Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

2011 Honda CRZ horn button not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Honda CRZ horn button not working

Hello!

I own a 2011 CRZ and had an airbag recall done. Unfortunately, the horn button on the right side of the steering wheel hub quit working. I noticed this after a couple days following the airbag replacement but waited quite a while to report it to the dealer (45 miles away). So, now they are slow to want to fix it, because the assumption is that something else has happened and I'm trying to get free work. I take the blame for that.

They are saying they will "see what they can do" and get back with me Tuesday but in the meantime, I'm expecting that I'll have to pay to have this done. Having looked at it after doing an oil change, they are saying it's related to a bar in the steering wheel. A pin that actuates the horn is broken???

In summation, I'm wanting to know how to get to the apparatus and what parts might be necessary. Perhaps I can fix it myself.

If they turn out doing the repair for free, great, but I totally understand if they choose not to given my delay in turning the problem in. So, while I wait to get their decision I'd like to find out how big a deal it is to fix this myself.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts
Default Re: 2011 Honda CRZ horn button not working

The horn plate is part of the airbag module.

This National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA.gov) link is to the service bulletin for the driver's airbag inflator: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...6V061-9808.pdf

Step 6 of the bulletin shows that part of the old horn plate is cut and removed from the module to access the failed/faulty inflator.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tech8
The horn plate is part of the airbag module.

This National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA.gov) link is to the service bulletin for the driver's airbag inflator: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...6V061-9808.pdf

Step 6 of the bulletin shows that part of the old horn plate is cut and removed from the module to access the failed/faulty inflator.
"The horn plate is part of the airbag module."

So, in other words, to fix this takes a new airbag module...not just some inexpensive part.... I think they said that there are pins that push the actual horn button when you press the steering wheel up one way or the other to use the horn. As I recall they said one was broken off. And, of course, they didn't test the horn after doing the repair...

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Global Moderator

Generally on Hondas, when the horn is pressed, the horn switch (which is normally open) closes and ground (-) is sent through the circuit's wiring and other components to sound the horns. If the horn does work when pressed at certain parts, it would sound like part of the horn plate is not making contact to close the switch.

Did they take the airbag module off to examine it?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Global Moderator

So, the horn does work when pressed on the left side?

If so, that sounds more like an issue with the horn plate contacts. Look more at step 6 of the service bulletin: There is a copper contact on each side of the airbag module. The space between the two copper contacts on the horn plate should be between 1.1 and 1.9 mm.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:27 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tech8
Generally on Hondas, when the horn is pressed, the horn switch (which is normally open) closes and ground (-) is sent through the circuit's wiring and other components to sound the horns. If the horn does work when pressed at certain parts, it would sound like part of the horn plate is not making contact to close the switch.

Did they take the airbag module off to examine it?
I have no idea if they did that or not. As I recall, the woman who reported the problem to me quickly said something about a pin being broken. She said they tried moving a bar back and forth to try to get it to work....