Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

pros and cons of a fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Eat me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons of a fit

i'm a week or 2 from selling my current car(lexus sc430) and getting a fit. seems like im lusting over one or having a fit over it. ha(corny i know)

anyway, what do you all like about your fit and what don't you like about it. i'm probably going with a 2012 fit sport w/ navi

if there is anything you don't like about your fit could it be modded/replaced/upgraded to something you like more?

thanks
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: pros and cons of a fit

Navi is a waste of money, get a Garmin. The little window forward of the driver's door window is the perfect place to mount one.

Fit needs a 6th gear in manual & auto, anything over 65-ish and you can basically watch the gas hand drop.

I've been told the 2012's are quieter on the inside, so that's a good thing.

Not many complaints really, you just can't expect too much. Its slow as *****.

If I had it to do over again, I would take a really good look at the Civic because I think better mpg could be achieved....too bad a Civic hatch isn't made or I'd probably own one instead of the Fit.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Eat me

Is it fairly simple to replace the standard radio with a 2x din radio/cd something that looks better than the stock non-navi radio. I have oem navi in both my cars currently and for the most part use my androids google maps due to traffic and maps being constantly updated.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got an 08 Fit (GD) that I bought as a commuter vehicle.

Cons: thin (nearly non existent) carpet. Almost fuzzy coated plastic. Relatively noisy (but I know that some can be tackled with sound deadening, I just haven't gotten to it). Terrible arrangement of the trans dipstick (hard to get to without having the filter housing out of the way)

Pros: versatile seating, lots of room, good real world mileage, Honda quality, wing window great for speaker pods (like the ones I built but could be used for gauges etc...)

I would worry about coming from a Lexus to an entry level subcompact. The only reason that I would get rid of my Fit is if my family expands and I need more space.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Burrito
Is it fairly simple to replace the standard radio with a 2x din radio/cd something that looks better than the stock non-navi radio. I have oem navi in both my cars currently and for the most part use my androids google maps due to traffic and maps being constantly updated.
That's what I did, granted I had best buy actually do the install. The dash looks much better with the nav console, but paying Honda's price for nav isn't worth it.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Eat me

Do you have a pic? What kind of head unit?
Old 09-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've sold the setup but this was a Valor double din.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I have: 2011 fit sport w/ navi. picked it up about a month ago brand new off lot over the 2012.

cons: the car is loud, it’s not ur lexus with tons of sound denting. the car is under powered, but that is expected. although the car gets great reviews of its handling, it could use upgrades to help chassis flex (ull know what i mean when u drive it, potentially strut bar and under support bars). the brakes are not sufficient, even for a relatively light weight car. They need to be either replaced by integra type-r brake setup, big brake kit, or simple replace rotors and pads. the navigation feels like a 10 year old system, it is definitely not worth the money. i bought mine with it because it was the only MR on the lot and i did not want to wait. lastly, i feel that the biggest con to the GE8 honda fit is it the lack of aftermarket support in the USA. although im too poor to probably buy any BALLER parts, when i do have money, i like to see variety and selection. unfortunately, our cars are not like the GD3 fits with tons of parts (lip kits, brakes, intakes, headers, suspension, force induction, etc.)

pros: much if this will contradict what i have stated for the cons. the difference is that comparing the fit to others cars similar in size, the FIT definitely looks better and performs better. although the fit is slow, the power delivery feel pretty good. i have driven a xion xa, xb, and the new nissan versa and by far the fit feels quicker. moreover, the handling. this car is not ur s2000 nor is it an fa5 which i have owned both in the past. steering is similar to the fa5 si but is not as precise due to chassis flex. pair that with the poor brakes and one can get quite frustrated. regardless, the vehicle it fun to drive. More pros, the interior is built to suit its price and is very versatile in using its space. i pick up janitorial supplies every now and then and this car can fit so many boxes with ease. before, my accord would only allow me to fit half an order.

just a suggestion, because many make the mistake, if you're looking for a rocket out of the box do not get a fit. get and si. both car are relatively close in price (by relatively, i mean by a few grand). unless one has the money, the fit will not be as fast as an si. but if you are looking for a practical vehicle, that is new, and is tons of fun in all sorts of ways, get the fit!

to be honest, i love my fit. Although this is based on opinion, I think the fit is the best looking hatch looking car out there right now. i just wish there was more support.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had mine since February 2009. Base model, manual trans. Just over 41,000 miles. I traded in a 2001 Mustang GT for it. Here is what I have to say, in addition to some of the things others have said above.

Pros: Cheap maintenance.
TONS of cargo room. The rear seats fold flat incredibly easily.
I'm 6'5" tall and I fit very comfortably.
It's pretty peppy because it's so light. It handles surprisingly well for an economy car, especially considering how tall it is.
I drive the hell out of it and I still get 30 mpg.
MP3 input right in the dashboard...very convenient.

Cons: It feels like it was cheaply built. Every time you hit a bump, you feel it.
The windshield is huge and it's slanted so it's really hard to clean the inside of it (small detail, I know).
The front seat head restraints/headrests push your head slightly forward and this is an issue especially for taller people. As far as I've seen there is no aftermarket fix for this.
Odd tire size = expensive tires. The factory tires cost $169.00 if I remember correctly.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrito
i'm a week or 2 from selling my current car(lexus sc430) and getting a fit. seems like im lusting over one or having a fit over it. ha(corny i know)

anyway, what do you all like about your fit and what don't you like about it. i'm probably going with a 2012 fit sport w/ navi

if there is anything you don't like about your fit could it be modded/replaced/upgraded to something you like more?

thanks
If you're accustomed to luxury car interior quality, downgrading is hard to do.

Just buy a
Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Eat me

Originally Posted by TunerN00b
If you're accustomed to luxury car interior quality, downgrading is hard to do.

Just buy a
well our short list is quite varied but it comes down to a 2012 fit, a 2012 mazda 3 hatch with the new skyactvi engine, or the lexus ct200h.
test drove all 3 and obviously the lex is quite, smooth, and super nice inside
the mazda is a middle of the road btw the 3 but I'm not sure how this sky active technology will play out(in terms of reliability) and the fit is the biggest in terms of cargo space, but also the cheapest feeling inside and ride.

all 3 have their pros, price of the fit, all around of the mazda, and luxury and mpg of the lex

cons, cheapness of fit, all around of the mazda(and smile front number), and price of the lex
Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Sensational

I have owned my '07 Fit for a year:

Things I don't like:
-In the auto, no dead pedal. Really?
-Really easy to accidentally turn off the stereo while adjusting the volume
-carpet is thin
-lack of a 6th gear on the hwy
-not great MPG if you live in an dense area like LA
-slow, slow, slow
-parts believe it or not can be a little challenging to source during an emergency
-weird tire size

What I like:
-It will start
-stock stereo in the Sport model is pretty nice
-fairly decent build quality
-feels kinda sporty
-
-reliable
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My girl picked up a 09 sport in red back in late 08 and she has some complaints but loves it for the most part.
bads (from her):
-Cheap carpet
-didnt come w floor mats or a cargo cover
-A/C doesnt blow very cold on super hot days (100+ f)
-sluggish up hills with passengers
From my point the only drawback is its automatic trans and its milano red(not my 1st choice when taffeta white or metalic orange are offered)

like said above dont expect a rocket out of the box or the ability to find parts like you can for civics. But it is very versatile and pleasant to drive through crowded cities like San Francisco or LA
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its an ok car....doesnt do anything great...gas mileage was sad (my 00 em1 got about the same gas mileage before the motor swap)
it is cheap to own and the insurance is cheap
the biggest downfall to the car....its a friggin tin can...mine just got totalled out on saturday after getting rear-ended by a suv going 35mph. if you get nailed by anything with some decent weight going 50mph+ kiss your *** goodbye.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

About the brakes, I would say they are very adequate. It's the tires that are the problem. I track my Fit over here and do a ton of touge running with it. Brake setup is not an issue. I am running different pads (ProjectMu HC+ front and rear) as well as ProjectMu brake lines, but stock calipers and rotors and the car stops without issue. Tires are AD08s so that also attributes. I just don't believe that an ITR or equivalent setup is needed in this car. I was thinking of going with a ProjectMu 4piston setup up front, but have not pulled the trigger, because I have never experienced a need as of yet. About the tires, go to a 205/50 and your choices become wide open. Running diameter is practically the same, you will lose a slight bit of FE though if that concerns you, nothing really drastic.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

con:
-awkward driver's arm rest

pro:
-perfect trip car and awesome accessories
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad bought an 09 fit sport a couple years ago now, almost 3, and it is a fun car.
the only cons he has:
-it has a weird tire size, and the tires the factory have on it are terribly loud, although they lasted him 60,000 miles.
-the A/C doesn't blow super cold, but we live in WA so we only would use it a few days out of the year anyway.
-the stupid windows in front of the drivers and passenger windows, kinda block your view of the road especially at night, i think they are annoying.
-sucks going up long hills, especially with people in the car.

the but pro's:
-he gets around 37mpg, and has put almost 65,000miles on it in just under 3 years.
-GREAT in accidents, he slid with my sister in the passenger seat, across a 3 lane freeway at 60mph, through the middle dirt area, took out a MPH sign, and ended up on the opposite side of the opposite lanes. Only a dent where the sign hit the car and that little window broken, the tires even all kept air.
-its nothing fast, but kinda fun to just zip around in and mess with it. You never feel the v-tec or anything.
-Its super roomy, can fold down back seats and fit tons of stuff in it, and it has a ton of leg room too.
-Its a honda, they last forever
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my 2011 sport. I actually bought it for my familys company to run AAA road service calls i.e Lockouts, tire changes and that sort.

I was more into the car at first because of its cargo space. It's pretty crazy how much room it has. I knew the car wouldn't have much power at all and wasn't expecting much.

But after driving this car for about 8 months now it's still freakin fun to drive. I was pretty surprised by it's lil pep and it's handling. It has excellent turn radius, it'd be almost impossible to be blocked in somewhere with this lil guy.

The ten cup holders is pretty cool. You can have five heads double fistin on da way to vegas ha ha.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy had one. Not bad, but gas mileage was weak, i thought.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cons: slow as hell

Pros: slow as hell with great gas mileage and less speeding tickets with lots of grocery room.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's all based upon your personal preference, gas mileage is ok for a small economy car, not too slow but not too fast also...
Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you live somewhere that snows...The Fit may not be fore you since it sits relatively low to the ground.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gee it seems to go in the snow pretty good according to owners in ALASKA and they probably get a lot more snow than any state in the lower 48.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what did OP buy? hasn't been back here in a while.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by claymore
Gee it seems to go in the snow pretty good according to owners in ALASKA and they probably get a lot more snow than any state in the lower 48.
It would go really well with some Blizzaks. On some roads that aren't plowed well, my wife and I have been stuck before. I totally dig it in the summer because the car is fun to drive but I personally would drive something else in the winter if there is a lot of snow.

Michigan doesn't get as much snow as Alaska, but when we get it... we get dumped on.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of a fit