Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Budget B-Series Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Budget B-Series Build

So this is the issue, passenger axle bottoms out before I can put the top bolt into the strut.
- From what I understand, all B-series share the same passenger side axle (no shorter options exist).
- Looks like the driver side mount area is going to need to be chopped up to provide a bit more clearance.
- Pretty thick area, frame rail ties into suspension around here
- Redo all engine mounts to shift motor towards driver ~20mm
Old 01-07-2019, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

The problem is the insight is such a narrow car. Almost 10" narrower then a crx if I remember correctly. I'm working on a d16 right now that will be going into my 00 Insight. I'm hoping I can run the oem Insight axles if I can flip them from side to side. If not you can cut the axles to length and have a sleeve same id as the axle od machined to slip both halfs of the axles into and weld it up. Of course you would want to do this with a v block to make sure they are straight. Good luck on your build man.

I plan on running a 99 civic ex engine harness on mine with a obd2b to obd1 jumper. You only have to give 4 wires power, one wire ground and hook up something for the starter signal to get it to fire assuming you have 12v going to the fuel pump. I did it this way on my crx drag car because I got it without a chassis harness and didn't want the extra weight of one. Took me a few hours to wire up the whole car from front to back and everything that needs to work.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
The problem is the insight is such a narrow car. Almost 10" narrower then a crx if I remember correctly. I'm working on a d16 right now that will be going into my 00 Insight. I'm hoping I can run the oem Insight axles if I can flip them from side to side. If not you can cut the axles to length and have a sleeve same id as the axle od machined to slip both halfs of the axles into and weld it up. Of course you would want to do this with a v block to make sure they are straight. Good luck on your build man.

I plan on running a 99 civic ex engine harness on mine with a obd2b to obd1 jumper. You only have to give 4 wires power, one wire ground and hook up something for the starter signal to get it to fire assuming you have 12v going to the fuel pump. I did it this way on my crx drag car because I got it without a chassis harness and didn't want the extra weight of one. Took me a few hours to wire up the whole car from front to back and everything that needs to work.
Ya know, I've never thought about shortening the axles. I did look into custom ones, but they're awfully $$$. I'll have to go remeasure to make sure moving the motor doesn't just move the issue from one side to the other. (DOH!)

Wiring wise, once I started separating wires to keep from crap, i was amazed how few wires are actually used to run the engine on this thing, beautiful minimalist 90's engineering.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Gotta love the older Honda simplicity. Interested to see what you come up with for axle fitment. I was just looking online today and they list the insight k series axles as eg/dc fitment as well so that has me curious if you'll be able to make them fit. I'm in the planning/ rebuilding process for a turbo sohc for my insight. The axles are the one thing holding me up in my head currently.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrisc543
I bought some better wire that kept it down a little. I'm an amateur welder so I pretty much grind a lot. Lol.
your NOT a welder your a grinder