Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter

Im using stock radiator with the matching fans from Fit, the original, condenser lines up to the matching A/C compressor but I did have to trim the back of the headlight and it has to be removed to mount them, the center core support is also part fan shroud I had to trim a lot of it and it really is only there to make sure the core support stayed where it needed to be. The bracket that holds the trans coolers also give the core its support back (that sounded funny in my head). the latch does fit but I had to remove the plastic cover and the bottom bolt is awkward but OK. My hoses match up perfect now and if I ever and an upgrade, Mishimoto make radiator and fans. I do have some minor plastic trimming to do behind the bumper but the grill insert will also appear unaltered.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some bottom shots of the radiator, it does have a place for a sensor on the passenger side. Also the dryer on the drivers side of the condenser wanted to be in the headlight just a bit, had to take a dremel to it, Also since I have my headlights out, I'm going to de-chrome the inner piece and maybe get crazy with a projector bulb/HID/LED ( I am a lighting guy for a living and a light nerd) Im definitely happy with how it all lined up, today is our 23rd day in a row over 105F!
Attached Images       
Old 07-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Traded my brand new 195/45-15s in for 185/55-15s in the same tread. I feel these will be a better fit. 1 inch taller than stock and .5 inch smaller than the donor engines stock size.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After redrilling for the RSX top hat I finally got the car back on its wheels. I plan on having the extra holes filled or at least covered with plates but for now it will remain ugly. I made a template out of an old tophat so no matter what both sides are a mirror image. If anything caster is -.5 from stock and with the car on its bump stops (as pictured) the car is sitting with ever so slightly negative camber, close enough for camber bolts to correct.

The last picture shows RSX base hubs/brakes/knuckles with calipers forward. I welded tabs on the strut body for sway bar and brake line mounts and used Insight brake likes.
Attached Images      
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gas tank removed, sound deadening in the rear is done, interior pieces starting to find their way back in. Not picture is I stuffed the rear panels with polyfill. This car should be a lot quieter!
Attached Images    
Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 451 Likes on 417 Posts

Making great progress!

I want to know if the sound deadening is worth the effort. You have two insights so back to back testing is possible.

I don't find the cabin to be crazy loud on my Insight but it could always be better.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ryanthegreat1
I want to know if the sound deadening is worth the effort.
HAHA, I've been asking the same question. Two of the biggest complaints I had about the car was the primitive CVT technology and road noise. Im sure it has a lot to do with the RE92's but I figured since I was going all the way I'd see If I couldn't improve it some. I used RaamAudio product to the tune of $300 and about 60 pounds and quite a few hours. I did double it up in the wheel well areas as well was the entire exhaust path. I did go a bit basic on the doors as I can do them after the car is running. The sub box, battery and amps will all be in the space that the IMA gear left open. I now have a convenient 1/0 path from the battery to the front of the car. When its done Ill take you for a ride.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BongoBennie
I now have a convenient 1/0 path from the battery to the front of the car. When its done Ill take you for a ride.

I routed my +12v 4 gauge from the battery in the former IMA space to the engine bay using the factory route. The one that runs along the floor on the drivers side through the A pillar and under the front drivers side fender. Works great. Put the wire in wire loom and taped it up and then got all the clip in zip ties from honda to secure it just like factory.

Kind of a pain to have to take the fender liner and fender off to do it but it does make for a super clean install.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speaking of clean install, I did have to carve a hole into one of my headlights and since I'm going to do the put them in the oven trick to open them and do the gluing I need to do but since I'm there, paint the inner trim black. I have my fenders off, bumper off and hood is easy off too (wiring that stock route will be a snap as well as adding high end speaker wire to the doors).

Now I was very cool with not painting the car and keeping the faded scratched car but I've been looking at the plasti dip videos and If I'm ever gonna have the chance, this is it. Been looking at wraps too but DIY is a must and that stuff aint cheap. They have a flat aluminum that could make jams easy and no basecoat but could paint it flat brown as well!!
Old 08-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Installed rear shocks and springs (one side at a time with a pry bar in the suspension arm tube, wink wink) as well as a clean gas tank. ran a few strips of sound deadening on the bottom of the car for good measure and reinstalled plastic belly pans....... my buddies cars are nice!
Attached Images    
Old 09-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a whole mortgage worth of ricer tax sitting there!
Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, you should see his friends cars! He welded my return on my oil pan for me.... it's nice to have talented friends. @virtualworks
Attached Images   
Old 09-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gonna have to step up my aluminum welding game. That looks great!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So just an update, spent the summer building a new shed workspace, upgrading electrical panel (220 for days), ditched my #2 insight, crv and crx trailer projects and finally looking at the Insight again. For the intake manifold I decided to buy the Weapon R unit and turn it into a shorty however were going to try and bend it back.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:56 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

BONGO WHERE YOU AT?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still here and chugging along, still in the process of building new workspace and closet for wife, I did get my axles in from Insane Shafts in which fit great, I also bought a $430 Weapon R Intake manifold and cut it up but it wasn’t so pretty, not a complete loss but close enough. Lesson learned is spend $1200 for a pro to do it for you https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...rbage-3313170/ .... I did however get my TIG welder in working order so while some money is wasted I am getting better at my welding skills. Pulling the engine this week so I can button up a few things and by summer at latest will have her running.

Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OooooOOoo air to water, me likey! I have one on my 7mgte swapped pickup works nice! Is that a frozenboost core?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OooooOOoo air to water, me likey! I have one on my 7mgte swapped pickup works nice! Is that a frozenboost core?
it is, sorry for the lag in repley
Old 04-02-2018, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I figured an update is due for the 5 people into this thread. Tax money in hand I bought all the bits and pieces for the turbo oil supply, several ARP bolts for the tight fit turbo manifold (remember its a k20a2 HKS unit I redrilled), gaskets, mufflers, u-bends and flanges. I ran the manifold on a large belt sander and its on for good, all water fittings attached and engine in for the last time for a while at least........ But what I've REALLY been up to and spending my car money on is my garage space. As of today I have my lift at my own house, car in and door shut. Besides stripping down the red car I still have a a bit of work to do but my silver car will be back in the game and I can do all my wiring at my own house..... then I will finish the build thread in no time and start on #2
Attached Images        
Old 04-05-2018, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Progress!

Quick heads up, those thrust needle bearings that come with the GC kit are JUNK! Pulled my struts out to swap springs tonight and the bearings were crushed to dust. No surprise there really, but to happen in only 6 months? I think a delrin bushing is going to be my solution.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been thinking so much about my 2nd insight that finishing this build has felt almost like a chore so after some deep soul searching I've decided on two pretty drastic changes. Fist off there will be only one as I'm going to strip #2 for parts and i will be doing an auto to manual swap on my engine swap, the second change is I will be wiring in KPro for E85 sensor among a few other capabilities. I also won't be limited on power due to the A/T. I will probably add a good year to the project as well a few extra dollars but it will satisfy my want for the ultimate commuter car.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Progress!
its the whole 3 steps forward two steps back routine.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make that 6 (people into this thread). Very jealous of your lift. After two previous D-series swaps without anything but a floor jack and some jack stands, I finally broke down and bought a hoist and an engine stand. A lift would be...spoiling me lol.

Mak
Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, looks awesome!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Made some progress.... since I felt the automatic was going to be more trouble than it's worth (considering its already installed) I decided to swap to manual...... the problem I then ran into is the Fit manual gearbox has rather short gears and lots of complaints about the car's high revs in 5th on the freeway, compounded by the fact I want to run a smaller tire on my car it wasnt looking good. After a few months of studying and asking questions it turns out the 03-05 Civic Hybrid share the same case design. I basically swapped an 08 Fit clutch side case to everything else Civic Hybrid, the outer case and the insides of both cases are identical in every way.

Needless to say I'm much more excited about this car now.

Quick Reply: Build thread-1G Insight w/L15a Fit A/T ultimate commuter