already Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech

Ryanthegreat1 01-03-2017 10:09 AM

Any chance you snapped a picture of the adapters? I sent an email off to the company that makes them.

BongoBennie 01-03-2017 01:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hub centric on both sides as well

Ryanthegreat1 01-03-2017 05:36 PM

Nice. Time to get some of those ordered for my project.

BongoBennie 01-13-2017 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been struggling with the intake manifold as the insight hoodlike is a good 5 inches lower than the Insight (hood hole wasn't an option) while turbocharging is always fun, I figured it was necessary as I could then build a simple shorty intake and call it a day. Well, now that I have the engine back in for a minute I was looking a building a long tube IM that would rap down "Like a K24!!" ....... after telling someone that I looked one up online a thought that the plenum side of the manifold could be used so one quick trip to craigslist and I bought one and not only will it work but so will the throttle body. Now the stock manifold has 15" runners that are 1.25 ID, with this set up I'm looking at 10 inch runners that are 8 inches of 1.75" the 2 of a transition... the TB will also swap and add 4mm or so...... with the shorter and fatter manifold that will now be done was sooner and way cheaper, Im looking at the turbos again.

Ryanthegreat1 01-16-2017 11:40 AM

Nice find, should not be too hard to adapt that intake manifold.

BongoBennie 01-16-2017 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by blue8g (Post 51170470)
Heads up, the Fit 5AT is garbage. Gets 20% worse fuel economy in the real world than the 5MT does.

Yeah, I have an 08 Fit sport that get about 33mpg, if I can get in the 40's I'm just fine with it. Im pretty sure this is the only auto swap that would fit between the frame rails. Trans mount is actually a direct fit and crank fully lines up perfectly with the service hole. Do I have regrets about it, some, but I'm determined to make something just a bit different. The trans itself has held up to 180whp with an oil cooler in several supercharged Fits, $4K to Level 10 and it will handle a claimed 500HP

BongoBennie 01-16-2017 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1 (Post 51170468)
Nice find, should not be too hard to adapt that intake manifold.

yes, saved me a bunch of time and headache...... accord TB plugs right in too, its 3ish mm bigger

tony_2018 01-17-2017 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by BongoBennie (Post 51170894)
Yeah, I have an 08 Fit sport that get about 33mpg, if I can get in the 40's I'm just fine with it. Im pretty sure this is the only auto swap that would fit between the frame rails. Trans mount is actually a direct fit and crank fully lines up perfectly with the service hole. Do I have regrets about it, some, but I'm determined to make something just a bit different. The trans itself has held up to 180whp with an oil cooler in several supercharged Fits, $4K to Level 10 and it will handle a claimed 500HP

Any links to these build threads that had their auto's rebuilt? Man, mixed reviews about lvl10's work so I would just like to read about it. Pretty cool that the auto guys are keeping it auto. I like the sprintex kit, its affordable and K-tuner is the choice to go for reflashing.

BongoBennie 01-17-2017 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018 (Post 51171506)
Any links to these build threads that had their auto's rebuilt? Man, mixed reviews about lvl10's work so I would just like to read about it. Pretty cool that the auto guys are keeping it auto. I like the sprintex kit, its affordable and K-tuner is the choice to go for reflashing.

I will have to search later for other links but this guy seems to be 'that guy'
Kraftwerks A/T @ 10psi? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums
I looked at the SC kit but won't fit the chassis.

if it can hold 130whp daily it will be worth blowing a few up finding where it will be happy, used trans and engines can be had for $400 and are quite common.

I haven't seen anyone with a Fit Level 10 tranny, worth more than car I guess and I believe something could be off about them based off the tone of their email, glad you said something.

I really wanted this car to be automatic, I considered the R18 civic/AT combo but it was too wide, this combo is 1/4 inch on either end away from not fitting. I haven't looked at Ktuner, will my OBD2 port still work for smog?

my only regrets are the fact if I would have went k20 it would be done already, serious Fit guys are K20 too

Ryanthegreat1 01-17-2017 06:13 PM

My wheel adapeters are in the mail! Thanks for the tip on that one.

I also scored an NSX spare wheel as a light weight aluminum 5 lug spare. I don't have it yet so I don't know what it weighs. Should be better than throwing an old rusty steel spare in the back.

The stock Insight spare clocked in at 15.2lbs wheel and tire.

tony_2018 01-17-2017 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by BongoBennie (Post 51171722)
I will have to search later for other links but this guy seems to be 'that guy'
Kraftwerks A/T @ 10psi? - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums
I looked at the SC kit but won't fit the chassis.

if it can hold 130whp daily it will be worth blowing a few up finding where it will be happy, used trans and engines can be had for $400 and are quite common.

I haven't seen anyone with a Fit Level 10 tranny, worth more than car I guess and I believe something could be off about them based off the tone of their email, glad you said something.

I really wanted this car to be automatic, I considered the R18 civic/AT combo but it was too wide, this combo is 1/4 inch on either end away from not fitting. I haven't looked at Ktuner, will my OBD2 port still work for smog?

my only regrets are the fact if I would have went k20 it would be done already, serious Fit guys are K20 too

well..if a guy can make a j-series fit in a fit, i'm sure you can find a way to as well

BongoBennie 01-17-2017 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by tony_2018 (Post 51171926)
well..if a guy can make a j-series fit in a fit, i'm sure you can find a way to as well

Fit motor INTO 1g Insight, its the auto trans that makes things tight.

tony_2018 01-17-2017 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by BongoBennie (Post 51171966)
Fit motor INTO 1g Insight, its the auto trans that makes things tight.

Let me rephrase it.

If this guy can get a j-series to fit IN A FIT

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...build-3240845/

Than you can get the L15 in the insight.

Get it?

There are no guides when venturing into the unknown, you just have to plan and see how things pan out. GL.

BongoBennie 01-17-2017 09:49 PM

https://honda-tech.com/forums/insigh...sight-3283478/

Ryanthegreat1 01-19-2017 08:02 PM

Got the adapters for the rear. Had to do some cutting. Only have about 1/8" between the sidewall and the skirt on the rear edge. I think my tires are a little wider than what you went with. I think they have a rim protector sidewall on them.

Did you have to cut down your Insight's studs? I did, the one for the offset stud thing had to be cut way down and the others needed ~1/8" removed to be below the face of the adapter so the hub of the wheel would not hit them.

And on a side note, Stock insight wheel and oem tire combo with 10k miles of wear is 23lbs per corner. The 2009 Civic Hybrid wheels with the 195/50r15 Yokohama S.drive weigh in at 36.8lbs. So about 55lbs in added rotating mass for the bigger wheel and tire combo.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/r1...w1832-h1374-no

Going to be hellaflush or stanced out as they say.

BongoBennie 01-20-2017 07:18 AM

Yes, trimmed lugs as you did, excited to hear but can you repost the pic, it isn't working

Ryanthegreat1 01-20-2017 12:16 PM

Did I fix it?

BongoBennie 01-20-2017 06:14 PM

nope

Ryanthegreat1 01-21-2017 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now?

Attachment 514657