Notices
Honda Insight & CR-Z Hybrid Honda Insight and CR-Z Hybrid discussion forum.

2011 Honda CR-Z motor power inverter poops out at 66k mi

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 02:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Honda CR-Z motor power inverter poops out at 66k mi

It's with a heavy heart that I post seeking advice on my CRZ. I bought it new in 2011 and kept it in good condition, suffering only one rear-end (my rear) collision. Otherwise I have kept up with its fluid changes and maintenance, changed a few headlight bulbs, tires and other minor damages, and upgraded the electric battery software a couple years ago. Great handling and mpg. Warranty expired after 5 years.

Now at 66k mileage, my CRZ decided to start giving me issues. A couple days ago the IMA system/check engine/check battery connection warnings lit up my dash. I got home and found that when I turned the key in the ignition, there was a 1 second delay before it ignited and started, but it did start and was driveable. But the dashboard indicated no activity of the electric battery. The 12V battery in the front stayed at around 12.5V when starting the car, so I figured it was the alternator.

I soon found out this car has no alternator (I'm sorry I'm not familiar with mechanics). Instead, an "integrated motor assist" (IMA) system connects the 12V battery and the electric battery and works in conjunction with the engine. I take it to the dealer, who keep it a couple days and finally I'm told it's the motor power inverter, and that the replacement and the job would bring me up to about $3100. I just finished paying it off earlier this year and now I'm rather annoyed.

I'm the kind of person that takes care of their car. I expected this one to take me to at least 100k mi. But the more I read about the way this car was engineered, the more it aggravates me. I never had any complaints about any of its features, its performance, and I even adapted to the horrible blind spots. I'll pay the $3100 and get that part replaced for now, but I'm now looking ahead and thinking, is it worth it to keep it as long as I can or should I trade it in for something more standard and reliable, like a Civic? I'm afraid it will be harder and more expensive to find parts for it as it ages.

At 66k mileage, I'm at that point where a car owner starts to wonder: Do I get rid of it (I could get a trade-in deal and put the money down for a new Honda) or stick with it and hope this new Motor power inverter lasts me at least another 5 years and the rest of the important/expensive parts don't fail me?? If I plan to get rid of it, how many more miles can I go before safely trading it in for a good deal? If I choose to stick with it, is there anything more I can do to prevent other expensive parts from failing me on this car for as long as possible?

Any thoughts, anecdotes, advice would be appreciated.