Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

2012 Insight paint code YR593P Truffle Pearl Paint match issue!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 2012 Insight paint code YR593P Truffle Pearl Paint match issue!

Has anyone had to refinish a panel with this color yet? I am looking for a paint supplier who has a good match on this color. Most are so far off that they are even hard to tint around to a blend-able color. PPG had to be called to obtain and formula, and claimed it was a good match. We sprayed a test card, and it's not even a blend-able match. Been tweaking it around, but it's still way off. Dupont does not even list a mixable code for this color, except in water base. R-M (Diamont) has a crappy match too (too red). Still checking into Lesonal (Sikkens), and also checking Sherwin Williams, but at this point we have not had good luck yet. Guess it's too new of a color and no one has had to do much with this color yet. Looks like this may be a bear of a color to match. If anyone has had any luck matching this color yet on the japan made Insight, it would be appreciated letting me know which paint supplier had a decent (blend-able) match.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2012 Insight paint code YR593P Truffle Pearl Paint match issue!

Originally Posted by moparmusclecars View Post
Has anyone had to refinish a panel with this color yet? I am looking for a paint supplier who has a good match on this color. Most are so far off that they are even hard to tint around to a blend-able color. PPG had to be called to obtain and formula, and claimed it was a good match. We sprayed a test card, and it's not even a blend-able match. Been tweaking it around, but it's still way off. Dupont does not even list a mixable code for this color, except in water base. R-M (Diamont) has a crappy match too (too red). Still checking into Lesonal (Sikkens), and also checking Sherwin Williams, but at this point we have not had good luck yet. Guess it's too new of a color and no one has had to do much with this color yet. Looks like this may be a bear of a color to match. If anyone has had any luck matching this color yet on the japan made Insight, it would be appreciated letting me know which paint supplier had a decent (blend-able) match.
You should double check with PPG and verify the code is correct. How much experience do you have painting pearls? If you only sprayed a test card and not a let down panel, that could be where the issue is.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2012 Insight paint code YR593P Truffle Pearl Paint match issue!

I appreciate the reply. I got this handled last week actually. I did verify the paint code, and I have 30 years in the body and paint trade. I also own my own body shop. Just posted on here to see if anyone ran into this code yet. Thought maybe someone had something figured out that I had not yet. Also, this is not a tri-coat, but standard pearl coat paint. The pearl is mixed in the formula from the start. We found to start with that the metallic's (2) were both too small in the formula, so we went with the coarsest that PPG has. What makes this paint code so different is that in the formula it calls for two different metallic's, and two different pearls. Then we had to tint the PPG color to what we thought would be close by shifting it first black, and then going from there. We kept dialing it after each spray out card and checking it with the vehicle in outside day light. After four card spay outs, we finally hit it on the button. The local paint store manager also assisted with the color match, and will be submitting our results to PPG for further examination and possible changes to the formula they now have in place. Thanks anyway!

Last edited by moparmusclecars; 05-06-2014 at 05:07 AM.